My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Larry Siefferman here (lsiefman). I am 60 yrs old and single, living in southeastern Indiana. Make my living operating heavy machinery out of Local #18. Part owner of a 60 acre farm with two ford tractors, an 8N and a 801. I'm having trouble with the select-o-speed 801. I was mowing grass last Saturday when the PTO and transmission both stopped working. Thought I migth be able to get some info on this problem on this website.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

Welcome, Larry.

I'm ignorant when it comes to the SOS, so... I'll have to defer to one of the more knowledgeable fellows... one of them should be along directly.

We'd sure like to see some pictures of your tractors....

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Larry,
Does the tractor run? Does the Tractor move in any gear? Check to see if the diconnect lever on the round hydraulic cover on the left side of case under seat is in the disconnect position(freewheeling). It usually held on by a nut. Best to get the service manual for the SOS, just make sure you get the right one for your trans. Earlier 801 models had the ORC trans, the later models had the DDC trans. The trans could have been changed out. Ford had a program in the mid sixties where you could bring in your old ORC trans and exchange it for a new DDC trans for about $600. Check the #'s on the side of the trans.

Kirk

·
16,814 Posts
Welcome aboard also! :Welcome1:

Sorry I can't help w/ ur questions on the Ford--but this will bump it up..

glenn

·
Registered
595 Posts
On the left side of the tractor, there is a round plate on the hydraulic system reservoir. on that plate there should be the hydraulic fluid dipstick and a thing with two wrench flats (about 1/2") that looks like a fluid level check plug. if there is no retainer on it, it may have rotated clockwise and disengaged itself. rotate it counter-clockwise with a wrench to re-engage it if it has disengaged inadvertently.

on my 881 SOS, sometimes i really needed to give it some muscle in addition to SLOWLY and GENTLY letting out the incher pedal to it's "friction point" to spin the tranny output shaft to allow the splines on the shaft and coupler to line up.

i also strongly recommend getting all of the associated manuals to help troubleshoot and maintain your machine. SOS tranny's are pretty cool, just as long as they work right, and they're only going to work if they're properly maintained!

good luck!

tmm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the quick responses about my sos problems. Went to my local Ford dealer yesterday and was told that either the pump went out or the torque limiting clutch has failed. Either way I have to split the tractor. They can repair it for me but the hourly rate is 85.00 per hour. I know a couple of good mechanics who I think can help me with this problem that won't charge nere that much. Thanks again for the suggestions about my problem. SEMPER FIDELIS Steve. [email protected]

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
I certainly hope that the repair shop that you went to wasn't just trying to get a hefty repair job in...

I guess you checked that disconnect... and the incher pedal adjustment that TMM mentioned?

:goodl: and I hope you get her going, soon...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts