My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm a new member from Sweden that has recently bought a Bolens QT16.

It has it's flaws and dents from years of use, but I've been restoring it to it's original condition.

Just have one problem after the restoration, I can't get a spark. Before the restoration it ran smooth and perfect, but now it just won't get a spark. It cranks and when i meassure if i get any "electricial" from the "flywheel, I do get electricial.

I have myself to blame for that I didn't mark which wires that was connected to what and so on.

It may not be the right section to post what my problem is, but I give it a shot and when I'm able to post in the "right" section I'll post it there too.

:

There are two yellow cables/wires that comes from the flywheel, then they connects to a silver box that have a third connection, where a red wire is connected. Does it sound like it's connected correct?at I tihink is a distributor

Then it has what I think is a distributor, it got two connections on it, one that Is marked positive and one that's negative.

What should be connected here?

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance dudes! :thanku:

/G:trink39:

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Welcome to MTF from over here.:Welcome1:

I'm not quite following what you have as far as a problem, but to clear things up, if you put a post in the " Small Engines and repair" section ( under the Tractor talk" bar,) there sure are a lot of folks that would be happy to help.

It's best to post your engine type, code, and serial number too, as Briggs made a lot of engines.

When you say " I don't get electrical" are you talking about " spark" ?

Is this the tractor you have? If so, then Hurray! for one making it to Sweden from WI, USA. :fing32:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer, I will post in that section.

Haha yep, that's the kind of tractor I have!

With electricial I mean:
I used a "voltmeter" (?) when I cranked the motor to see if the ignition gave any response. If you get what I mean?

Thanks man! :thanku:

·
10K and Climbin!
12,353 Posts
Thanks for the answer, I will post in that section.

Haha yep, that's the kind of tractor I have!

With electricial I mean:
I used a "voltmeter" (?) when I cranked the motor to see if the ignition gave any response. If you get what I mean?

Thanks man! :thanku:
:Welcome1: Gravkorv

there should be one wire that comes from the points to the negative coil connection. use a continuity tester to test them. (battery operated light) http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3099761&CAWELAID=166610904 Unhook the wire from the coil and test continuity between the wire and a good ground. (If it has an external coil) that wire should have a good connection to ground whenever the points are closed. Turn the engine slowly by hand and once they open (maybe two revolutions and the engine is a four stroke) the light will dim as the only ground will be travelling through the condenser only. The spark is triggered when the points open which excites the charged coil to release the stored electrical charge.. If there isn't a good ground the charge will not develop hence no spark. Hope this helps.. :goodl:

·
Super Moderator
33,673 Posts
Welcome to the site Gravkorv! Looks like you're already getting some help here while you wait to be able to post in the main forums. I'd recommend that you post your question in both the Bolens and Small Engine Repair forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts