My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a Garden Tractor project but I can't find a model # anywhere on the tractor and the previous owner has no Idea of what it is. The B&S 18.5 motor is a 96 according to the code # (9604245B)and all it has on the hood is Murray 18.5 HP Twin/46" and Garden Tractor. There is no data plate under the seat or on the rear of the tractor. From looking at all the parts diagrams on http://www.ordertree.com/ModelInfo.asp for 1996, it seems to be a 46379X192A or 46379X92A. does anyone have any Idea of what the difference is in these two model's?
I will post some pictures tomorrow, but for now does anyone have any ideas?
I intend to make this a dedicated garden tractor and do away with the deck because I have a Woods M2250 for mowing. So all that said I am looking at getting a hitch, tires, weights, molboard plow, cultivator and disk.
All seems to be good with running gear and the body is solid except for missing headlight lenses and a scratch or two, the motor has a slight miss but I think a tune-up and cleaning the carb will fix that and the best part is $150.00 invested so far.
I am sorry for being so long winded on my first post but I have to get started somewhere. All help is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Big-o, welcome to MTF. There is no physical difference in those two model numbers you have listed. The numbers after the "x" signify the retailer/purchaser of the tractor. Here is a quick run down of Murray model numbers and date of manufacture codes I posted a little while back.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=145127

Looking foward to the pics.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Anny Ideas on where to get headlight lenses that don't cost $80.00 a set plus shipping. Heck that is more than half of what I payed for the whole tractor LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Do you know the part # ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I said before I think this is a 96 or 97 model 46379. The lens #'s for that tractor are 092540MA Left, 092539MA Right and the best $$ I have been quoted is 39.99 each

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Sweet. How's that 1st gear, super slow? Let me poke around for a cheaper lens source. That is insanely high.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's like the little 4x6 cover on each side below the steering wheel they want $15.00 each for those.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah 1st is loooow enough that I could get off and walk around it at about half throtle. It needs some work but for the $$ I gave for it I couldn't pass it up. All I will be replacing on the outside is the amp meter, lenses and fixing a small crack at the bottom of the grill which I am hoping a torch and zip-ties will do a good plastic weld, like on an ATV fender. Next will be a good tuneup and then it is off to find a sleeve hitch that will fit. And as for the small things like the lenses I will fab some covers out of fiberglass and paint them black before spending $80 on something I will never use due to the fact that all I am going to use it for is garden/food plot work, but if I can get them at a good price I will put them on.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Ouch, I looked around and nobody has those lenses cheap. You could always search eBay and also you could have them email when someone lists a "Murray Lens" or "Murray Headlight". Those hoods are famous for cracking. They sell them new for $145 plus s/h, just for the plastic part - but - that does include new headlight lenses. The part is #92542. Still pretty pricey though IMHO.

As far as the sleeve hitch, most guys have been modifying Craftsman sleeves to fit, which I think just involves drilling new holes. You can find Murray [Haban] sleeves but more than likely you will overpay compared to a Craftsman sleeve.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will start a new thread this evening or tomorrow with pictures on the fix for the lenses. I can make a set of painted covers for about $10.00. Thanks for looking though.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I will start a new thread this evening or tomorrow with pictures on the fix for the lenses. I can make a set of painted covers for about $10.00. Thanks for looking though.
That will be great. Looking foward to it. That's a great machine you got. Murrays are under rated to say the least, but that's ok because that means we get them cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Here is the brake adjust instructions. Just click it to enlarge.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info., I hope that is all I have to do. Like I said in the PM the only place I am having a problem is when I am on a hill. I don't know if it is the brakes or what. It will stop and hold itself in place but I can't change gears at all and that is not good when you are in a tight place pointed uphill grill almost against a fence and I cant shift to reverse. It works fine on level ground so I hope it is just the brakes letting it slip back a little and putting it in a bind. If that doesn't work I will start a new thread tomorrow and see what we can do to solve this problem.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If that doesn't work I will start a new thread tomorrow and see what we can do to solve this problem.
Yeah, start a fresh thread. Sounds like maybe a clutch adjustment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts