My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Doo, good to have you aboard here and when you are able post your questions and the guys will try to help where they can :fing32:.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
get the large frame Simplicity.:fing32:....j/k
what machines are you torn between ?

and welcome to MTF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, here is the deal. I have a choice between a 2003 prestige and a 2007 conquest. Here are the specs

Prestige $3500- hydraulic lift for the mower, hydraulic lift for the snowblower, power steering, hydrostatic on the foot-forward and reverse, power turn on snowblower, angle chute from the seat. 20 hp 50 inch deck. 46 inch single stage snow blower. 300 hours

Conquest $3600- 165hrs and Power Steering
45" 2 stage snow blower attachment w/ weights
Briggs and Straton Vanguard Engine .23 hp 50 inch no power lift

I live in wis with an acre and a half lawn and a decent sized drive way I need to blow snow from. Both machines appear to be quite clean

Let me know what you guys think. Need to decide soon.

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
I was torn with the same decision a few months ago..Go with the Prestige! I work on these units everyday and after awhile the deck/implement lever on the conquest gets sloppy and needs replacement or repair.

Besides that you got power steering on the prestige.

Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
511 Posts
Both units are extremely nice units to be sure...I almost bought a Conquest...until I drove the Prestige.

Here's a simple test...drive both...especially with the blowers and weights on and see which one you would rather drive around with early in the morning blowing snow...there's simply no comparison in this regard as you can one finger the wheel on the Prestige while manning-up with the Conquest. Also, as noted in a earlier post, the hydraulic lift will be very beneficial with the blower and further adds to the ease of driveability and useability.

However, further considerations must come into play here...I believe you said you're from Wisconsin...and we all know how much snow you all can get up there. Some prefer two stage blowers, others single stage. Personally, I prefer a two stage slightly more, though if a single stage is operated properly I believe one can have superb results with it as well...I believe the key with a single stage is maintaining the right ground speed as compared with whatever speed one desires with a two stage.

Further, being a 4 years newer comes into play to some...to me, if in equal condition the difference in age and hours is a non-issue...hence, the somewhat similarity in pricing as quite frankly, most would likely choose the Prestige over the Conquest for the reasons I stated above given equal condition.

Both are superb machines to be sure...and I just saw that the Conquest has power steering so that nullifies one of my main points...but the power lift and power chute is also quite nice in use and must be considered a major plus.

Both have the very fine 50" deck so mowing quality should be identical.

Finally...even though most will say it isn't a consideration, peoples lives can change, so resale should also be a consideration...and of course we all age, so the power lift seemingly gets more important as we get older.

Let us know which you decide on, but seriously, both will do an outstanding job and you can't go wrong with either of these superlative units.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Buy two old large-frames (7000-series) with blowers, mowers, blades for $1500 total tops and spend the rest on beer! :)

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I have a Conquest, and love it. My snow blower has the power chute turn, with the manual lift. My take on the manual lift is that there is less to break in the future, although there are times I'd like a power lift. During the summer, no issue, since I raise and lower the mower seldom, but when snowblowing, it would be nice to have the power lift. However, with the spring assist, lifting the blower takes little effort.
Power steering is a plus, which I don't have, but I don't need it except for maneuvering in tight quarters in the garage with the snow blower mounted. Other than that, I repeat, simpler is better for me. I inflate the front tires to near their maximum pressure, and the steering is not at all bad.
Both are great machines, and I would have trouble choosing between them. I suppose the engine might be a deciding factor, but it's still a close call. You can't lose with either one, IMO.
Everyone has made valid points, just adding my 2¢.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I purchased my Conquest 20/54 in 2003 and love it for mowing. 7 years later, I wish I had a Prestige because my Conquest doesn't have any power steering or lifts. Lifting my 54" deck and other attachments and turning and manuevering in tight place w/o PS gives me work out. I would opt for the Prestige because of the power assists. I think the only difference here might be the hours on the Conquest vs the Prestige. If the Prestige is well maintained then I don't think you would have any more long-term problems over the Conquest with lower hours. I also think that the Prestige might have a tuffer trans than the Conquest. Maybe someone can verify that in this post.

Good luck on you selection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys, thanks for all the imput, one more to throw in the mix. See below.

Simplicity Landlord DLX 20 HP Hydrostatic Garden Tractor 2000 model year with 384 hours. Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-Twin Engine, Differential Rear Tire Lock for added traction, Power Steering, Cruise Control. Simple No Tools required changing the mower deck and snow blower attachments. Hydraulic on the dash lift for the 50" 3 bladed mower deck with full width rear rollers, from the seat cutting height adjustment. Hydraulic lift 40" 2 stage snow blower with from the seat chute adjustment. Extra snow blower hitch ($120.00 value) as I purchased this snow blower three years ago and is like new. Rear removable carrier with (2) 50# suitcase weights for added winter traction. New Deluxe seat with armrests, rear halogen work light, original sale brochure, complete operating and parts manuals for Tractor, Mower Deck and Snow Blower. I think I can get this one for about 500 less than the other 2. Any thoughts and thanks for all the help.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
The Prestige does have a sturdier trans than the Conquest, and I believe that it has a filter as well. My Conquest does not have a filter. Both are ground-engaging, but the Prestige is stronger.
You must feel like a kid in a candy store! Lucky you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rcubman,

Yeah it is great.

Glad I got the wife to agree to let me buy it. Helps when I can sell her on it mowing grass and blowing snow.

Now I just need to decide which one of the three to buy.

Decesions, decesions, decesions.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would make a decision between the Conquest & Prestige...and of course from my avatar you can see I'm slightly biased towards the Prestige.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Having owned both the Landlord Deluxe and currently the Prestige I would go with the Prestige. The power steering is full time and the lift is nicer. As far as the blowers go the single stage will do you you fine. I traded my two-stage in for the single stage for two reasons. This is just my own situation. I keep it out back in a shed and to get around to the driveway it drifts in alot and I had to go and buy more weights cause the two-stage sticks out farther in front plus I clear some driveways for my son (home builder) and the two stage was harder to load cause of sticking out more. The last thing is the lift. After mowing for many years I want the the tractor to do the lifting. I know the springs can be set to ease the effort but its nice to move the lever! Now that we are in the collecting and restoring mode I wish I had my Deluxe back to play around with.
Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The DLX sure sounds like a nice package, especially with the power steering. I believe that the PS is a fairly rare option on that model. It sure is tempting. It has all the right bells and whistles with a few extra thrown in like the suitcase weights, a nice seat and work light. The hours are about the same as the Prestige and you would be saving some green stuff. Right now if I was you I would be very confused, but enjoying every minute of it!:fing20:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well guys, here is another wrinkle. I guy has agreed to 2300 delivered to my door and it has the power flo bagger. Thinking this is a slam dunk. what do you think? again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I made the desision on my legacy a few months ago because it had a powerflow bagger system on it. Leaf season isn't here yet but I've mowed with it, and it works GREAT. No more leaf raking for me. DLX for 2300? Would really depend on what shape it's in. I look at condition of the machine, not just what year it is.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Did you decide which unit you are going with? Having owned a Landlord I know it will handle the snowblower but I would add two more weights to it. Speaking from experience. You will like the pickup system if you go with the Landlord. You didn't specify which one. I have the 17 bushel unit, trailer behind the tractor. Also have the electric shute and the adjustable hood from the seat. One thing I really enjoy with my Prestige is the full-time power steering versus the power assist. Not a real big thing. The best thing is that all three units are Simplicity!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. The machine I decided on is the landlord. The guy really seems like he loves his lawn and therefore his lawnmower. Really looks cleaner than the newer mowers even though all three were in nice shape. I will get some pictures posted for you if you like when he delivers it tomorrow. Again thanks for all the advice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts