My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just moved into a new home in Stafford, Virginia. I have 3 total acres: about 1 acre of lawn and 2 acres heavily wooded. The terrain is lightly sloped with some areas of moderate slopes, but nothing extreme. My tractor will be used primary for mowing, but I will use it for clearing out the woods, hauling firewood, and clearing snow from the 300-ish foot driveway as needed. (I Don’t have a good gauge on how much snow clearing I’ll do in this area, but I don’t think very much.) There may some light gardening duties, as well.

Growing up, my dad was a Cub Cadet man, but I know a lot has changed since International sold them off. I have the XT2 GT’s and XT3’s high on the list of candidates. It looks like used CC’s are pretty limited locally. I found a JD X584 (‘20) for sale. I’m not sure if that is more tractor than I need, but I’d rather have slightly more than too little. What should you look for when considering a used tractor?

Anyway, I’d love to hear thoughts from experienced users on what models I should be targeting and what things are must haves, and avoid-at-all-costs. My goal is to buy something that will last a long time if properly maintained, but not go overboard. I have neighbors with legit farm tractors (buckets, etc.) that I can enlist for help if I ever need something truly heavy duty.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Your instinct to go with more capacity than you think you need is correct. A minimum of the X5XX JD line or equivalent. Have you looked at Kubota? Look for "beef" and reliability in your all purpose tractor.

In my opinion, transmissions are a priority when doing more than flat ground mowing. Followed by the frame strength (read that as steel thickness) and then engine choice. I'm biased toward the Kawasaki twins, I have two in full time service now and impressed by their power and smooth operation. One on a CC ZT the other, the JD X500. Kohler, once a bullet proof line of engines, has seemed to struggle on some of their later engine lines, but I don't know if that has been solved in newer models. Briggs too suffered with falling reputation. Not sure about recent models. Other MTF members might have different engine recommendations.

You will find other things to do on your property as you get into working in the woods and garden. Don't short change yourself with a weak machine.

Remember this little truism:
"Better to have more tractor than you need, than to need more tractor than you have"

Congrats on your new home, and good luck on your search. It is an exciting time.

Reactions: Zuul and ST1100A

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
We just moved into a new home in Stafford, Virginia. I have 3 total acres: about 1 acre of lawn and 2 acres heavily wooded. The terrain is lightly sloped with some areas of moderate slopes, but nothing extreme. My tractor will be used primary for mowing, but I will use it for clearing out the woods, hauling firewood, and clearing snow from the 300-ish foot driveway as needed. (I Don’t have a good gauge on how much snow clearing I’ll do in this area, but I don’t think very much.) There may some light gardening duties, as well.

Growing up, my dad was a Cub Cadet man, but I know a lot has changed since International sold them off. I have the XT2 GT’s and XT3’s high on the list of candidates. It looks like used CC’s are pretty limited locally. I found a JD X584 (‘20) for sale. I’m not sure if that is more tractor than I need, but I’d rather have slightly more than too little. What should you look for when considering a used tractor?

Anyway, I’d love to hear thoughts from experienced users on what models I should be targeting and what things are must haves, and avoid-at-all-costs. My goal is to buy something that will last a long time if properly maintained, but not go overboard. I have neighbors with legit farm tractors (buckets, etc.) that I can enlist for help if I ever need something truly heavy duty.

Thanks in advance!
I would make a specific list and prioritize. Even add “Future” things and how soon. You can also include ”How” you want to do things.
For example for wood:
  • The you can pull a small lawn trailer to haul wood;
  • you can use a QuickHitch with a grapple to pick up logs to cut or move to where you want to cut;
  • or you can use a loader to put wood into the bucket to carry to where you want to stack the wood. or carry logs to put in a taller stack
For thatching:
  • you can pull a thatcher
  • you can put the thatcher out front making it easier to see, raise and lower, maneuver.
Similar things apply to gardening attachments.

Other things have to do with “Who” will use the machine - size, strength, age (comfort), disabilities, etc. Do you need Power Steering, Do you need power lift? Etc. Here’s a link to this thought process for my son.

Reactions: Zuul

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,817 Posts
Hi , welcome, and congrats on your new place.

You did not mention what your budget is. Without knowing that, I‘m going to suggest a JD X7 series. You can buy new or used at a wide spectrum of prices.

These are highly capable, heavy-duty, versatile garden tractors. They can do everything you mentioned and then some. They really are an ideal solution for a property your size.

They come with a 2WD or 4WD option, a gas or diesel engine option, and a 2-wheel-steer or 4-wheel steer option. They use shaft drives (not belts), and can be equipped with a 3-point-hitch and rear 540 pto.

As a result of all the optional configurations, JD has confusingly given them lots of different model designations. If you end up being interested in the X7 garden tractors, we can provide a “decoder ring” to help you understand how each model is configured.

Here is my 2010 X748, just to give you an idea of what it is we’re talking about:

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Edit to add: In Stafford, snowfalls will be highly variable. Lighter snowfalls will be the norm, some heavier ones, and an occasional whopper. You’ll be smart to have decent snow-removal capability, even if it’s in reserve much of the time.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I wasn’t going to jump to an X7xx (until at least the next post.) 🤣
They are definitely a Very Capable machine and a joy to have as you can see to the left and below.

@Zuul By the way check out this post about XT3.

Reactions: UrbanTractor

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,817 Posts
They are definitely a Very Capable machine and a joy to have as you can see to the left and below.
I figure why beat around the bush? Let’s just save this guy a bunch of time. 😂

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The Cub Cadet XT2 are just lawn tractors even if they advertise them as more. The XT3 is barely a "garden" tractor with the BDU-10 transaxle and is more comparable to the John Deere X380 which has the K58 transaxle is just a lawn tractor. Kubota GR2020 and GR2120 are very solid garden tractors and comparable to the John Deere X700 series. The John Deere X580 and X590 are very nice garden tractors with the K72 transaxle. The X570 (also has K72) wouldn't be a bad choice either but I'm not a fan of the lawn tractor front end and sector gear steering. The X580 is more than worth the extra money over the X570. The X570 is still much better than anything Cub Cadet makes. Another good value "garden" tractor is the Husqvarna TS 354XD (K66 transaxle). It's a good step above the Cub Cadet XT3 and a far better value.
MTD likes to call a lawn tractor with bigger tires a garden tractor.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not knowing your budget... Something like this might be good. X740, 500 hours. Diesel. A step up from the x584 and likely in same ballpark price It's 2 hours away or so from you. Seller has good reviews.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Edit to add: In Stafford, snowfalls will be highly variable. Lighter snowfalls will be the norm, some heavier ones, and an occasional whopper. You’ll be smart to have decent snow-removal capability, even if it’s in reserve much of the time.
Thanks for that. Are you local to me?

An X7** is not out of the question. I'd almost certainly be looking used, though. The local dealer has a '13 X730 and a '15 X750 on the lot that I should go check out.

If you end up being interested in the X7 garden tractors, we can provide a “decider ring” to help you understand how each model is configured.
Big "****, yes" and "thank you" for any decoder you can point me to.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
An X7** is not out of the question. I'd almost certainly be looking used, though. The local dealer has a '13 X730 and a '15 X750 on the lot that I should go check out.
I fully understand “used.” All of my machines have been used and can’t say I’m disappointed. You do have to do your homework though and hours used matters. X750 if you have anything else diesel, if not the X730. You’ll only need to consider HAWD (4WD) if you consider a loader or perhaps garden work. It works very well for our snow life in Winter. I love my X738. I don’t have anything diesel so gas was right for me. Check my signature below for some ideas for attachments that are useful. I’ve put about 280 hrs on it since I got it with the original 95ish hrs from the previous owner. Used are getting much harder to find.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,817 Posts
Thanks for that. Are you local to me?

Big "****, yes" and "thank you" for any decoder you can point me to.
I am just a bit north of you in the DC metro area. Your snowfalls are very similar to mine - - cyclical. Most years we get a moderate amount, some years very little, other years we get clobbered.

As for the decoder ring (not “decider” ring as I mis-typed above!)… remember how I used the word “confusingly”?? 😂

The X7 series was originally introduced with a different model designation. It was split into two models: the X4 was 2WD, and the X5 was 4WD. Here are those models:

X465 -Gas, carbureted, air-cooled, 2WD
X475 - Gas, carbureted, liquid-cooled, 2WD
X485- Gas, fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, 2WD
X495- Diesel, liquid-cooled, 2WD

Additionally, most of the above X4 models were available with a 4-Wheel-Steer option.

X575 - Gas, carbureted, liquid-cooled, 4WD
X585- Gas, fuel-injected, l-c, 4WD
X595- Diesel, liquid-cooled, 4WD

The 4WD X5 models above were only available with 2-Wheel-Steer. Also, the 4WD system was a part-time, mechanical (shaft driven) 4WD, selectable via a lever on the right-rear fender.

In 2006, JD re-named the X4&X5 models the “X7 Ultimate Series”. So in addition to a few minor tweeks, the air-cooled X465 was dropped and all the remaining models got re-numbered, and the 4-wheel-steer optioned versions got their own model number:

X700 - Gas, carbureted, liquid-cooled, 2WD
X720- Gas, fuel-injected, l-c, 2WD
X724 - Gas, F-I, liquid-cooled, 2WD, 4WS
X728- Gas, fuel injected, l-c, 4WD
X740- Diesel, liquid-cooled, 2WD
X744 - Diesel, l-c, 2WD, 4WS
X748 - Diesel, l-c, 4WD

[Confusingly, at about this same time JD introduced a new X5 lawn & garden tractor series. These new 2WD X5 machines are not the shaft drive garden tractors like the previous 4WD machines. Completely different animal, and very confusingly numbered!]

In 2008, JD introduced two new models to the line-up, the X729 (gas) & X749 (diesel). These combined 4WD and 4WS for the first time. This was made possible by using a full-time, hydraulic front drive system. No lever on the right rear fender. In addition to being “always on”, the hydraulic system permitted full maneuverability in 4WD (whereas with the mechanical system, turning radius increased when 4WD was engaged.)

In 2009, JD converted the mechanical 4WD of the X728 and X748 to the full-time hydraulic system.

The X7 Ultimate line-up continued in production through 2012. In 2013 JD introduced the all-new X7 “Signature” series, which is the current offering and can be seen on JD’s website.

That should get you started on the out-of-production used models. 👍

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Hi , welcome, and congrats on your new place.

You did not mention what your budget is. Without knowing that, I‘m going to suggest a JD X7 series. You can buy new or used at a wide spectrum of prices.

These are highly capable, heavy-duty, versatile garden tractors. They can do everything you mentioned and then some. They really are an ideal solution for a property your size.

They come with a 2WD or 4WD option, a gas or diesel engine option, and a 2-wheel-steer or 4-wheel steer option. They use shaft drives (not belts), and can be equipped with a 3-point-hitch and rear 540 pto.

As a result of all the optional configurations, JD has confusingly given them lots of different model designations. If you end up being interested in the X7 garden tractors, we can provide a “decoder ring” to help you understand how each model is configured.

Here is my 2010 X748, just to give you an idea of what it is we’re talking about:

View attachment 2560523

View attachment 2560524

Urban, you have my deepest sympathy for the passing of your grill as shown in the pic of its funeral procession.

• Haha
Reactions: UrbanTractor

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,817 Posts
Urban, you have my deepest sympathy for the passing of your grill as shown in the pic of its funeral procession.
😂

Ha! That was actually a grill that I got for free from the curbside a few blocks away. Same model as my 25-year old Weber. I scavenged some replacement parts off of it for my oldie and then hauled it to our curbside. It disappeared again in an hour or two. 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I stopped by the local JD and Kubota/Cub Cadet dealers today.

What JD had a lot of in inventory was the X1, X2 and X3 … and you might be surprised to hear that the salesman suggested that an X350 would be perfect for me. They also had the used X750 out. It’s big. Like, I’m-not-sure-I-need-that-much-tractor big.

The Kubota guys had basically nothing. No GR’s in stock, and ordering would likely get me a spring delivery. No CC higher in the line than XT1’s (which, shockingly, he thinks is all I would ever need). Nothing much used, either.

It looks like a pretty bad time to be in the market for a GT.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,817 Posts
If you’re not used to the more capable machines, an X7 might seem large at first glance. But I think you would find it to be a good size/fit for your property.

New pickings are slim in many areas. But don’t let them sell you whatever they happen to have. Look at used offerings in your area and beyond. If you’re willing to expand your search area, you’ll have better selection. Here’s an example of a nearly “fully optioned” X748 not terribly far away;

That’s probably more $$ than you had in mind, but it does show you the potential capabilities of an X7 platform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have about the same size property (1 acre to mow, 3.5 wooded) and was looking at a CC (as I had an XT2 for a year before we sold the house and started building a new one). After looking at the CC line, I looked at the X3 and X5’s. X7’s were overkill for me, as I do not plan on doing major things that require ground engagement, and if so, my brother in law has a SCUT I can use. As parts of the mowing areas have some slope to them and for sure parts of the wooded areas are hilly, along with plowing a 200’ driveway, I figured I would need a diff lock. Long and short of it, I bought an X580 and love it ! I only have maybe 5 hours on it, and all of those hours have been hauling around a garden cart with rocks, mulch, etc. I love the tractor and it has performed very well so far. I have hauled full loads of old sod and dirt that my son in law needed to get rid of up a large hill with no issues, in fact, I didn’t even have to use the diff lock. Lawn was installed a week or so ago, so I will be putting the deck back on end of next week and am excited to see how it cuts !

Reactions: Zuul

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That sales person either doesn't know anything about what he is selling or is just trying to sell you what they have or both. You will want something with a bare minimum K58 transaxle for what work you are describing. I would actually say K66 minimum if you want it to last more than a few hundred hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you’re not used to the more capable machines, an X7 might seem large at first glance. But I think you would find it to be a good size/fit for your property.
I know. It sure SEEMED huge, though! 😝

I have about the same size property (1 acre to mow, 3.5 wooded) … I bought an X580 and love it!
The down side is, I’m not seeing any used X5** and a new one is more than a used X7**. Unless something else pops up, the market might decide for me.

That sales person either doesn't know anything about what he is selling or is just trying to sell you what they have…
I think it’s a combo of available inventory and me not emphasizing the tree work (enough). You can’t blame him TOO much for hearing my needs in a way that suited what he would like to sell. I was in a hurry, otherwise I would have steered the conversation to the X580, at a minimum.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts