My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On July 30th I took delivery of my first 'real' tractor - I was going between an LS-MT2-35E and a Kubota (model hadn't been chosen at that point)

I went with a fairly bare bones model for a few reasons, the main being it fit the CFO approval. I'm already feeling like I should have gone bigger, but more on that later.

• +LX2610su
  • +La535 loader
  • +R14 tires (14-17.5) - Rimguard loaded
  • +60" SSQA bucket
  • +PFL2042 - 42" pallet forks (2,000lb rating)

I have over 30 hours on her so far, and a lot of work done - but I've already also damaged it!

• Front grill has a crack from (i'm guessing) a branch or log as I was clearing some land with the bucket and a rented RCS
  • Lifting some long logs to move caused the rear end to fly up suddenly and back down, a log shifted and fell on the operators station cracking the moulding around the HST selector (no damage to the lever just the casing)
  • Something ripped the Kubota decals off the hood on the left side (i'm guessing branches)
Overall though it's been good. However it's back at the dealer, because I couldn't lift much without the rear tires coming off the ground. I could get a full load of woodchips in the bucket, but trying to dig, lifting anything more than small logs, trying to get a 800lb pallet out of a truck, etc all caused the rear to come off the ground. And digging, I felt that the breakout force was very lacking. Mind you, the breakout force is supposed to be upwards of 1700lb - but it doesn't seem to curl that much.

So they're checking the valves on the hydraulics, and they're having the tire load company pull the Rimguard out and check it because the technician who drove it around said it didn't feel right - they're thinking it's possible they didn't fully fill them.

Future purchases:
  • Box Blade
  • Possibly rear ballast (heavyhitch or similar that gives me a 2" receiver)
  • 3rd valve + Grapple
  • Tiller (renting for now)

I'm curious though what others thoughts are on the La535 and the LX2610 - I was talked into this instead of others as it was going to be enough, but on lift capacity I'm already a bit doubtful. It outright couldn't lift a pallet from a truck with 1,200lb on it, which is lower than max lift height. I was told (as in the quote from the dealer says this) it has a lift of 1,250lb - but there's no way that's true unless that's at the pivot with no SSQA/forks/etc on it.

They also claim - and this is a huge question I have for everyone on the forums - that I don't need anything more than loaded tires. That makes me think that either A: The La535 really, really sucks and just can't lift enough to need more ballast, or B: they don't expect people to lift things. My calculations put loaded 14-17.5 tires at only ~460lb of added weight - and it's not at the 3-point like most counter weight (which I figure would be better).

I think my biggest frustration with my purchase thus far is that the dealer knew i was looking at a tractor at LS that simply out guns this one, and so I'm feeling buyer's remorse. Mainly on the lift capacity, though the LS also had larger tires standard and a joystick for the loader vs a loader lever.

One thing I AM happy about: the goodyear r14's rock. They're not as crazy on the lawn as Ags would be, but I feel like they get way better traction in clay than bar tires. Though I 'thought' (wasn't clarified on the quote, went off verbal) that I was getting the largest tires - turns out they only buy the 14-17.5 not the 15-19.5 (though the SU can run the larger tires)

·
Premium Member
8,249 Posts
Kubota's brochure on their web site at the link below lists the lift capacity at the pivot pin at 1067 lbs., and 769 lbs. at 19.7 inches forward of the pin. If the dealer claimed it was 1,500 lbs., then he either doesn't know what he's talking about or he's lying.

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/defa.../20_04_08_lx_series_ktc.pdf?sfvrsn=35d4f886_6

Breakout force is listed at 2245 lbs. at the pin and 1634 lbs. at 19.7 inches forward.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kubota's brochure on their web site at the link below lists the lift capacity at the pivot pin at 1067 lbs., and 769 lbs. at 19.7 inches forward of the pin. If the dealer claimed it was 1,500 lbs., then he either doesn't know what he's talking about or he's lying.

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/defa.../20_04_08_lx_series_ktc.pdf?sfvrsn=35d4f886_6

Breakout force is listed at 2245 lbs. at the pin and 1634 lbs. at 19.7 inches forward.
Yeah, he doesn't seem shady and they're a very popular dealer, so my guess is he was talking what it probably 'can' lift with the proper ballast to say a foot off the ground; also thanks i just updated that - not sure why I typed 1,500, he had written 1250 on the quote. Which is still way more than the specs show however.

Now that having been said.... While I had the 800lb John Deere MX5 sticking off the back, I moved a chicken coup with the forks, soooo. No idea on how much it weighs, but it isn't under 800lb - and I had a **** of a time getting the 800lb MX5 off and back on the trailer I hauled it with (Snowmobile trailer so it's fairly low to the ground) - I used every single suitcase weight, wheel weight, and a pile of bricks I could fit off the 3-point.

Low and slow - RPM high, low gear, barely moved forward and kept it as low as i could without hitting the ground - so the La535 CAN lift a decent amount with proper ballast. When I get it back, I think I'm going to replicate the Tractor Time with Tim with the bucket curled / loaded with salt bags or something stupid heavy, and again with the forks. I'll just see how much it CAN lift, and park my X580 behind it attached to the drawbar so it has a solid 700lb additional ballast =)

Again mostly, I just am worried I bought a size too small. But that would also mean going into the L series as even the LX3301 uses the same loader; the quote I got for an L2501 was actually more than the LX2601 by a fair bit, though the La525 has a higher rated capacity per their spec sheets.

OR

Tire ballast just isn't enough - I'd get another ~250-300lb of Rimguard weight if I was sold the 15-19.5, plus the additional weight of the tires themselves - so rather than buying rear ballast I might ask how much it'd be to just get the bigger tires.

What do you guys and gals use for multi-purpose ballast? My issue with most ballast boxes i've seen is that they're bulky, hard to store, and mostly single feature - sometimes with a 2" receiver which I admit is something I want to get or fabricate to move my trailer and wood splitter.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,892 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the Orange club!
BTW That’s a CUT for sure. A fair good bit bigger than a SCUT everywhere it counts.

Even though my rear tires are fully loaded (probably beyond the max level they should be), I still feel a lot more comfortable with extra weight on the 3PH when doing any appreciable loader work. I damaged my brush hog from bouncing around too much. A box blade is a good stout relatively compact and useful ballast device. You can hang suitcases weights on it for a little more effect if you want to.
I made my own version of a heavy hitch with a 2” receiver on it that I use A LOT.
Very jealous of that grapple!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats! Welcome to the Orange club!
BTW That’s a CUT for sure. A fair good bit bigger than a SCUT everywhere it counts.

Even though my rear tires are fully loaded (probably beyond the max level they should be), I still feel a lot more comfortable with extra weight on the 3PH when doing any appreciable loader work. I damaged my brush hog from bouncing around too much. A box blade is a good stout relatively compact and useful ballast device. You can hang suitcases weights on it for a little more effect if you want to.
I made my own version of a heavy hitch with a 2” receiver on it that I use A LOT.
Very jealous of that grapple!
I feel like it's too small to be a true CUT, but I'm not sure where the forums see the line. The LX was introduced - so i've been told by the dealer - as the 'mini' L series, just as the BX is supposed to be the small 'B' series. So in my mind I see the LX as a B which I figured was a SCUT still, haha. It seems to align closely with the John Deere 2-series which is also that not quite a CUT, but larger than the solid SCUT of the 1-series.

I have an old 2" hitch extension that I've given serious consideration to asking my boss to help me weld onto perhaps a bolt that I can put through a drawbar, or possibly get some metal framing and attach point for the top link / side links.

How'd you make yours? I'm guessing if I look around, there are probably a few on here like that?

·
Professional Homeowner
7,892 Posts
Something like this. Put simplest, it’s a piece of receiver stock welded to a cat 1 drawbar, with a vertical support to the top link. I added a couple chunks of heavy C-channel to hang suitcase weights on. They made more impact when I used this setup on my Massey SCUT that weighed 1/4 of what this Kubota does.

Pictured in the receiver is this weird trencher thing I made with limited success...

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something like this. Put simplest, it’s a piece of receiver stock welded to a cat 1 drawbar, with a vertical support to the top link. I added a couple chunks of heavy C-channel to hang suitcase weights on. They made more impact when I used this setup on my Massey SCUT that weighed 1/4 of what this Kubota does.

Pictured in the receiver is this weird trencher thing I made with limited success...
Is that a downrigger? 😁

Looks pretty good for a diy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Always when picking up any load 50% or more of your loader capacity, for safety reasons use temporary rear ballast. The ballast can be as simple as adding a box blade or rotary cutter on the tractor. But it will significantly help with the safety factor.

·
10,839 Posts
Any further comments/review of the Titan R14T’s?
I see that Kubota signed an exclusivity contract for those with Titan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been very happy with the tires.

I'll see how they do in the winter, but they did fine in wet clay this late summer. I've also only had some areas damaged by them, and that was very wet ground that even my JD X580 ruts and damages. So a 1,000lb heavier tractor is going to be no better haha.

I'd still have liked the bigger ones, but my dealer apparently doesn't really order them. Had I realized that I'd have had them include the larger ones in the purchase.

They did an empty and refill on the tires, and gave me a 3pt hitch for free to help, which I've used to attach a hitch carrier (meant for a car but it worked) with weight on it. They found that the tires weren't loaded to spec as well.

Since then I've only used the hitch twice for ballast and am planning on making a concrete brick with a 2" receiver to just back up to and hook up with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts