My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Good for some, mine takes 4 41/2 hrs....
But below the motor same old rules..............

And DONT pressure wash !....lol

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
No, I haven't used one. My thoughts are that most people get a tractor to do other things than simply mow the grass. For $4,000 that's a bit steep to only get 2 hours of use. I can easily imagine that with mulching blades, it would be even less time. Think about adding a plow for cold weather snow removal and that time would drop even more.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You can mow at night and the neighbors won't know!

From Cub's website:
----------
Engineered to perform to the same standards as gas, you get superior cut quality and strength, without power fade - up to 1.5 hours, or up to 2 acres, with fast charge capabilities

Reduced maintenance - No need for oil changes, filters to change, sparkplugs to change, no more buying gas

Backed by the industry’s strongest warranty, 3-year limited residential/4-year limited battery/5-year unlimited hours chassis and front axle warranty
----------

Well I make my tractor engines last longer than 4 years, so I guess a battery probably isn't for me. How much for a replacement battery?

The cool factor is there though. I'd like to cut after dusk. I wouldn't need to cut all the grass at once either, so 1.5hrs runtime is ok.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interesting, although for the money I might be inclined to opt for the Ryobi electric zero turn. Electric would be nice, but I use my XT2 for a couple hours straight mowing my lawn so that might be pushing it past the first season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,720 Posts
Well will see How Long the Current electric riders stay On the Market GE Made electric Garden & Lawn tractors from 1968 till 1974 when they sold ELEC-TRAK to Wheel Horse who continued to make them Until 1978. I just wonder How Long MTD will stick with a Battery Power Lawn Tractor. Because I have a feeling when the Batteries Need to be replaced I bet a lot of People Dump them for a Gas Powered Machine as I bet the Price of the Batteries will be almost the cost of a New Machine:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sergeant, I'm surprised that you didn't give Cub Cadet's answer! From the CC website:

How much does a replacement battery cost?

The Cub Cadet Lithium-ion electric riding lawn mowers come with the industry’s strongest warranty with a 3-year limited warranty that protects your mower and a 4-year battery warranty against manufacturing defects. Operating under normal conditions and care, our rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries will last the lifetime of the mower. However, if you ever need to replace your battery, please see your local authorized Independent Dealer or retailer for the most up to date pricing.

My italics & bold.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm very skeptical of the battery lasting the mower's lifetime. Unless it's a pretty-short lifetime. The battery may still be functioning after 8 years, say, but I'll bet you're getting much less run-time. I wouldn't plan to be able to use the full run-time that they claim, since it will get worse over time.

And based on how big the battery is (56V, 60Ah), I'd imagine it'll be quite expensive. Over $1k, if I were to guess (I'd think substantially over). For comparison, this is an Ego Power 56V 5Ah battery (8% of the Cub battery's capacity), $220 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-56-Volt-Battery-Equipment/dp/B01FAW5MUA?th=1

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Now that's funny right there, an electric yard tractor.
I guess they have to please a city dweller tree hugger that has a little yard. LOL

·
Super Moderator
15,720 Posts
I guess they have to please a city dweller tree hugger that has a little yard. LOL
:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The Cub Cadet Lithium-ion electric riding lawn mowers come with the industry’s strongest warranty with a 3-year limited warranty that protects your mower and a 4-year battery warranty against manufacturing defects. Operating under normal conditions and care, our rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries will last the lifetime of the mower. However, if you ever need to replace your battery, please see your local authorized Independent Dealer or retailer for the most up to date pricing.[/I]
What's a "lifetime of the mower" for this machine?.... 4 years?.....

LMAO!

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts

The Sears electric yard tractor. was no laughing matter. They was one tough running long lasting garden tractor. I used one years ago as a forklift in a textile factory. They could easy drag a 3000lb machine across the floor.

·
Super Moderator
15,720 Posts
The Sears electric yard tractor. was no laughing matter. They was one tough running long lasting garden tractor. I used one years ago as a forklift in a textile factory. They could easy drag a 3000lb machine across the floor.
I had a Neighbor down the Street That had a GE Elec-Trak when I was Kid They Traded Up to a Wheel Horse Elec-Trak In 77. I think His son still has it But the Batteries Have Been replaced at Least 4 Times That I Know of. But around 1983 They went and Bought a Wheel Horse Gas Powered as the Elec-Trak Just wasn't reliable In the winter . I would Hope these New One do Turn Out to Be reliable But I have My doubts That they will still be running In 25 Years . But I would Hope By then They Have some reliable Models Out That don't need Battery replacement very often and can work at full power for say 8hrs & Not Just 2 Hrs :thThumbsU

·
Registered
860 Posts
Average of the gas engines themselves is 8-10, you mean? Geez, I guess I'd hope it's more than that.

My little Craftsman (opposed Briggs twin, splash lube) is 25, I haven't done any real engine work to it. Just had to replace the coil, as the first engine repair I can think of. And I don't remember the previous owners mentioning engine repairs when I bought it 10 years ago.

Replacing the machine at 10 years would be younger than I'd be looking to do, anyways.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying the machine is no-good. It may infact be a real beast!.... where I was coming from is the "legal language" aspect of it.
Whenever I see a warranty statement that says "guaranteed for the life of the product", it makes me laugh my guts out. What does that mean?.... it means nothing until you define the term "Lifetime". It could mean 4 years. It could mean 12months. It could mean anything!

From working on contracts in my 20+yr career, contract language like that is just laughable. But obviously written this way intentionally, to lure unsuspecting customers. "...Wow!.. lifetime!... that could be like 20 years!.... awesome!!!...."

Now in Canada, there is government legislation which states that an undefined term of "life" or "lifetime" as relating to product warranties [ie: "guaranteed for life"], automatically means 10years.

cheers!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
"I guess they have to please a city dweller tree hugger that has a little yard. LOL "

HaHa..I showed this to my Father In Law who is looking at them, he owns 2600 acres and wanted something for my Mother In Law to mow the front yard....( BTW- hes not real fond of trees, hes a farmer!

·
Registered
475 Posts
AOC and Warren have changed the meaning of a warranty for electric powered lawn mowers. Once the USA saves 25 trillion dollars by selling all of our cows to Russia everyone get's a fee one. They'll last a couple of years and then they'll tax us another 25 trillion to pay for battery disposal.

https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/riding-lawn-mowers/electric-riding-mowers

CUB is in the money making business and they don't care how long the batteries last knowing full well that all the tree hugging snowflakes won't even blink when it comes time to buy another battery regardless of cost. I can just picture suburban garages bursting into flames each night soon after the mowers are put away. The charge lasts 90 minutes, or about 1/2 of my front lawn. What a joke.

·
That Guy
1,119 Posts
I'm excited about this, and am curious to see if one major LT manufacturer putting out an electric will result in others. In which case it could be fun to see the development in the market.

I don't want an electric lawn tractor, nor do I want a Tesla, but some people do. Be it for prestige, be it for love of tech, or be it to be green- there will be a market for these. The question remains, will that market be large enough to secure the electric LT's future- or is that time yet to arrive?

I'd compare my curiosity in their development to that of the non-meat burger industry. I'm not a vegan, but that Impossible Whopper was pretty good.

:ROF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts