My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello - from southern Indiana and just acquired a Ford 8n. I am rebuilding the Carb and Governor in hopes that it will maintain its revs a little better while pulling a hill or with load. It is really nice and I am excited to learn about all its features and implements. I have a small plot of land and plan to bush hog, mow, and do some light clean up work. My 8N has a fairbanks morse magneto instead of a regular coil and distributor, also no generator. Great to find this website along with the forums, which I have found so much good info already.

DRT

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Welcome to MTF.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Welcome to the site...

·
Registered
228 Posts
pictures please!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Are you sure it's an 8N? it sounds like an early(wartime) 2N. How many speeds in transmission 3 or 4? It's at least part 2N!

·
Registered
101 Posts
:fing32:Welcome here and would be great to see some pics. Sounds like a 2N like oldsarge said they had a ration on rubber during WWII and a magneto instead of a regular coil and distributor and no generator sounds like a 2N.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will post some pics soon. I struggled a little to determine the model, but it has 8N components including a voltage regulator and resistor block under the front panel unhooked of course. It appears to be a front mount distributor model, but there is this heavy metallic structure right nearby the governor which convienently houses a Fairbanks Morse Magneto with a distributor cap on top with only four plug wires and no input from the non-existant coil. I have pondered returning it to a front mount and adding a gen, but want to see how it steps up after the carb and govenor rebuild. It runs but a little hard to start and will not start again after running without a complete cool down. Will post pics as I know this is fairly unique due to little info on the net about this configuration.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've got a 2N project i've been working on and would really like to see the fan belt pulley arrangement on your tractor with the mag and no generator. I've got all the steel wheels and mag to make my 2N a "war time" machine but have never seen the belt arrangement. a picture would be fantastic.

This is as far as I've gotten on this project.

Attachments

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts
I will post some pics soon. I struggled a little to determine the model, but it has 8N components including a voltage regulator and resistor block under the front panel unhooked of course. It appears to be a front mount distributor model, but there is this heavy metallic structure right nearby the governor which convienently houses a Fairbanks Morse Magneto with a distributor cap on top with only four plug wires and no input from the non-existant coil. I have pondered returning it to a front mount and adding a gen, but want to see how it steps up after the carb and govenor rebuild. It runs but a little hard to start and will not start again after running without a complete cool down. Will post pics as I know this is fairly unique due to little info on the net about this configuration.
Does it look similar to this ??

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey Ken. thats an intresting looking distributor. My mag is a Fairbanks Morse mag without a coil of any kind. What is the distributor set up out of ??

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts
Hey Ken. thats an intresting looking distributor. My mag is a Fairbanks Morse mag without a coil of any kind. What is the distributor set up out of ??

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
I copied the picture many years ago off the web (can't remember where!). It was titled "Front mount extension". Never seen one anywhere since. It is suppose to bring the front mount out from behind the radiator. :fing32:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking around EBAY and found a Fairbanks Morse Magneto and conversion mount, this is what is on my 8N. I have it running now, if I could just get the Governor to do its job. Thought you might like to see what I have, since I dont have an alternator and there is no other hookup to my battery other than the starter, do you all see any reason I couldnt use a 12 volt battery to kick the starter? Eventually I would like to add one to charge the battery at least.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Use a 12v for your starting needs since you are not using an alternator or generator you are perfectly safe in doing so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts