My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Larry/car
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new old stock battery that I decided to put into service. This battery has been in dry storage for thirty years, that is correct, thirty years. Anyway I added acid on Saturday and then attached my battery tender to top off the charge. The battery tender never was able to top charge the battery and go into float maintenance. I decided to charge the battery with my regular battery charger. When I placed the charge cables on the battery, sparks flew. The cable placement was correct for the terminal, positive to positive, negative to negative (verified for the battery tender and the regular charger). I got my volt meter and discovered that the polarity was reversed. I never had this happen before. This evidently occurred when the acid started to activate the plates. Research indicates that a lead acid battery can be reversed charged and it is possible to correct the situation by discharging the battery and then recharging the battery correctly. I currently have a headlight on the battery. Has anyone seen this problem and were you able to reverse polarity. Glad I didn't place this battery into the car, I now would have a major electrical repair.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Go buy a new battery before you blow something up, or hurt yourself via acid in eyes or something like that

d

·
Registered
905 Posts
yes, the polarity can be reversed, had a customer with a old positive ground car come in because the gauges were acting crazy, his battery had gone dead and he charged it negative ground, you will have to completely discharge the battery, COMPLETELY. It will shorten the life of the battery a little each time it is completely discharged.

BTW, when you hook up a battery charger the charger should be OFF, hook it up THEN turn on the charger. No sparks. :Stop:

·
Larry/car
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go buy a new battery before you blow something up, or hurt yourself via acid in eyes or something like that

d
I agree 110%, I'm being very careful. As for the battery charger, "it was off", must be the coils or something that when the reverse current hit sparks flew. I have been following the negative post last rule.

·
Larry/car
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Purchased for a Chev Corvair around 1979, I have three more. The battery (Delco Y55) is vent cap specific for the Corvair battery venting system. I was into Corvairs back then, I discovered Corvettes. Yes, I still have a Corvair, don't drive it much. The old battery went into my John Deere 210 tractor.

·
Larry/car
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was able to reverse polarity but now the battery will not hold rated voltage. Shortly after I recharged the battery, noticed only 11.8 volts. This morning I now have only 10 volts indicating a cell is bad. There was something wrong with this battery and I saved it all these years. It will make a good core when I purchase another battery. There is a first time for everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts