My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I'd start a new thread about the recent 430 I just bought. Got a pretty good deal on it, 1800 hours, runs really good just needs some tlc. I started tearing it down and got it all power washed and now its time to address some of its issues. First is fixing the battery tray and steering. The steering arm is totally trash, its so wallowed out its not fixable i dont think. Anyone have a steering arm for a 318-430? Here are some pictures so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first photos are stripped down and dirty, the last ones are after the power wash

Attachments

·
Frame Swapped '88 322
1,255 Posts
Congratulations on your new 430! How does the motor run for 1800 hrs? Are you planning to paint it?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah gonna get everything sanded down hopefully this week to get ready for paint. It runs great, it was taken very good care of and has almost no blow by. Is there any non- john deere brand paint that looks the same? That deere stuff is $$$

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
I am not suprised a bit that that Yanmar has held up 1800 hours so far. I would expect 2500-3000 hours if you care for it well.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yeah gonna get everything sanded down hopefully this week to get ready for paint. It runs great, it was taken very good care of and has almost no blow by. Is there any non- john deere brand paint that looks the same? That deere stuff is $$$
Most auto parts store sell some in a spray can and I believe the big box stores will sell it in regular cans. It's a pretty good match if you ask me. :fing32:

Nice tractor, you got a real beast of a GT.:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate it. Eager to work on it this weekend and get it looking good. Ill do some spray tests with the auto parts store paint and see how close I can get it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made a new battery tray for it today and got it painted and put in. The old was was rusted out and only supported with 2 bolts. Also got the tops of the frame rails painted where the gas tank sits. Hopefully Ill get to the steering this weekend and get that all squared away.

·
MTF Poster
101 Posts
Sounds like you're making good progress :trink39: Can't wait to see some pics of her when you're finished.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Awesome Tractor! Welcome to Club 430!

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Nice 430. Those things are beasts. I've only seen one in person, and it's insane just how big t.hey really are

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Nice 430. Those things are beasts. I've only seen one in person, and it's insane just how big t.hey really are
I always loved the look of the 430. There's something about it's nose...

·
Three of my friends
9,011 Posts
My suggestion is use JD paint,it's the BEST and will match if you need to touch up.More costly but to me it;s worth the cost and it has the rattle cans have a spray pattern that is more like a spray gun pattern.Tall and narrow not round like spray cans.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice machine! That model is next on my list to acquire.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also heard that JD paint is the way to go. Talked to a guy who has a "couple" of JD's in his collection. He tried painting one with an aftermarket paint; and told me, that although the tractor sat inside most of the time, after time the paint started fading. With the JD paint, he never gets that. He told me that the JD paint was worth the few extra bucks.

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gotcha. Im going to spray the tub first and ill use jd paint. Then Im gonna buff and wax the hood and side panels and see how they come out. I did a little section of the hood and it actually looks really good. If it looks too out of place with the parts side by side Ill take the rest down and paint them as well. Thanks, the mustang has a 347 stroker I just finished building and is really a screamer. I ordered a new headlight cover and a steering arm bushing. The old steering arm has been wallowed out so bad im gonna fill it with weld and re drill the hole on center as soon as I get the bushing in to make sure the press fit is right.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts