My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an older 212- from 1981 per the S/N. Ready to get busy. Engine is solid, a little fade to the paint and I will need a new seat, but a great little machine. I have a 38" mowing deck that will eventually need new bearings... any advice on where to source the parts? Some places sell bearing sets, others say to get individual spindles... I am confused, and don't want to break down the deck any more times than necessary.

Additionally, any old sage recommendations on what to pay extra attention to maintenance or in use?

I appreciate your recommendations- I don't enjoy being the new guy, not knowing the obvious, but its where we all start, right?

·
Administrator
21,553 Posts
Greetings, GeekBoyTulsa, and welcome to MTF. Don't worry about being the new guy. You'll get plenty of help and info around here, with lots of folks willing to lend a hand. I am going to move your post over to the John Deere section where the info you are looking for will be readily available. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
17,142 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1:and good luck with your 212. slkpk

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
Log on to http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc. You'll have to register, but then you can look up and order any parts you need for your 212. There are also schematics fo all the assemblies, with part numbers, so you can figure out what you need. The 200's are great, tough old machines, I really enjoy my 214.

:MTF_wel::Tractor2::MTF_wel::wwp:

·
Super Moderator
35,885 Posts
I had one for years and sold it last year. Here's things I would check out:

1. Rubber motor mounts not worn out
2. Good fuel lines from the tank forward to the fuel pump and the one from the fuel pump to the carb.
3. Change the oil in the engine
4. Change the oil in the transmission
5. Check the primary drive to variator belt (engine to variator) make sure not bacly worn (it is a pain to reinstall but worth it for piece of mind!)
6. Secondary drive belt (Variator) to rear transmission. Check to make sure belt is in good shape, check the rear pulley at the tranny to make sure it is not splayed out anywhere (if so it will jump off and stop you dead!)
7. Find the grease point for the steering up under the center of the tractor and make sure it is lubed properly.
8. Grease all the other zerks! (will really help the steering!)
9. The variator (place where the front and rear drive belts meet) should allow the center spacer to move left and right easily without a belt on it (best to check while replacing the belts) if not moving then the variator will not work, if not moving freely only a limited amount of speed variation will be available (assuming it's properly adjusted), by the way the variator is the small handle on the right side just forward of the steering wheel.
10. I would also take the tank out and flush it and remove the drain and clean the screen on the drain.

Deck - belts, spindles you already are considering and springs should be in good shape. Also check the idler pulley as they tend to wear out and then slightly tilt and throw the deck belt, or the shaft is worn and does the same thing.

That should get you started in the right direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts