My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father-in-law has been generous enough to let me use his model 1925 New Holland compact tractor. I went to borrow it a few weeks ago and was checking all the fluids and i saw that the radiator appeared to be empty. We filled it back up and i have used it quite a bit here recently but it doesn't leak antifreeze anywhere. I have it stored under my carport, 1 to keep the old battery charged and 2 to check for leaks but so far nothing. It has something like 2300 hours on it now. Is there a reason we lost so much antifreeze when it sat? It runs flawlessly, I just wanna catch any potential problems soon. Also when operating the hydrostatic drive it hangs in reverse and won't return to neutral. It's aggravating when your trying to load something with the FEL and in order to go from reverse to neutral you have to tap the pedal forward causing the tractor to jerk. I don't have a manual, and I'm not sure what year but the headlight's are separate in the front unlike the newer ones that are one piece lens. I will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot I had this one

Attachments

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Hello, 71mf12hs

The coolant must be going somewhere. Think maybe you have a blown head gasket?

Any unusual amount of white smoke/steam coming from your exhaust pipe? Crank case dip stick show any signs of coolant there?

Probably better to wait for some of our other members to chime in and offer a 'punch list' of items to check. Good luck on the diagnosis ;)

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Is your oil over full? slkpk

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil Clean, black smoke only. It does NOT have a radiator overflow though. It cranks right up, and hits on all cylinders. It has not leaked since i put the new antifreeze in it.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Most cooling systems won't leak until it pressureizes, then is when those small pinhole leaks, loose clamps, cracked hoses and blown headgaskets start to leak. Could be it only leaks when it's pressureized. If you can get your hands on a radiator pressure tester and pump it up to operating prssure, it'll leak if theres a problem.

I'd keep a sharp eye on the level and operating temp. It's not unusual for a system without an overflow bottle to completely lose all it's coolant when it's operating correctly. It takes some time but it's not unusual.

Good luck
Dave
Good luck
Dave

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I wish I did have a pressure tester. may have to make one. One more question. Under the right side of the seat is a red handle that is a cable pull to something on the trans. Any Ideal what this is? It has a backhoe attachment. When it's removed you disconnect the pressure and return lines and connect them on the tractor to form a loop when the backhoe is off. Could it be a shut down for the pump, maybe a parking brake or diff lock or something. this is a mid to later 90's model 1925 w 7308 fel 4wd.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sometimes my Case D40 will sit for weeks -- then suddenly a spot of anti-freeze will appear on the cement. This usually happens during a cold spell when everything contracts. However, this is only a few drops -- sounds like your leak is pretty major unless your FIL just doesn't check the radiator.

Your NH probably has a rubber tube coming out of the bottom of the radiator to drain it. Follow this tube and tighten all the clamps. After that -- tighten all the hoses, bolts around the water pump, etc ...

PS Tractor info doesn't list a NH 1925. Very unusual. Are you sure about the model # ?

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thats what the side cover says 1925 the newer ones I believe are tc33, is there a tag somewhere that I can determine the year and model? Also the antifreeze was lost durring theaugust september area. Fairly hot here.

I did some researching it's a 1999 new holland 1925 34 h.p.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Oil Clean, black smoke only. It does NOT have a radiator overflow though. It cranks right up, and hits on all cylinders. It has not leaked since i put the new antifreeze in it.
I'm no expert on small trctors, but on older cars and full size tractors WITHOUT a recovery tank, you only fill it up to 2" BELOW the filler neck. It allows room for expansion of the coolant when heated. The other thing is to make sure it DOESN"T have a radiator cap made for a cooling system with a recovery tank. It will start to leak a little as the engine warms up, but will quit as the cooling system pressurizes fast enough to force the rubber seal to seal the radiator cap. I know this doesn't sound right. All the non recovery radiator caps DON'T have an upper seal that mates to the top of the filler neck. The ones made for the recovery system have some type of rubber sealing it to the top of filler neck, one to the bottom of the filler neck, plus another smaller seal that fits past the bottom of the filler neck. (This allows the coolant to flow back into the radiator from the recovery tank as it cools down.) If it has the right cap and you fill it to the top, the coolant will drip here and there and you most likey won't see it leak. If you're not sure about the radiator cap, take a picture of the bottom side of the radiator cap and I will tell you which cooling system it is designed for.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here's the cap

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
You can do a simple test to check for antifreeze leaking into the crankcase. Just pull the oil fill cap & dab a bit of the oily deposit from its interior side & then touch the deposit to your tongue; ANY sweetness indicates the presence of glycol. This has been a horse-trading car buyer's trick since the Cadillac 4100 engines with leaky wet sleeve seals at their bottoms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts