My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I think that is the access hole to get to the drain valve. Does yours have the valve? Or is it just a plug? May have been modified by a previous owner.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well I was hoping to get a few mows out of the belt but she let go and was she past her time.
Anyway I was looking online and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the 46 inch deck and im trying to figure out what size and part number it is. I believe its a 90"/½" v belt. And if that's the case should i go aftermarket or stick with oem.

I'll show pictures of the oil drain and the machine itself here in a bit. Thanks again.
I have had good luck with aftermarket belts. The one on my 322 is over four yrs old and still in good shape. Just search with your part # and you will find them. Mine was $20 vrs $60 at JD.

·
4,862 Posts
This is where it would be
this is a 1990 model,,,,,that little brass thing inside the hole.....I can't imagine how you would get anything on that without the hole....if you want I can use a hole saw to get the diameter and measure over...but yours would have the other Onan...not sure if it would align exactly

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
My 318 had a oil drain under the machine, you may want to take the deck off and take a look to see if that is set up the same. First time I pulled the engine I put a small pipe on the oil pan for the drain and then set it up so I could access it from underneath, just put a hose from that valve to an oil pan and turned the drain open and did something else till it was done, and it took a long time to drain through that valve.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is where the oil drain "should" be.
So I'm just guessing that this being a first model year they forgot it. :LOL:
I definitely thought all 318s had the hole in the frame until seeing your pic... sorry man, that stinks! I think hole saws or a good step bit might be the way to go.

As for your belt, I've heard others say that the Deere belts are worth the extra money due to durability. I've only ever used Deere belts so I can't really offer an opinion on other options. Your 318 looks to be in pretty good shape though!

·
4,862 Posts
I was doing some stuff on mine for a while today and noticed that if you take the grill off...it looks like you could get a wrench in there...not easily...but you could

·
Registered
586 Posts
After pushing a riding mower for 10 years on 2 acres on a big hill I wish I would have done this a long time ago.
I can't imagine pushing a riding mower up a hill across 2 acres for 10 years. You must strong legs!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I can't imagine pushing a riding mower up a hill across 2 acres for 10 years. You must strong legs!
My wife always goes on about my fat calves 😑.

I was doing some stuff on mine for a while today and noticed that if you take the grill off...it looks like you could get a wrench in there...not easily...but you could
Yeah if you look down the grill you can see the square oil plug. Yeah you can fish a wrench down the but the there's no drainage hole anywhere near there to get it out. I might do a write up of drilling out the frame and making some sort of pipe drain plug type thing. Or my buddy suggested a little 12 pump thing that I can suck it out, be a lot less cursing that way probably.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have had good luck with aftermarket belts. The one on my 322 is over four yrs old and still in good shape. Just search with your part # and you will find them. Mine was $20 vrs $60 at JD.
As for the belt my local JD dealer had them for 24 bucks. Wasn't going to complain at that price!

·
Parts collector
3,403 Posts
Looks good! About the same condition as mine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Every time I see this thread title, I think mrbeef has some competition, but alas, not to be.
Search this forum for Nos 318.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts