My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put new hoses on my 1979 Ford 445 front bucket shortly after it quit going up and down. It will curl both ways but not up and down. I switched the hoses on the cylinder and it went up and down for a little while but quit working after short while.

I believe I have air in the system but haven't found a bleeder or had much luck bleeding at the connections.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,473 Posts
Typically just putting the loader through its actions clears the air...did you change the filter when you equipped with the new hoses?...could be clogged...also...why change the hoses?...were they leaking?.If not, you likely had a different problem to begin with......did you use the same diameter hoses for the replacement?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hoses were fine just preventive maintenance. New hoses are exactly same. I did not change the filter.

After switching hoses on the cylinder it worked briefly.

·
Super Moderator
11,473 Posts
I would at least get started by taking the filter off and see if it is clogged...did you change the fluid with the new hoses?...did you catch and reuse the fluid?....could be a lot of hours on the fluid and it could use a change

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would at least get started by taking the filter off and see if it is clogged...did you change the fluid with the new hoses?...did you catch and reuse the fluid?....could be a lot of hours on the fluid and it could use a change
I put new fluid in it when I changed the hoses.

I have replaced the filter since we talked. Still not working.

I changed the hoses back and it worked temporarily. It seems like there is air in system but cant figurwe out how to bleed it out. Everything else hydraulic backhoe bucket, and curl on front bucket.

I feel like is something simple that I just not aware of.

Thanks for your help
John

·
Registered
727 Posts
There is no way to bleed air out unless you would like a hydraulic bath and possibly injury from high pressure oil. Hydraulics will bleed them selves out by just operating the loader valve.

·
Super Moderator
23,185 Posts
Which comes first in the circuit flow path, the back hoe or the loader?

I have a feeling that you are looking for a problem with the incorrect hose. If the loader is first, then I'm wrong, but if the backhoe is first, there is a possibility that the inner liner of the hose from the hoe to the loader has failed and is stopping flow at a specific pressure. Generally, it takes more pressure to raise and lower the arms than to curl the bucket.

Preventive maintenance for hoses means to have a spare on hand in the event that one actually has a problem. That can occur at any time from initial installation to after several thousand hours of use. Ten of the twelve hoses on my newer loader were replaced due to failures in the first 900 hours of service beginning at about hour 250. Three of the 12 hoses on my older loader were replaced by the time they had 2500 hours on them, beginning at about hour 1250.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which comes first in the circuit flow path, the back hoe or the loader?

I have a feeling that you are looking for a problem with the incorrect hose. If the loader is first, then I'm wrong, but if the backhoe is first, there is a possibility that the inner liner of the hose from the hoe to the loader has failed and is stopping flow at a specific pressure. Generally, it takes more pressure to raise and lower the arms than to curl the bucket.

Preventive maintenance for hoses means to have a spare on hand in the event that one actually has a problem. That can occur at any time from initial installation to after several thousand hours of use. Ten of the twelve hoses on my newer loader were replaced due to failures in the first 900 hours of service beginning at about hour 250. Three of the 12 hoses on my older loader were replaced by the time they had 2500 hours on them, beginning at about hour 1250.
Thank you. I will definitely take a look at that line. I believe it has 2 hydraulic pumps. One in the front and one in back for the back hoe attachment. But they are connected and there is a pressure control valve on the rear of the tractor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts