My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend gave me a 1953 Jacobsen Manor 21" a few weeks ago that I've begun working on. His family had purchased it in the 60's, but it has sat unused for probably the last 30 years because the points always had to be serviced.

It's in a little worse shape than some of the others I've seen on the site, had to do quite a bit of brazing on the gas tank to plug all the leaks. I started dismantling it before I discovered this site. Just finished rebuilding the carb, muffler, and gas tank. Cleaning and painting as I go.

The engine looks to have been rebuilt at some time in the distant past. Piston has 010 stamped on the top. A few pics so far:

Heath

Attachments

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
:eck21::eck21::swow::eek::eek::eek:

WOW you're doing some nice work!!!! I can't wait to see the finished product! I hope to do this to my Jacobsen some day....:praying:

Dan B. :smilie_fl

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments, but I did not completely dismantle the engine. I left the piston and crankcase assembled, as the cylinder has a bit of a scratch near the exhaust port and the case looks to have been repaired when the engine was rebuilt decades ago. But everything moves smoothly and the tolerances are still pretty tight...

And I really did not want to get into all those needle bearings falling out!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
And I really did not want to get into all those needle bearings falling out!
Cool mower. Did they use needle bearings in 1953 or has it been retrofitted?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
looking good,
it feels great to bring stuff back from the dead doesnt it?
take your time &it'll come out great

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with your comment of the points always needing adjusting.

I replaced my points with the oregon solid state ignition module. Now it appears that my coil is bad. I have tried baking it but still no spark. I got a coil from Austen - "oldgardentractornut", from a older 321 engine but it is a different style than what mine is. Mine looks like the one in your picture.

I also made a castor eliminator kit for the front wheels on mine. I hated the way that castors do not like to change direction.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with my mower. I may part it out. I may steal the differential from it for part of a mower that I have been thinking of making (the "reel" frankenmower).

Good luck with yours.

Eric

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool mower. Did they use needle bearings in 1953 or has it been retrofitted?
As far as I know it has the needle bearings - but I did not remove the end cap to let them fall out and find out for sure.

I replaced my points with the oregon solid state ignition module. Now it appears that my coil is bad. I have tried baking it but still no spark. I got a coil from Austen - "oldgardentractornut", from a older 321 engine but it is a different style than what mine is. Mine looks like the one in your picture.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with my mower. I may part it out.
Eric
I purchased the Nova II electronic ignition and a new coil to use when I put it all back together - thanks to Austen's prior documentation. (the one in the picture is the new one)

If you decide to part it out - I'd likely be interested in the engine, if this one turns out to be a paperweight.

·
Registered
364 Posts
On your replacement coil... Do you recall a brand, part #, price?

Looks good so far. Keep us posted and pictured.

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
If you're going to put a new decal on it, contact the member olcowhand, http://www.mytractorforum.com/member.php?u=529.

I had Dan recreate the one for mine going off of a picture and dimensions as best that we could both do. He did a great job on it. He still has the template to do others, so he could make one for you and have it say Manor 21" instead of Lawn Queen on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last night, I got the drive shaft off the frame and started looking at it. The cam with ramps pictured below is what rotates when you move the reel engagement lever. As you can see in picture #3 and #4 (installed on the shaft), mine is pretty deformed.

If any of you guys have a spare that is in better shape, that would be most helpful. I'm afraid if I try to straighten it, it will simply break in half.

Also, does anyone have a lead on where you could get new tires to go on this thing?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
I don't want to sound like a downer, but I kinda don't think you're gonna be able to find new tires for it. I did see some used ones on Ebay once though.

You may even want to just find a parts machine for the tires and clutch parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd be ok with tires that were not "original', but did not know if anyone had seen anything currently made that was similar, maybe with a chevron pattern.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My tires on my good mower are just barely better than yours. My parts mower the tires are bare. Those tires (for those that dont know) are basically 1/4" thick rubber bands on a big steel hub. Mine work but slip mainly because my grass is always so wet and hilly.

I have not pulled the engine or clutch off of my parts mower. It sat outside for many years previous to me getting it. The clutch is frozen solid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah - It's hard to call them tires since they are so thin. The rubber on mine is very hard and slips around the hub some when I push it around.

On the clutch - I soaked the outside threads with Kroil for a few days before the hex lock screw would come out and I could unscrew the reel drive plates.

·
Registered
364 Posts
On your coil. How did you seperate the part that you replaced. My coil looks slightly different in the mounting assembly that goes around the crank. The upper coil part looked like it might be soldered on?

If you want any of these parts and will pay for their shipping to you, they are all yours. I pulled some parts from my parts mower. I pulled my wheels/tires which are stuck together, as they should be. The rubber is thin, like yours. The hubs are rusting and thin in a few spots. But at least the rim would not spin inside the tire.

Also in the picture is the reel engagement cam ramp.

The cam ramp would easily fit into a small flat rate box. The tires are pretty big.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On your coil. How did you seperate the part that you replaced. My coil looks slightly different in the mounting assembly that goes around the crank. The upper coil part looked like it might be soldered on?
The coil was held on by a small metal tab, and friction fit on the stator? I bent the tab back and pulled the coil off. The hole in the new coil was a little small, so I had to file the stator a bit to slide the coil on.

If you want any of these parts and will pay for their shipping to you, they are all yours. I pulled some parts from my parts mower.

Also in the picture is the reel engagement cam ramp.

The cam ramp would easily fit into a small flat rate box. The tires are pretty big.
I have an idea for my tires, so no need there, but the engagement cam would be most appreciated. I'll pm my address to you. Cheers !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is not necessarily stock, but the idea I had for tires is this. Carlisle makes a 9-3.5-4 turf tire which you can view here:

http://www.amazon.com/CARLISLE-Turf...TF8&coliid=I28SC053RAXQ22&colid=1L6Y3TEHASKDM

As you can see from the numbers, it is essentially the correct overall diameter, and width, but is made for a 4" wheel, rather than the 8" of the Manor mower. I'm considering cutting the sidewalls, so that it will fit the current wheels - giving me a 1/2" sidewall.

This should be quite close to the original tire, and perhaps give a bit more ground clearance and grip over the original.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts