My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just gifted a 165 by my neighbour after he heard that I blew up the engine in my old MTD.

So far, tube for one front tire, new air filter, new fuel filter and some new line, new PTO clutch; I mowed 12 feet and it quit. I also had to weld the front axle up a bit. I plan on rebuilding the axle in the future with some bracing. All other metal parts are A-one.

Now I have one JD green tractor, and one Farmall red one that is almost the same HP; 22.5 when new in 52, maybe 15 or 16 now with the blow by.

James

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
:MTF_wel::wwp:

Had to have the front axle welded too ( 175 ), and also a few years back on a 160.
seems to be a weak link.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sat for about 1 1/2 years. When I first got it to run it leaked gas out of the line just above the filter so replaced the filter and line together. It was the PTO clutch that died when I got the mower running. Nice thing is that I have a good lawn tractor for about $200. I would have had to pay that for a good push mower.
I plan on making a "Y" brace for the front end when I get the ambition, er I mean time to build it.
I'll have to see about picks later.
James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had it running and tuned with in 24 hours. The local JD dealer had the PTO clutch in stock. I still need to buy a new set of blades for the mower. The old set are at the point where they can't be sharped too much more.

James

·
Super Moderator
17,133 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts