My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome John, good to have you aboard with us. Sorry to hear you are having issues with your machine, maybe some of the guys can help if you let them know what you're working on, best wishes in getting this resolved :).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome John,
I am in NH too.
What kind of trouble are you having with your safety circuit?

Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome John,
I am in NH too.
What kind of trouble are you having with your safety circuit?
Eric
I can start the tractor.
When I take my foot off the brake, it shuts off.
More info.
Yesterday I started the tractor and took it out of the shed. Drove it 100 feet, shut it off, hooked up the baskets and pickup tube for the grass catcher. Got back on, started - and as soon as I took my foot off the brake, it shut off. Put my foot back on the brake and it stays running.
- with foot on brake - engaging the mower will also shut off the motor.
At first I thought it was the "seat switch". So I disconnected that and jumpered it with a paper clip. Still did not work.
Popped the IGNITION through the panel, and saw it was full of dust and crud. Cleaned it - and it worked!!!
For a while.
I stopped to empty the baskets twice. The first time, no problem, the second time, it would not stay running. Again, let off the brake it dies, or with foot on brake - can not engage the deck.

Thanks,
john

·
Registered
350 Posts
First thought, Sounds to me like one of the safety switches is not working correctly (or at all)
Do you have an ohm-meter? I would Test each switch to make sure they are all working 1st.

If you have the wiring diagram that woould help too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First thought, Sounds to me like one of the safety switches is not working correctly (or at all)
Do you have an ohm-meter? I would Test each switch to make sure they are all working 1st.

If you have the wiring diagram that woould help too.
That was my next question - anyone have a wiring diagram?
Because - it is safety swithceS
- seat
- Brake
- mower selonide engagement
and I think they all go to the inition switch ...

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Jumping or disconnecting the seat switch will still kill the engine on a lot of machines. When you unplug it, some connectors short themselves internally, defeating your intentions. Same result with shorting the connector. I would still suspect the seat switch, or a short in the wiring thereto.
The seat switch (may) unground the mag when you sit to allow the engine to run, so shorting the wires kills the engine anyway. Forum rules forbid us from telling how to bypass safety switches (good rule!), so you must troubleshoot another way.
If you have an ohmmeter, you could check the seat switch that way. If the switch is easy to remove from the seat, you could take it out and carefully eyeball it.

And,

:MTF_wel2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts