My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Craigslist Bandit
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, and am hoping to learn a lot in a very short time. I live in Lewiston, Idaho, and recently moved to a house on about 1.4 acres, half being pasture (with 2 horses, 2 goats, barn, stall, etc.). The rest of the lot is house and grass. I currently mow with a Scag ZTR, but it is severely limited in its versatility. I have found a John Deere 400 for $1200, and am wondering if this is a good price. It does not have rear PTO, but it does have the 60" deck. The tin is in great shape, but the front corners of the fiberglass hood are dinged. The seller says that it has 10 hours on a rebuilt engine, and it runs okay. I say okay because it has a slight surge. It has been in storage for 2 years, so it may just be bad gas. The lights are beat up, but overall it is in good shape. I plan on using it as my only lawn mower, and to pull a harrow in the pasture. I would eventually like to build a loader for it, plus whatever else I can dream up. Is this a machine that can be a finish mower, plus fill the gap between lawn mower and compact tractor? All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Kyle

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Kyle, good to have you with us and hope you enjoy the forums :). Far as your questions go, I'll defer to the more knowledgeable guys on this machine, but as far as your question on whether the 400 would fill the gap as a finish mower and being in between a lawn mower and compact tractor, that is exactley what I would consider this machine to be :fing32:.

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
Super Moderator
36,647 Posts
The 400 is quite a machine! I had the chance to use one for a short period of time and was very impressed with it. It does have some quirks that you should know about though. The mounting system for attachments (front) is unique for John Deere and no other JD front attachments from any other tractor are designed for use with the 400. That being said, you can find 400 attachments on eBay and Craigslist. You are certainly out there in "Gods Country" so being able to find attachments locally may be a problem. You said you'd build a front loader so I doubt that you have to have JD attachments you can probably build what you need or modify existing items to do what you need. Anyways, welcome to the forum and get some pictures up of your machine and anything you build for it! Also $1200 for a good condition 400 is not bad at all!!!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Welcome ! the 400 even with the rebuild is a good price, see if you can run it for an hour or 2 and see if it gets the job done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts