My Tractor Forum banner

New house, looking for Garden Tractor suggestions

3K views 73 replies 13 participants last post by  heathiopian 
Your instinct to go with more capacity than you think you need is correct. A minimum of the X5XX JD line or equivalent. Have you looked at Kubota? Look for "beef" and reliability in your all purpose tractor.

In my opinion, transmissions are a priority when doing more than flat ground mowing. Followed by the frame strength (read that as steel thickness) and then engine choice. I'm biased toward the Kawasaki twins, I have two in full time service now and impressed by their power and smooth operation. One on a CC ZT the other, the JD X500. Kohler, once a bullet proof line of engines, has seemed to struggle on some of their later engine lines, but I don't know if that has been solved in newer models. Briggs too suffered with falling reputation. Not sure about recent models. Other MTF members might have different engine recommendations.

You will find other things to do on your property as you get into working in the woods and garden. Don't short change yourself with a weak machine.

Remember this little truism:
"Better to have more tractor than you need, than to need more tractor than you have"

Congrats on your new home, and good luck on your search. It is an exciting time.

Hi , welcome, and congrats on your new place.

You did not mention what your budget is. Without knowing that, I‘m going to suggest a JD X7 series. You can buy new or used at a wide spectrum of prices.

These are highly capable, heavy-duty, versatile garden tractors. They can do everything you mentioned and then some. They really are an ideal solution for a property your size.

They come with a 2WD or 4WD option, a gas or diesel engine option, and a 2-wheel-steer or 4-wheel steer option. They use shaft drives (not belts), and can be equipped with a 3-point-hitch and rear 540 pto.

As a result of all the optional configurations, JD has confusingly given them lots of different model designations. If you end up being interested in the X7 garden tractors, we can provide a “decoder ring” to help you understand how each model is configured.

Here is my 2010 X748, just to give you an idea of what it is we’re talking about:

View attachment 2560523

View attachment 2560524

Edit to add: In Stafford, snowfalls will be highly variable. Lighter snowfalls will be the norm, some heavier ones, and an occasional whopper. You’ll be smart to have decent snow-removal capability, even if it’s in reserve much of the time.
Urban, you have my deepest sympathy for the passing of your grill as shown in the pic of its funeral procession.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.