My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first post. I am new to the Lawnboy mowers. Just had an old model 3056 given to me by a co-worker. Based on the serial number 5xxxxxx it looks to be a 1971 model. Has the old D432 2-stroke engine on it with a busted pull cord. Deck is in decent shape and could use a new blade. The thing is ridiculously light and is exactly what my wife needs to push around the lawn. So I am going to try to get the thing running. I am mechanically inclined so I should be able to do so.

I tore the pull cord pulley off and have found the starter spring to be broken in a couple of pieces. Almost looks like it got brittle and cracked where it broke. I plan to pick up a new one after work. I also have the carb torn off to clean it up a bit.

Are there any other things that are common to go on these things that I should look for before getting it up and running.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Nice bricktop lawnboy you have. If I were you I'd clean the carb, fix up the pull starter and take off the muffler to check for excessive carbon to clean out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of cleaning the muffler exhaust port out because of the carbon build up on these 2 strokes.
I will get pictures of it asap.

Is it safe to assume that I should use the standard 32:1 Fuel/Oil mix on this mower?

·
Registered
656 Posts
:Welcome1: ....Light weight mower....fixed up for the wife.....way to go.....:fing32:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
:Welcome1: Theres plenty of Gurus here to get er going agian. Hope you enjoy the site.!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only other things to look for is that the seals are sealing and that there is not too much play in the bottom engine bushing. Mine has some play in it. One day I will fix it, but for now it runs fine. Getting that spring back in can be tricky. Be careful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question before I install the starter spring - which direction does the spring need to be wrapped around it if you were looking at it from the shaft side?

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Look at it as the "gear" test. If gear "A" turns clockwise and gear "B" turns counter........ the spring has to placed clockwise. As you pull the starter, it makes the spring coil "counterclockwise" as well as the starter pinion gear, which then is actually turning the flywheel "clockwise"-the direction the engine runs. Make sense?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Re: New here - Lawnboy 3056 owner - starter spring question

Still a little confused. Mainly because I believe that the service manual depicts it both ways. If you look at section 7 of the service manual, the 2 pictures seem to depict it being coiled in opposite directions.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts