My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago I started a thread and did a photo documentary of a modular home build near my home. It garnered a lot of interest, comment, debate, and in a few cases consternation. It was fun, and gave Scout and I something to do.

Well, another very small wooded property near my home, this time across the street was recently purchased, after a couple years on the market. It is quite narrow (at least for this area) though probably deep enough. I have not yet met the purchasers; I understand it is a young couple. But, I have permissioned access across a neighbor property, so Scout and I don't even have to cross a road.

Saturday, a tree company came and sawed down nearly every tree on the property, cut them to length, loaded them on a log truck, hauled them away. They chipped the brush and limbs into a couple mountains of chippings, and ran a brush buster on the front of a skid steer to push the back edge back.

Sunday morning, perhaps in deference to noise regulations, they came back and staked the site. This morning a different crew was back for some more noise work. An excavator was there snorting the big stumps out. A mulch blower was there installing and filling a silt/sediment/erosion bag fence. Around here these are called "Pigs".

And, finally the fastest acting firewood scrounger was hauling away the rest of the available wood. He had coaxed the excavator operator into loading the wood into his dump trailer.

Based on the first three days of activity, it appears this build will proceed much faster than the last one I photo documented.

As usual, I know absolutely nothing about the owner, builder, plans, . . . But, that won't stop me from documenting the project. And joining any of you interested in all manner of conjecture about progress, design advice, and spotting obvious mistakes. Thanks!

Reactions: Renster of N.H.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Another cool one to be sure, Jere39. Now you make sure the star get ample photo time as I didn't see him in any of these.

Reactions: Jere39

·
5,812 Posts
Where is inspector Scout?...Hope they do a nice job and it is something pleasing for you to see from your property.....I don't think we will see mistakes....these guys know what they are doing, it is just that there are different construction codes and methods in different jurisdictions

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again to the usual suspects following me. A couple quick notes:
  1. Scout was with me each time I visited this site. But, I do owe a picture of him. Missed a big chance this evening as we walked the site with the immediate neighbor. Scout got to jump up on the "Pig" (that is what Lowe's calls them here too).
  2. Again, I can't see it from my home, house, or lawn - not even from the roof of my house. But, I can see it from about 1000' down my driveway.
This evening I got an up close picture of the mound of stumps and roots the excavator muscled out today:

You can see how close they are to their neighbor to the west. From that same spot, I spun around and snapped a picture of the excavator behind which you can see the neighbor to the east:

I see properties like this and I am ever more appreciative that I can see no other homes from my house and lawn.

The operator leveled off the lot, and pushed a big pile of top soil to the rear of the staked lot. I wonder if he will begin digging the foundation and basement tomorrow? I also wonder why they saved that mountain of chipped brush and limbs. It seems likely they would want that removed before he digs the basement. At least likely to me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That lot does seem narrow from your pics Jere.

But, Man 'O Chevitts!
I don't think that my little CS 2210 could even lift that stump - never mind pry it out of the earth! 💪

Well... maybe if I had Scout to supervise...? 🤔

Renster

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
At least they saved the topsoil. My dad told me stories of builders removing all the topsoil at a site, as part of "site preparation" (so they also charged for doing this), selling it, then after the home was built, charging for bringing in new topsoil.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Wander over with a 6-pack when the future neighbor is on site (with Mrs. future neighbor as a DD of course) and make contact... your recent experience may be appreciated.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The excavator is digging the basement this morning. And, per request, Scout is laying an eagle eye on the tilted story pole there in the hole.

Reactions: lt230s

·
15,000 +posts!
20,314 Posts
At least they saved the topsoil. My dad told me stories of builders removing all the topsoil at a site, as part of "site preparation" (so they also charged for doing this), selling it, then after the home was built, charging for bringing in new topsoil.
That is exactly what the builder tried doing to my dad when he bought the land from him,and had a house built!..after he saw one dump truck load going away,he called the builder and told him "I'll NOT be buying my own dirt back !--get that truck back here,and dump it in the back yard,and all the rest of the dig being dug out for the cellar hole better STAY in the yard too--or I'll be calling my lawyer"..

About a half hour later,the truck returned,full of loam...and they piled the rest of the dirt behind the house about 75 feet away--where it stood until 2000,when my parents decided to sell the extra buildable lot it was on...

We also caught them burying stumps on the property ,which is supposed to be forbidden,knowing they will eventually rot and the ground will cave in where they were..they had to haul them all away,they did leave many big boulders on the property,they shoved them way out back with a big loader--one or two are almost half the size of a VW Beetle..

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Jere,

Round two of house build under Scout's guidance!

CCMoe

·
Super Moderator
30,876 Posts
Well I was worried that the house was being built without the trained eye of scout, you can't get anything past him, Jere probably but not Scout!! :)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Strolled down the hill this morning and found a delivery of stone spread just off the road. And a small crew setting forms in the hole.

The young man running that excavator is doing a fine job. But, it is my observation that it is not the perfect machine for all he is doing with it. For instance, when he was clearing the top soil, he set himself in each of four quadrants and scrapped into four piles. Then he centered himself and consolidated to two piles, and re-centered himself and consolidated to a single pile of top soil. When he dug the basement/foundation hole he similarly created several piles, then moved and consolidated the piles. Then he spread layers of wood ships on each of the piles that will likely be there a while. No problem, but not as efficient as perhaps a loader or even a dozer.

Anyway, I picked up my Grandson for the afternoon, and we strolled down to watch the concrete truck and pumper:

And, after dinner, we rode the ATV down close and walked across the road to check their work in the hole:

Several of you will be happy to see legit footers. These are keyed, so perhaps there will be pre-cast walls??? And there appear to be pads for support pillars, though it is curious that there are four so close together in the main space.

No doubt this building project is off to a faster start than the last one

Reactions: lt230s

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two tri-axle loads of stone early this morning and the operator brought the skid steer back and started moving stone into the "Basement".

I didn't see it happen, but he put some corrugated pipe on the outside of the footings, and at least some pvc inside the footings. The stone is filled to the top of the footers. He did not have a thumper to do any compressing, so I'm not sure if there is an intention/expectation to tamp it down some.

And, Scout was there, as puzzled as me:

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Looks like there isn't gonna be a basement... is that common there?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Several years ago a friend of mine got a quote to install vinyl siding on his house. The quote included a $500 "disposal fee" for the existing aluminum siding. Nice try!

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Jere,

There do concrete a little different than around here.

Could it be a modular?

Sure is some odd spacing on the pads.

Thanks for the updates, I do enjoy them.

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like there isn't gonna be a basement... is that common there?
Not common at all. Even a crawl space is unusual. A stand-up basement is the norm, probably 90+%. There appear to be multiple levels, and that is not totally unusual. The floor plan is not obvious. Maybe the less deep section is for the garage, where a basement would be unusual. The last house I followed actually dug out a basement under the garage, set pre-cast wall in that basement, then backfilled the entire section with stone. So, everything I think I know is being tested. The keyway in the top center of the footers is a possible tell for some kind of pre-cast wall structure.
Again, I will watch and share.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts