My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
deevemon
199 Posts
:Welcome1:

if it's in pretty good shape, then that's a fine machine you have there. I had one back in the day and it was a beast.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Welcome. They are a very tough tractor and the Kohler is even tougher

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Welcome to MTF. Isn't that tractor on CL?

Jason

·
Registered
498 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Welcome to the forum, too bad on the engine, low on oil?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Welcome to the Bolens gang.
Don't sell it restore the beast.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
all old 1886s should be shipped to gray wolf.pp,he,ll make sure it will have a nice home.engines need oil checks every time you think about starting them.sorry to hear the engine locked up..all is not lost.can bebuild.have fun on the site.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I agree that all is not lost. You could even pick up another 1886 with a bad trans and swap over the engine. That's what the PO did on mine. It has a motor from an HT-23 in it.

Jason

·
5,525 Posts
Not a bad looking 1886-04.

Welcome to MTF.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't sell it because of a bad engine. Lots of engines out there and a bunch of experts on this site that can you help.

I striped out a trans gear on my 1886 today pushing #2 stone, I'll find the parts and I'll fix it.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
If you were closer I would swoop in on that like a big brid. You can never have to many 1886's around.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Don't sell it because of a bad engine. Lots of engines out there and a bunch of experts on this site that can you help.

I striped out a trans gear on my 1886 today pushing #2 stone, I'll find the parts and I'll fix it.
If you are in need of the gears i have 4-5 of those trannys sitting here.just pm me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the support.

Full disclosure: This is my dad's tractor. He has had it for roughly 25 years. When the engine blew out on it a couple weeks ago, he was nearly in tears. He doesn't think he has the money/knowledge to fix it so he figured he would have to sell it. He doesn't really use the Internet so he asked me to try to sell it for him.

I actually agree with all of you and would like to see him keep it and try to rebuild it. This is the tractor I mowed our lawn with when I was growing up. My dad used to till all of our neighbors' gardens with it and plow their driveways. To be honest, I had forgotten he still had it and couldn't believe it was still running. It's a **** fine machine. They just don't make them like this anymore, do they?

Maybe I can still talk some sense into him.....?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks for all the support.

Full disclosure: This is my dad's tractor. He has had it for roughly 25 years. When the engine blew out on it a couple weeks ago, he was nearly in tears. He doesn't think he has the money/knowledge to fix it so he figured he would have to sell it. He doesn't really use the Internet so he asked me to try to sell it for him.

I actually agree with all of you and would like to see him keep it and try to rebuild it. This is the tractor I mowed our lawn with when I was growing up. My dad used to till all of our neighbors' gardens with it and plow their driveways. To be honest, I had forgotten he still had it and couldn't believe it was still running. It's a **** fine machine. They just don't make them like this anymore, do they?

Maybe I can still talk some sense into him.....?
Ypu should absolutely try. If he sold it, what would it be replaced with? Probably a box store mower that will only last a few years and cost just as much as he is selling that 1886 for. I bet you could find another complete motor for fairly cheap that you could drop into it.

Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ypu should absolutely try. If he sold it, what would it be replaced with? Probably a box store mower that will only last a few years and cost just as much as he is selling that 1886 for. I bet you could find another complete motor for fairly cheap that you could drop into it.

Jason
Talked to him about it last night. He said he wants to replace it with a larger tractor. He'll be retiring in a few years, so he'll be without the services of the inloader at the ready-mix plant. He wants to have a tractor big enough to plow the snow out of his driveway. This past winter it drifted 4-6 feet high a couple of times and his 1886 wouldn't have been able to handle it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts