My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Joined as I had a John Deere 345 and do to a recent theft will soon aquire a John Deere 540.

Stored at a cottage property in a locked garage so would like to learn any tips on how to secure it.

Looks like a great site !!

cpStrickland

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Welcome to MTF, glad to have you here. Sorry to here about your 345, and congrats on the 540.

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
How did the thieves get it out of the locked garage? If it's an isolated property, they would have plenty of time to break in and do the deed and no worry about any noise. There are several things you could do depending on how much you want to spend.

1. An alarm system with a contracted security company monitoring it would get the police there even if there are no nearby neighbors to hear the noise.

2. Brick up all windows in the garage and replace all doors with steel ones with heavy duty dead bolts. This will only slow them down if they are determined and cause them to make more noise before they are done.

3. Keep the tractor at your home and buy a trailer to haul it back and forth.

·
Super Moderator
16,532 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

Now I'm no expert by any stretch but I'm from Detroit originally and know a little about theft (I've had my own garage broke into twice) so heres what I did.

First if you have a concrete floor either drill a hole and put an solid iron eye bolt into an anchor or what I prefer is find the spot you want to put your equipment (mine is along the wall and flush with the floor that way I don't trip over it) cut out a small section of the floor an cement it in.

Make sure you put rebar in that way they cant just pull the section out and get your equipment, the lash all you stuff together tractor mower, motorcycle, snowthrower etc.etc. using a good quality chain and lock (I like the Kryptonite NY city lock and chain).

At best all you can hope to do is make it tougher on the bad guys and hope they move on to easier pickings.

I hope this helps and welcome.

P.S. the anchor I use is the Y in ground model I hope I never have to take it out !

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have an X540. You're going to love it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello from Prince Edward Island!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Hi from Quebec. :Welcome1:

Nothing is thief proof, but like previously said the trick is to complicate the task to discourage the thief. :)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
would like to learn any tips on how to secure it.

heavy chain, through the frame, and anchored to a 12" diameter, 4' deep concrete pillar embedded in the ground. When I mean heavy chain, I mean 3/4" link-rod diameter.

they could always torch it off, or hacksaw it, but when they see chain this heavy, they'll just walk away.... most thieves are lazy.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
would like to learn any tips on how to secure it.

heavy chain, through the frame, and anchored to a 12" diameter, 4' deep concrete pillar embedded in the ground. When I mean heavy chain, I mean 3/4" link-rod diameter.

they could always torch it off, or hacksaw it, but when they see chain this heavy, they'll just walk away.... most thieves are lazy.
3/4" that would do it ! :fing32:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome from PEI

·
Super Moderator
32,822 Posts
If nothing else put a security camera in there somewhere that works on motion detection and stores to HDD. If you can't keep them from stealing, maybe you can put them behind bars!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts