My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone Seen The New Holland 8n Tractor. I Was At Michigan International Speedway And There Was One There On Display. What A Beatiful Machine. Very Retro Looking.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Well they are just for bigger gardens:ROF :ROF

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Yes... there have been a couple of threads posted about the new Boomer 8N.

It certainly is a nice looking machine... however... for me, I'll just stick with the old originals. Something about using and maintaining this 60 year old piece of equipment... and still getting a good day's work out of it.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Readers of this thread should understand that the OP put his post onto the Case-Ingersoll-Colt GARDEN TRACTOR site originally. I asked the Mod to review it and if he felt it wasn't the appropriate spot for it, (like I did) to move it to where he felt it did belong. That's how it ended up here.

Over the past ten or so years, we have seen a number of examples of nostalgia creeping into the design of all sorts of things. I'm aware of retro refrigerators and stoves with a 50'ish look. Chrysler's Prowler and PT Cruiser date back to the thirties, GM's HHR has an early 50's design, the redesigned VW Bug and Austin Mini go back into the thirties and fifties respectively.

Recently, Navistar (formerly IH) trucks introduced the LoneStar, a highway truck with bold styling that sports the cow-catcher grille shells of 1934. A truck that some will love and others will hate, in my opinion. None-the-less, it is certainly a crowd stopper at the moment.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4248351.html

And now New Holland is building this 8N styled retro-tractor. It will be interesting to see if it bombs or does really well. Traditionally, Boomers have been fitted with either a standard gear transmission or with a hydrostatic drive. I have no clue how well a CVT transmission will work when plowing, discing or using a loader. I'd love to give one a try. So far, I've not seen any specs for this tractor. I wonder why?

·
4,275 Posts
Readers of this thread should understand that the OP put his post onto the Case-Ingersoll-Colt GARDEN TRACTOR site originally. I asked the Mod to review it and if he felt it wasn't the appropriate spot for it, (like I did) to move it to where he felt it did belong. That's how it ended up here.

Over the past ten or so years, we have seen a number of examples of nostalgia creeping into the design of all sorts of things. Chrysler's Prowler and PT Cruiser, GM's HHR, the redesigned VW Bug and Austin Mini. Recently, Navistar (IH) trucks introduced the LoneStar, a highway truck with bold styling that dates back to the cow-catcher grille shells of 1934.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4248351.html

And now New Holland is building this 8N styled retro-tractor. It will be interesting to see if it bombs or does really well. Boomers have been fitted with either a standard gear transmission or with a hydrostatic drive. I have no clue how well a CVT transmission will work when plowing, discing or using a loader. I'd love to give one a try. So far, I've not seen any specs for this tractor. I wonder why?
...and how does this relate to this forum?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
...and how does this relate to this forum?
It relates with regard to where the current trend is when it comes to styling. The retro look of the 8N Boomer is simply a furtherance of efforts made by other designers practicing their craft in other areas of the consumer market. Since the 8N Boomer is considered to be a CUT, then this is the correct forum to discuss it. Styling is what sets that tractor apart from all the other CUT's out there. As such, styling is most certainly an aspect of discussion.

·
4,275 Posts
It relates with regard to where the current trend is when it comes to styling. The retro look of the 8N Boomer is simply a furtherance of efforts made by other designers practicing their craft in other areas of the consumer market. Since the 8N Boomer is considered to be a CUT, then this is the correct forum to discuss it. Styling is what sets that tractor apart from all the other CUT's out there. As such, styling is most certainly an aspect of discussion.
Apparently, constructive sarcasm is lost on you.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
Caseguytoo;734337/ said:

And now New Holland is building this 8N styled retro-tractor. It will be interesting to see if it bombs or does really well. Traditionally, Boomers have been fitted with either a standard gear transmission or with a hydrostatic drive. I have no clue how well a CVT transmission will work when plowing, discing or using a loader. I'd love to give one a try. So far, I've not seen any specs for this tractor. I wonder why?

The CVT has been in production since 1996. Fendt Vario are at the forefront in this technology. Tons of high houred Varios running around Europe to prove it. Fendt brought them to NA in 2000. MF(AGCO) uses it, called Dynastep, JD calls their own inhouse version IVT, and not sure the name CNH will use for theirs.

It will be fine.
Glad to see t in the compacts. Just to eliminate confusion, it is NOT a glorified Hydrostatic transmission.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I actually saw a Boomer 8N in Orange Va., at a dealer, over the weekend. Great looking machine, but larger than I was expecting. 4 Cyl. Diesel in it. This one had a FEL on it. The rear end was massive!! I would not classify this a CUT. It is a small tractor, but not compact.
I was looking at it on Sunday, so no one to get a price from and I did not have my camera with me.:banghead3

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
I actually saw a Boomer 8N in Orange Va., at a dealer, over the weekend. Great looking machine, but larger than I was expecting. 4 Cyl. Diesel in it. This one had a FEL on it. The rear end was massive!! I would not classify this a CUT. It is a small tractor, but not compact.
I was looking at it on Sunday, so no one to get a price from and I did not have my camera with me
.:banghead3
The 8N was not a compact either, so it sounds like a nice tribute to it. I wish MF would do a new 35. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I grew up on an 8N, the new one is bigger and much stronger. I hope it goes over well with the public.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just came back from Michigan Internation Speedway. They had one there again, the guy said around 32,000. Nice, neat tractor, but too big and expensive for me.

Later

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have some pics I took at the local NH dealer I will post tomorrow, camera is in the truck which is at the dealer right now..

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
As promised here are a few pics from the dealers yard here in Moose Jaw..

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
I just passed my local NH dealer and he has the same machine parked out front. My daughter jumped right up in the seat. What a nice machine. If I only had a reason to own one, or the cash for that matter. The one we looked at had the chrome ROPS and dash treatment. If your gonna spend crazy money may as well buy the most decked out one they have.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts