My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm kind of hoping this thread serves as my list, complete with pictures I've been taking. I did set the oil jug on top of the engine, though... Don't want to forget that!

One other thing I had to do tonight - swap the starboard side valve cover with the one from the original engine. The shift linkage seemed to interfere with the PCV valve in the rear. Maybe I just didn't have the manifold on quite right then, but it frll right into place after I swapped it out. Now, I'll need to swap the port side so the paint colors match. Now, the one off the original engine is grey, the one on the new engine matches the engine block and heads, kind of a Ford blue.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Getting close. Engine aligned, u-joints and gimble greased. Impeller sounds good. Outdrive installed. Plug wires hooked up. Full of oil. Cooling system plumbed.

Getting ready to replace ignition switch, hook up battery, put water to it, gut check, turn key (with coil wire off, obviously).

Oh, man!

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Brand new battery, on a jump box. Rolls over kind of slow. I don't think it's moving fast enough to catch. Starter "looks newer" than some of the other components. Good solid connections. Just sounds like it cranks kind of "tight."
Ideas?

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Getting closer. She fires for a brief instant, then promptly dies. I think it's a timing issue... Popping out the carb. After rotating the wires and distributer, there's progress. It was timed at the shop supposedly, but it was a different cap with wires placed differently. Firing order is definitely correct. I need a timing light. I might even somehow be 180 degrees off, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
could have the wrong firing order wired too.. 302 HO and 351W used a different than 289/302 up to a certain year. I'm not sure which the boats used most but it's the camshaft that makes it

·
Father Deerest
2,799 Posts
The 302HO had a 4barrel on it the 2 barrel was the standard 302. It's interesting that you have the HO timing cast on the intake manifold with a 2v. What is the casting numbers on the heads read. I'm eliminating the possibility you have a 351W not the 302.
302 timing: 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8. 10btdc
302HO/351 timing: 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8. 10btdc

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
The 302HO had a 4barrel on it the 2 barrel was the standard 302. It's interesting that you have the HO timing cast on the intake manifold with a 2v. What is the casting numbers on the heads read. I'm eliminating the possibility you have a 351W not the 302.
302 timing: 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8. 10btdc
302HO/351 timing: 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8. 10btdc
Most marine cams for the small block ford were ground for the 351W/5.0HO firing order. 2, or 4bbl. The first 5.0HO mustang in 1982 had a 2bbl carb, and a cam that Ford stole from their marine division. Not to say someone didn't swap in a different cam...

·
Father Deerest
2,799 Posts
Most marine cams for the small block ford were ground for the 351W/5.0HO firing order. 2, or 4bbl. The first 5.0HO mustang in 1982 had a 2bbl carb, and a cam that Ford stole from their marine division. Not to say someone didn't swap in a different cam...
I'm going off what the OMC Cobra manual is saying that the 2v wasn't the HO so the timing shouldn't be what it is cast on the intake unless it's a 351. It may be a blanket manual it's not a specific Four Winns and as you stated these engines were installed on many different brands and each might have their own specs.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, like I say, the firing order is clear as day on the starboard side manifold.
I actually melted the positive post (threaded one) off my brand new battery in the process of attempting to start it :crybaby:
I'll have to re-do the connection now. I also have molten metal embedded into the carpet by the battery. Oops.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My friend came over last night and we managed to get her going! Just before he got here, I found the timing was 180 degrees off. Oops. Me and my assumptions...
I don't think the timing is quite perfect, but it's pretty darn close. We may tweak it just a little more once on the water, I dunno.
Still have to address little things like thermostat hoising seal, bulge pump, trailer brakes, etc then take it for a sea trial. No way I'm going out alone, though... My buddy is going out in his boat with me, along with a tow rope just in case. The light at the end of the tunnel is visible.

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Wow steddy, sounds great! I love boats.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Bilge pump and blower not working. Have replacements, but new bilge pump doesn't work unless I put ground to it, and blower switch without new blower installed (old one still in place) glows faintly. Intermittent nav light operation, switch doesn't light up. Bad ground somewhere? Where? If not, I might have some rewiring to do.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Ready to water test! It fired right up after almost a week of sitting. I think it's only hitting on 7 cylinders, but I'm not sure. My buddy will be there with his boat if I need a tow.

Found nav lights missing fuse. Blower and bilge pump missing ground I forgot to connect, bilge pump was toast anyways. I just stuck one in there from an old boat I have laying around, that happened to be the identical model (yay!).

Total approximate cost thus far is still low. I think I'll name it B.O.A.T. b. That will stand for "Boat On A Tight Budget."

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Water test fail. No enough power to hardly get in gear. Seems to be several cylinders short. May be valve adjustment related. May need to bring it ta a friend's house that is really good with enfines. I can't seem to get them to hold adjustment at all.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Finally got back around to this stupid thing today. Man, I've tried EVERYTHING. Valves aren't adjustable. New plugs, rotor, cap. Finally chased it down to two things: timing was turned around 180, and firing order was wrong. I tried both over the last months of last summer and fall to no avail. Evidently I had both wrong... Had to get the right combination. I determined it's not the correct engine in that it isn't the HO. I don't know how big of a difference it will make long term. Short term is that it sure does run pretty!

Now I have to get it registered to take it for another sea trial. I have a good feeling about it this time! It was only running on 4 cylinders. Apparently that is possible.

·
Father Deerest
2,799 Posts
Are the rockers a stamped or cast rail type?
The ESAM (electronic shift assist module) stumbles the cylinders to allow smoother shifting into gear by temporarily grounding the distributor side of the coil, once it's in gear it resumes normal RPM's but it might be still activating while you are increasing the throttle. Take a friend to watch and make sure it's releasing when you get it in gear and underway. Good luck with the boating season, hope it's trouble free with lots of great memories.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I thought maybe I should post an update on this.

I had it running good and all put back together shortly after my last post. I took it out on a small local lake, a mile or so across. 43 degrees and windy that day. Got around the lake a couple times, running like a swiss watch, and she fell flat on her face dead right smack dab in the middle of the lake with nary a warning. 15-20 mph wind blowing, of course, away from the launch :( . Called my AWESOME neighbor, and he came right out and towed me in. Too cold for anyone else on the lake that day.

I got around to checking it over about a week later, figuring it was a fuel issue. I unscrewed and removed the floor over the fuel tank, and found the gauge was spot on at a half tank. I found the fuel filter was OK. Checking the flow out of the stock fuel pump... Nada, zero, zilch. Ordered a new fuel pump. Week or two later, I finally got around to installing it, only to find out the connection locations were wrong. Had to disassemble, tap new holes, and reassemble. Went to put it back on, and heard a KLINK inside the engine as I seated the pump. A quick inspection with a snake camera, and I found the fuel pump eccentric that bolts to the end of the cam came loose and fell off (sigh).

I got around to chasing that down a week or two ago, and here we are. I got the new eccentric installed (I've never had to tear an engine down this far, so it was a bit more difficult for me than it would be for most of you, hence dragging my feet on this whole project). Add to that I had no idea how the crazy thing installs. If it fails again, I'll have to tear it all back apart (again) to get the loose bits of metal out of the timing chain area (again), and this time be smart and install an electric fuel pump like I probably should have all along.

Another evening or so and I should have it back together and purring again. I'll likely enjoy it for a few weekends, making sure everything is perfect, then just sell it. I think I have too many hobbies now between the boat, tractors, firearms, high maintenance home (or at least I make it out to be), older vehicles, coaching my dauter's soccer team, new church responsibilities (I got nominated to the board of trustees in the last year, must be because I have the lawn toys), working some overtime, and now R/C planes. I'm just flat out of time. I don't have much cash i to it, but the hours into getting it this far must number in the hundreds, mostly because of the timing issue.

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
That's a bummer you've still had all these issues. Those are normally solid engines. As for the eccentric there were two different styles.

Too bad you were not closer. I would love to find a ford powered boat to play with. I've built lots of them, and like messing with them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts