My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys
- nice forum.

I'm a new home owner with a new YT4000 - 42" deck, 42" thrower, can't wait to try the thrower out this year as the driveway at this place is 150'+

Cheers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea and so is MTF

nice looking craftsman, take good care of it

btw jay :MTF_wel2:

Thanks 89 - Do you own all of those tractors in your list? (edit, thought they were all tractors at first)... still a nice list....Impressive :)

And, yes I know good forums can be addicting! My other forum is for RC Helicopters. I have gobs of time on that site, but have spent less since buying a new home this year (new priorities).

http://helifreak.com/

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
yea dont ask how i have got all this stuff at 28 y/o ...... lol guess im older than i think, like the old man of the neighborhood, everyone come to me for tools, and stuff like that ...... i was to busy working and making money in my early 20's not drinking and chasing skirts, but it makes you feel proud to have all this stuff

im into gas powerd RC trucks, havent got into anything that flys yet

enjoy your time on here:trink39:

·
10,839 Posts
With the slope in your driveway, now would be a good time to find chains for the tires, and check the owners manual for the maximum amount of weight recommended for the rear end. Most likely it would be 40 pound wheel weights. Filling the tires with the fluid is another option, that is cheap and highly effective.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the slope in your driveway, now would be a good time to find chains for the tires, and check the owners manual for the maximum amount of weight recommended for the rear end. Most likely it would be 40 pound wheel weights. Filling the tires with the fluid is another option, that is cheap and highly effective.
Yes, that is part of the reason I joined MTF. I'm starting to look at chains/weights. I'd like to avoid chains, but as you've seen in my photos, there is a slope and I don't think I'll be able to avoid it. Unless I can since I have a thrower, and not a plow? Thoughts?

Also, how does one put fluid in a tire? Does it ruin the tire? Does one drain it in the spring? I may have to find a video for that... I may go that route.

My other question is, do wheel weights cause damage to the tranny? I remember reading that they can tear up these little hydro trannys - something due to the momentum. But it sounds fishy and I couldn't find much info on it. I'm thinking the trannys are torn up from people not knowing how to treat them right...

Lastly, when do you usually take your mowing deck off, Cat? I'm thinking I might have one more mow in about a week, but the grass is growing very slowly at this point.

·
Sears/Craftsman Owner
803 Posts
Lots of new toys in the garage!I have a red tractor also.It's a 77 model.Hope yours last as long as mine!

·
Let's Get It On
98 Posts
Yes, that is part of the reason I joined MTF. I'm starting to look at chains/weights. I'd like to avoid chains, but as you've seen in my photos, there is a slope and I don't think I'll be able to avoid it. Unless I can since I have a thrower, and not a plow? Thoughts?

Also, how does one put fluid in a tire? Does it ruin the tire? Does one drain it in the spring? I may have to find a video for that... I may go that route.

Here is a thread on loading tires I just finished reading http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1881882#post1881882

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Jay, congrats on the new ride and attachments, looks great :fing32:.

You don't have to remove the fluid in the tires once you fill them, my dealer loaded mine up 8 years ago when I purchased and no problems as yet. Here's a great video from member stladrill on filling tires with fluid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toe8ifXX418 :rauch10:.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jay, congrats on the new ride and attachments, looks great :fing32:.

You don't have to remove the fluid in the tires once you fill them, my dealer loaded mine up 8 years ago when I purchased and no problems as yet. Here's a great video from member stladrill on filling tires with fluid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toe8ifXX418 :rauch10:.
Cool Jim & thanks for the link.

So its just that easy, ey?

Also, I assume I just fill it up to the valve stem, with the stem at 12 oclock?

·
10,839 Posts
I'd like to avoid chains, but as you've seen in my photos, there is a slope and I don't think I'll be able to avoid it. Thoughts?

You will almost certainly need them with that slope. Wheel weights (25 pound ones) are a good idea along with the fluid.

The fluid (RV antifreeze or Windshield Washer fluid) will not harm the rim or tire. You will not have to drain it, the benefit of weight on the rear tires is something you want year around. Do a search on 'loading tires' in the Google search box above to find lots of threads on the subject.

My other question is, do wheel weights cause damage to the tranny?

Actually, I believe they may shorten the life of the hydro if left on year around. I don't think they are near as harmful when used in the winter, when operating temps inside that tranny never reach summer operating temps.

Lastly, when do you usually take your mowing deck off, Cat? I'm thinking I might have one more mow in about a week, but the grass is growing very slowly at this point.
Where in MN are you? I'm NW of the Metro, halfway up to St. Cloud. (N of Elk River) We're real dry here, and have been for awhile. If it doesn't rain in the next week, I won't have to mow again. I don't have any sizeable leafed trees close to me, (they are all pine trees) so bagging isn't an issue. I plan on putting the blower on the JD soon, but I should mention that I have multiple tractors, so its not like I'm going to have to put the deck back on. I wouldn't worry about the snowblower until the end of October. But the rear weight situation would be nice to get out of the way. WW fluid is cheap, easy to clean up, non-corrosive, and works just as well as anything.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where in MN are you? I'm NW of the Metro, halfway up to St. Cloud. (N of Elk River) We're real dry here, and have been for awhile. If it doesn't rain in the next week, I won't have to mow again. I don't have any sizeable leafed trees close to me, (they are all pine trees) so bagging isn't an issue. I plan on putting the blower on the JD soon, but I should mention that I have multiple tractors, so its not like I'm going to have to put the deck back on. I wouldn't worry about the snowblower until the end of October. But the rear weight situation would be nice to get out of the way. WW fluid is cheap, easy to clean up, non-corrosive, and works just as well as anything.
:thanku:

I like the idea of adding liquid ballasts and have been doing some research on it today. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on going that route soon.

I'll hold off another week on the deck or so, but am anxious to get the blower on :)

I'm in the eastern suburbs & we're dry here too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was checking out my tires a bit more

Given that i have fairly small rims, If I put the valve at 12 and fill it up, I'll only get about 60-70% fill. Is it common to take the tire off and lay it on its side to try to get more in?

... I assume you can only fill it to the valve.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Welcome to the site! As you've noticed, lots of great help here.
I've had a 42 and now a 48 inch Sears blower (different tractors) on a sloped driveway. Even with the wheel weights, rear tray weight and my weight (250 lbs), the wheels slip at times. FWIW, I've heard that some guys use lug tires without chains and have better results.
The most important advice is to buy a snow cab (assuming you haven't already). Worth twice what they cost when blowing in gusty, shifty winds (which is always, when in proximity to buildings, vehicles, etc.).
I keep the deck on until Thanksgiving because of all the oak tree leaves. We sometimes get early snow, which means I get to do a double-swap...
Good luck and have fun!
Mike

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm a recovering Hirobo Shuttle ZX pilot. Haven't flown in nearly 20 years due to other hobbies, work, life (wife and kids), etc. But, still have the gear and occasional itch, and probably would be flying again if my dealer were still in business.
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to the site! That machine is almost to pretty to use lol. I tried a plow last year ans was unhappy with the way THAT went. But that blower should do great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts