My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. I have a John Deere stx38 and L130. Currently trying to replace Black mower deck with a yellow one. Know I need at least Pto clutch, maybe Front axle and rear brackets. Or maybe changing decks is a wast of money and time?

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
I'm not an STXpert but they seem to be selling cheap enough that you might be able to buy a whole running yellow deck machine for just a bit more than you might end up spending on parts. Why do you want to do the swap? And:

:MTF_wel:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcomes. The reason I want to swap to a yellow deck is rocks. The part of Washington I live in has lots of rocks, in fact behind our property is a gravel pit. The yellow decks have a heavier gauge steel as you probably know. My black deck is shot. I've gone thru 3 blade pulleys, countless blades and the bracket that attaches the pulleys have bent and then they're out of alignment with each other and the belt pops off. I can straighten them a few times then the deck metal gives way. I probably would be better off buying one already set up. When I bought the yellow deck, I didn't realize the pto clutch is different, so's the front axle. The front and rear deck brackets, etc.

·
Super Moderator
35,973 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Wow sounds like you're putting the deck through the mill with all those rocks! Did you try eBay for the yellow deck and parts you need?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the rocks did a number on it. Yes, I bought the deck on Ebay and a pto clutch. The yellow deck rear brackets wont line up with frame as the yellow brackets are shorter than the black. Also the yellow deck mowers seem to have two welded brackets on the front axle that the front mower deck brackets attach to. I may be better off (as someone mentioned) buying an stx38 that already has a yellow deck, then use my deck as a spare. I'm also worried that the frames may be slightly different and is the reason the rear brackets are shorter. I went to my local John Deere shop and not one there had tried the swap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Yellow decks are tuff! I hit my share of rocks in NC and never sustained any damage (other than going through several sets of blades) in 19 years of mowing and brush cutting. Good luck getting one - you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought a 1993 stx38 with yellow deck. Has more get up and go than the black deck one and it ran pretty good. Mows really good. Thanks for the help guys. This solved my problem and now I have a spare mower for parts and a spare yellow deck. Just need an endless supply of blades haha! :fing32:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts