My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a financial advisor that knows his finance but not his tractor

Looking to sell my John Deere AWS 425 tractor. It has 925 hours on the unit. However it just had the linkage that connects the front stearing to the rear steering area break. Unfortunately I am no motor head and I am not sure how to fix this unit so I am off to purchase a new deere lawn mower on Monday. I have a spare set of wheels 4 wheels and rims that I purchased for this tractor back approx. 9 years ago but I am not sure what something like this is worth. It is built like a tank and always starts right up... Any ideas what I should ask, Middletown, PA.

PS... Any pros or cons I am looking to purchase a smaller X300 series to replace this one.

Thanks

[email protected]

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:MTF_wel2:Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Super Moderator
17,117 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Why not just fix it? If it runs as nice as you claim I personally would fix what I have instead of getting a new one. Has to be cheaper then buying a new one isnt it?

·
10,839 Posts
It is built like a tank and always starts right up..
PS... Any pros or cons I am looking to purchase a smaller X300 series to replace this one.
Not to throw a wrench into your process here, but if the 425 is a 99 model or newer, you might consider having it fixed. Even if done at a dealership, the cost will be lower than a replacement mower. "It is built like a tank" is not a commonly heard term when discussing the X300's. They are well built machine, just not in the same category as the 425. So maybe tell us what you do with your 425 (other chores in addition to mowing) so we can get a feel for what your needs are. Now if you just mow with it, the X300's are an awesome choice. But I would hate for you to trade in that 425, get a new one, and in a month hear you wishing for a heavier unit.

Oh, pictures are a must.

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
I agree with Kansas JD, your 425 will outperform anything in the x300 class. Have you gotten a quote from your local dealer on what the cost to repair would be? See that you're from Middletown might be few forum members that'd help you out for some food and refreshments! Little too far from me in Titusville though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same part break on my 1993 425 AWS. It was a very easy fix that I did myself so I don't think the dealer would charge much labor. I sold the tractor to a neighbor about 8 years ago and it's still running great. It would definitely be a downgrade to the X300 series especially when it comes to snow removal if you use it for that. I believe the X300 will be louder and run hotter since it's not liquid cooled. You'll also end up with a narrower cut so your mowing time will increase. The X300 will probably give you a better looking cut though since it is narrower. If you have a lot of obstacles you will definitely miss the AWS. The X300 with a 42" deck leaves an uncut circle diameter of 56" which is considerably larger than your 425.
HTH

p.s. A friend just sent me an e-mail:

"Yeah, the other thing is that I am starting to push my current tractors limits a little, and can see why you kept saying get a bigger one. I am anxious to see how it works in snow. "

I talked him up from the X300 series to the X500 but he wouldn't consider the X700's which are more comparable to your 425. He's only had it one month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts