My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Man & Machine need Help
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I did my initial new member thing here and then proceeded to try and post a question relating to my tractor. A window popped up saying I am not allowed to do that.
Is there a certain amount of time I must wait before I can post? I'm doing it here but not there!

·
10K and Climbin!
12,306 Posts
Sorry bout the time limit but the Mod's had to do that to help combat the internet 'spammers' and other predators.. go ahead and post it here and I'm sure a Mod will be along and move it to the appropriate forum..

·
Man & Machine need Help
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
IH 3414 diesel with 3131 backhoe hydraulic questions.

Background info:
Picked up the tractor and owner said the hydraulics are slow. Got it home and checked the tank and it's very low. Hydraulics chattering when operated.

Steps performed:

1) Closed all cylinders on loader and backhoe. (pistons retracted completely)

2) Added hydraulic oil to tank within 2" of top of fill tube. (20wt)

3) Operate backhoe and loader, oil comes spewing out the top of tank.

4) Removed filter from tank,(Case/IH 471942R92) added more oil and operated loader and backhoe. They bled out quickly and ran smooth and fast. Perfection!

5) Installed new NAPA 1662 filter, added oil to tank, raised loader and as it was lowering oil started spewing out of vent on top of tank. What the...........

I have read in quite a few places that people don't have filters in their tanks, is this the reason why? I would rather run a filter but it seems it causes enough restriction on the supply to the pump to starve it. Is there another problem that is causing excessive gpm (too quickly) returning to the tank? When the filter is in place it seems to foam the oil vs. no filter, no foam.
Did it come originally with a screen basket rather than a paper element type filter?

I know it's a lot to read but I hope the info helps to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Glad to meet another resident of of Massachusetts. Just a few mile from my end of the state.
Don't know much about Ih but am wondering if the filter is the right one. Seems wrong filters cause problems quite often.
Good luck.

·
Man & Machine need Help
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wayne,
The filter numbers match what I have read on this site, both the Case/IH # and the NAPA #. It is a good suggestion and until I find "official" IH documentation regarding the proper filter that is what I went with.

I'm about 20 miles West of Noho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts