My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just registered to hopefully get some information on a couple simplicity tractors I have been given from my grandfather. One is a 1960s landlord 2000 series and the others is a 1980s 7114 Hydorstatic. I'm looking to sell both of them but wanted to get some estimated value before doing so...

Both mowers start up and cut perfectly fine. The landlord is obviously 40+ years old so the seat cushion is gone and the paint is a bit rough in spots but both mowers have been serviced annually garaged their entire life. They are built like tanks!

I guess once my account is active I'll head on over to the Simplicity thread and post some wanted informtion.

Id essentially like to sell both mowers and my john deere 160 and put the proceeds toward a walk behind scag or zero turn commercial grade mower. I have an acre of grass (not much) but would like to get the lawn cut in less than 20 minutes. Right now it takes me about an hour with the JDeere 160. Id also like to grab one of these commerical grade mowers since my boys will be cutting lawns in the neighborhood in about 4 or 5 years.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing you on the boards.

GeorgeL

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome. I for one would like to hear more about the tractors. You may want to think about that 7114 a bit. Simplicity's Sovereign deep deck is one of the best ever built, and on the Hydro equipped 7114 once you learn it, will mow up to 2.5 acres/hr. With proper maintenance it will probably run another 25 years. As you noted, they're built like tanks.

Please post some pictures along with ID numbers. And where in CT are you? are you near I-91?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

to a fellow Nutmegger.

Can't beat a Simplicity cut, and those machines will do your yard pretty quickly. You just can't beat the strength and durability of that old iron.

·
Registered
120 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

to a fellow Nutmegger.

Can't beat a Simplicity cut, and those machines will do your yard pretty quickly. You just can't beat the strength and durability of that old iron.
And thats the truth!!!

I used to be afraid to ask stupid questions, took me a LONG time to figure out RBT's and FDT's as a consequence. (Running Board Tractor & Foot Dragging Tractor) I've since learned the only stupid question is the one unasked. So, whats a Nutmegger?

The last time I mowed it was looking like rain (it didn't) So I opened up my 74 3416H all the way and mowed/striped this 1.1 acre piece in 25 minutes. Only death is going to part us :).

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I just posted pics and a little info in the Simplicity forum on this board.

After reading what you guys wrote I think I might have the 7114 gone over by a local Simplicity dealer and retire my John Deere 160. The more I read about these mowers the more I am second guessing selling them.

Head on over to my other thread and let me know what you think.

And yes, Im relatively close to I-91. If you were to get off I-91 and get on RT15 aka Merrit Parkway I am about 35 miles south.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
So, whats a Nutmegger?
Okay, since you asked..:thThumbsU

The "Nutmeg State"
According to the book State Names, Flags, Seals, Songs, Birds, Flowers, and Other Symbols by George Earlie Shankle (New York: H.W. Wilson Company, 1941):

"The sobriquet, the Nutmeg State, is applied to Connecticut because its early inhabitants had the reputation of being so ingenious and shrewd that they were able to make and sell wooden nutmegs. Sam Slick (Judge Halliburton) seems to be the originator of this story. Some claim that wooden nutmegs were actually sold, but they do not give either the time or the place."

Yankee peddlers from Connecticut sold nutmegs, and an alternative story is that:

"Unknowing buyers may have failed to grate nutmegs, thinking they had to be cracked like a walnut. Nutmegs are wood, and bounce when struck. If southern customers did not grate them, they may very well have accused the Yankees of selling useless "wooden" nutmegs, unaware that they wear down to a pungent powder to season pies and breads." Elizabeth Abbe, Librarian, the Connecticut Historical Society; Connecticut Magazine, April 1980.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Well, I DID ask... Thanks.
:1221: An historical glimpse: time travel.

Life in slow motion, simple, yet busy with something.

A very rich moving picture really. An event describing previous events in a previous time, from a then current and interpretive point of view.

This is some of where we were, as we were, from whence we came. :1221:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts