My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up. Haven't decided if a garden tractor or a regular tractor would be right for me. I will be mowing about 4 acres and gardening maybe an acre. I could buy a new pgt 9000 but for 400 dollars less I could purchase a new 27 hp 54 inch deck deluxe garden tractor. The pgt has the briggs and straton and the deluxe has the kholer. Any pros or cons to either one? Is one a better value? I plan on using ground engaging attachments.

Thanks,
Dan

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum, otisconhillbilly!

4 acres will demand a good solid machine whether it be a GT or yard/lawn tractor.

Your last statement locks you into a GT. A yard/lawn tractor will not pull a plow or disk.

I realize you posted this in the Craftsman forum, and I think that a good many of us either started with a craftsman and moved up as our needs changed, or stuck with craftsman as it fit our needs perfectly. I would suggest you consider other options and other brands as well.

If you must have a new tractor, then Husqvarna (who makes your craftsmen) has a GT with a commercial engine. I believe if I had 4 acres, I would look at a 2354GXLS though it's only $500 more than Sears top of the line GT.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landowner/products/garden-tractors/2354gxls/

Now, if you don't mind wrenching a little every now and then, there are dozens of brands and models of older GTs that can be had for less than the price of a new consumer grade GT, and are 10 times the tractor.

If someone were to ask what these were over in the John Deere forum, I'd know exactly what models to recommend.

·
Registered
129 Posts
otis,

If you're going to be doing heavy gardening/ground engagement on an acre of land with this tractor, you may be better off going with a tractor designed for ground engagement. Using any Craftsman, even the GT 9000 or DGT5000 would eventually be too much and tear it up. If it was me, I would go with a heavier Deere, 2000 or 3000 series or some other medium weight/utliity tractor, which is a lot more than you're looking at.

The Craftsman GT/DGT tractors are good for light ground engagement and grass mowing and snow removal, but not for heavy gound engagement. A garden over a few hundred square feet is too much for them unless you are extremely careful and the ground is well worked.

I have an '04 DGT6000 with 54 inch mower and a '92 GT6000 with a 44 inch mower that I maintain 4 acres with. I do the lawns and some light ground work. The 4 acres was too much for the '92, it took about 8 hours just to do the lawn, but the DGT6000 can mow the four acres in about 4 hours. The DGT6000 also does a little landscaping with a dozer and I use it to skid downed trees and large pruning jobs to my burn area and run a snow blower in the winter.

The alternative is to borrow/rent a heavier tractor to do the really heavy grunt work then use the Craftsman for the light work. After all, just how much really heavy work is there with a small garden?

When I was a kid, we had a small garden, a little over an acre, we plowed with an old Ford 2N every couple of years to break up the dirt, then used a rototiller to do the fine work. I would have given my left @#$ for a small tractor to do all the light work we did by hand or with a wheel barrow or hand pull cart.

The problem is that the Craftsman frames have really gotten cheaper/lighter in the past several years and the engines more powerful. The engines have so much power they can twist the frames up before you know it.

Runningbare

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think the PGT has the new HydroGear G300 tranny (with external oil filter.) The Pro has the more time proven TuffTorq K66 with slightly better spec's tranny, but does not have the external oil filter or the advantage of being easily serivceable (oil changes)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts