My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
My name is Jay Silva and when I was 4-5 y/o every week my mom, myself and my sister would go to my grandparents house one night a week to visit. I would go out with my "pepe" on the tractor and we would drive around all the surronding land around their house ,which is now developed, on the tractor. My Pepe died when I was in high school and my uncle took the tractor to his house where it has been sitting ever since.

Today we went to my Uncle's and had a B-day party for my son and I saw the tractor which has HUGE sentimental value to me with lot's of memories. I spoke to my uncle about the possibility of letting me get the tractor and rehabbing it. He seems Ok with the Idea. I am starting to do some research and came across this site and I also snapped a few pics.
It's a 1968-69 Jacobsen Super Cheif with a Kohler 12hp ( I think) engine. Uncle also has the mowing deck which seems to be made of aluminum, not stamped steel so it is in suprisingly good shape. My uncle told me that to his memory our next door neighbor has the plow so I will ask him next time I see him if it still around. Here are some pics.
I am attaching a pic of a tag and maybe someone could verify the year and engine for me or any info would be helpful
I saw a few guys in another forum on here that have their Jakes all taken apart and are sandblasting them and then painting. That is what I have in mind.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
Looks pretty good considering! Good luck!

·
Administrator
12,777 Posts
Nothing like a tractor with history. Nice machine to rebuild. Pepe would be proud!

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Nice Tractor. You have your work cut out for you, but that is the fun in it!
It takes patience and lots of research to find parts and info. The paint and decals
can still be had so you can get "carried away" depending on your plans.
There are many here people here to help.
Good luck!

Neil

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
If you don't have any manuals, look for a data plate on the lower left front of the grille housing and post the model and serial number. I will help you where I can.

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
Nice ol' machine and welcome!
It surely appears you are in the right neighborhood age wise. Some indicators:
No hole thru hood for fuel filler.
Hood has the "Push down and spread" type of hood closure(some one added the rubber retainer straps), the decals for this are still visible.
Stamped footrests.
Key start (relay), no push switch.
Pull knob for parking brake latch vs screw style.
Cannot see but I would guess the Power Drive (PTO) has the spring steel torque arresting plate on the top vs earlier L bracket below.

I must have rebuilt a dozen of those aluminum 42" decks! Made all sorts of parts and welded lots of smash ups and cracks! It welds well, straight aluminum (likely 356 alloy) w/o mag.
If by "plow" you mean front push blade, then it may not be original or heavily modified. The front mounting bracket has been altered with what looks like two 1/2" thick lugs vs the original folded 1/8" steel slot type mounts. The welded areas on you mount show the rust readily.

Should be a nice machine, though the hydro may take some work to assure no water damage. Good luck!

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Would you mind posting some pics of the plow when you get it.Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm getting itchy just looking at the poison ivy that mower deck is sitting in. Otherwise looks to be a good project, it even has the sweet optional whitewall tires :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting itchy just looking at the poison ivy that mower deck is sitting in. Otherwise looks to be a good project, it even has the sweet optional whitewall tires :)
A few people who have seen the pics said the same thing about the Poison Ivy, funny thing is I was all in that with shorts and flip flops for 30 minutes looking everything over. I have never been allergic to it.
Are those tires an upgrade? i though it was something Pepe did, now I know that I will keep them

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Jay, Your rear tires have the tread pattern of original tires. Although yours are the first
I've seen with whitewalls. The front tires seem to be replacements... popular
on golf carts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My first step would be to get it over to my house (as I said its at my uncles). Clean it off of all the leaves and stuff from sitting out for 10 plus years. Then try to get it running and in operational shape, then go about the restoration. Tires would be last

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jay,
I purchased a 1200 Super Chief in th fall of 2010. Expensive --- $25 surprisingly, I hauled it home, blew all the twigs ans leaves off of the unit and out of the carb, checked the oil, hooked up the jumped cables (no battery) and gave it a shot of gas from a squirt bottle. Ingition! It runs like a Swiss watch. Beautiful.
Enjoy your toy. Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts