My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Stephanie - Stephi online - My husband & I just recently acquired an old Hechinger and I have been trying to find the year, pictures of new ones, the like so that we can have better idea of what it is that we have.

It's a Hechinger, 18hp engine, 44" side discharge deck, garden tractor. I have the Owner's Manuals, however due to their age some of the pages are partially destroyed.

I tried researching it online and the only site I found about Hechingers was this forum. After reading a few different threads I am assuming that y'all are an intelligent batch of folks that can maybe help us.

We are needing to do general maintenance, but are not sure what kind of oil it requires for the oil change, where to get the oil filter, and other likewise tune-up necessities or future repairs.

It's in great shape - if you over look the extreme amount of rust and dents - but it runs and operates beautifully.

I do have the serial number - 41-023-9953 - if that helps. I'll have to wait until it's light out to get the exact model number, as the previous owner does not have that specified on the manuals.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

~Stephi~

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
581 Posts
:Welcome1: Stephi -

I have no idea what a Hechinger is, but I'd sure like to find out! Hopefully, someone on here will come to your resuce and provide some info. You know what would draw these guys to your aid like moths to a light bulb? Pictures - lotsa pictures! Then we can see what the heck a Hechinger is!

Good luck, and welcome,
Rich

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
:MTF_wel2: glad your here.

I'm not sure what it is but I'm pretty sure I saw someone here say it was made by MTD ?

But pictures would be like setting out a buffet for a bunch of hungry farmers lol.

Hope you have good luck and I'm sure the members here can help.

Ron

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Stephi if you search the name of your tractor it will pull up some threads and who knows about them, and just like I thought Wasper had posted some info on them and It turns out they were made by MTD (I thought it looked like one).

So do some searching and PM Wasper he sounds like he's delta with them before.

P.S. we love pics so break out that camera :wwp::wwp::wwp:.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=130922&highlight=Hechinger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is made by MTD. I'll try to remember to get pictures of it tomorrow. I had an extensive doctor's appointment on Monday in the city (an hr away) and *excuse*excuse*...

Then today it was raining and I just didn't think about it.

I know it has a Briggs & Stratton motor with a dual circuit alternator. I also know that it does great at lifting itself up off the ground if you give it just a wee bit too much gas when shifting into 3rd gear, haven't attempted 4th yet because my yard isn't that safe. - It is a 4 speed and my yard is on the steep side. I'm going to be taking it out to the field to really open it up and see how it does, hopefully I won't frighten the horses too badly....

So what used to take me 4 - 6 hours with a 20" push mower only takes me about 20 minutes. :thThumbsU (Yard is an acre on the side of a hill).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are my pictures...at least the ones that I'm able to get uploaded. The *nice* thing about living in the country is the only type of available internet connection is a slow one (dial-up). Its a bit rough looking and I've been doing a bit of tune-up work on it, hence the reason the top is ajar...then it downpoured on me in the middle of it. BLAH! But there she is.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Does it have the sleeve hitch on the rear? I'd buy it from you if it has it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts