My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Brand new potential tractor owner here and I'm looking for info to make my final decision easier.
After lots of researching, it seems like the model I'm deciding on is a Husqvarna YTH22V42LS.
Anyone who owns this tractor and wants to give me some pros and cons on it, please feel free to chime in.
Thanks

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Kev. Welcome aboard. I have that model. I have 27 hours on mine. It's a good tractor. I guess it would help to know how big and hilly your yard is. For less than an acre of flat to small rolling hills, I would recommend this tractor. Also if you are not going to use it to pull large amounts of weight. The weak point of the tractor is the K46 transaxle. It is built for light duty. I have really only had one issue with my 22v42ls, and that was due to a belt popping off of the transmission and getting wedged under the transmission pulley. Apparently, Husqvarna got a bad batch of belts from their supplier, and it took a couple of weeks to get the correct part in. Other than that, I have had no issues. I love the way that it cuts, It drives nicely. I feel that I got the most mower for what I could afford. I looked at both Cub Cadet and John Deere as well. I wanted the fabricated deck. So far, I am very happy with my purchase. I use mine to mow less than half of an acre, and to pull a lawn roller once in a while. My front yard is flat, and my back yard slopes mildly away from my house, so I expect it to last a long time. I hope that this helps. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome aboard Kev, if you are going to put a bagger on the fabricated deck i would chose a model that has the stamped deck. I had purchase a 2010GTH26V48LS with the powerflow bagger and what a pice of crap, they could never get the deck leveled because of all the added weighy from the powerflow blower also went through 7 belts in less than 35 hours so save your money.I went back to my dealer and got a new YTH2246XLS that they just came out with that some dealers don't even know about yet and just love it. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.
Yea, Kid5, the front of my house is manicured lawn, but the back is a (slow) work in progress. That's why I wanted the fab deck. Lot's of small stumps and roots back there and I figured a heavier duty deck would be the trick.
I also wanted to get the powerflow bagger they have for it, but Lawn Nut says stay away and I think I've heard that before somewhere, about the mower deck not leveling properly because of the blower weight.
Thought I had the right tractor finally, now I'm not so sure.
Anybody else have any experience with the powerflow bagging system?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have sold two powerflow baggers lately to customers who purchased the 42 and 48 inch decks earlier this year. We were able to level them out without any issues, I would say it must be a hit and miss sort of thing some people have issues others don't have any. I can only say from experience that they have worked well but from on here it seems like it is 50/50 from what I have read at least.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tyler.
Found another dealer who said they've sold 4 or 5 this season and had no issues with the deck not leveling after installing the fan assisted bagger. It probably depends a lot on the dealer and their level of skill and experience as to whether or not these these decks are leveled correctly. And I think I found one.
Anyway, I bought it yesterday. $3000 for everything including tax and delivery. Not too bad I guess.
I'll post up how it runs after I get it today or tomorrow and try it out.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd check the deck to make sure it's leveled first before I mowed with it.

My GHT27V52LS was off 3/4'' on one side when I got,so don't trust the dealer to do it unless you watch them do it. I thought they would make sure every one is level before it leaves but I guess not.

I forgot,you're gonna get the PowerFlow so you'll have to level it anyway.
Hope you enjoy it and don't forget to post some pictures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my tractor came today (YTH22V42LS) with the bagger installed. The first thing I did after the guy dropped it off was check the level of the deck. The belt cover wasn't on right-the tab was out of place. Then I noticed the blower belt wasn't even attached! When I put the deck on the lowest setting, I noticed the bagger side anti-scalp wheel was touching the driveway and the other side wasn't. Which made me realize the deck wasn't level. I measured the blade on each side, and sure enough, there was about an inch difference. The blower side being lower. I called the dealer and told him about the belt not being attached and the deck not being level. He said he doesn't know how the belt came off because he checked it yesterday. Then he said the deck has to be level because it's such a heavy duty deck, the weight of the blower wouldn't change the level.
Anyway, I reattached the belt and releveled the deck. But I'm kind of ******. Before I bought it, I specifically asked him if I have to relevel the deck when I switch between the bagger and side discharge and he said no.

So that's my experience, you DO have to relevel the deck when switching between bagger and no bagger. Kind of sucks.
But other than that, the mower runs and cuts really well. And I'll probably only use the bagger in the spring when the grass is really thick, and the fall, when I want to pick up leaves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's an update on my new (1.5 hours) YTH22V42LS.
After reattaching the belt on the blower bagger and releveling the deck (which should have been done by the dealer before they delivered it), I thought I was all set. I did a couple of passes on my lawn to check it out, but then had to take my daughter to a doctor's appointment.
When I got home, I finished up the yard. The tractor cut alright, but half the grass that went up the shoot to the bagger blew out from under the top of the bagger cover all over me and the mower. What a mess! I am so frustrated with this whole bagging system. I did a lot of research before buying this tractor and bagger and thought I was making a good decision.
I thought going to a dealer and paying more for a "premium" tractor and bagger would bring more satisfaction than going to a big box store and getting a tractor there.
I could have spent 1/3 the price I spent for this P.O.S and probably got the same quality mower/bagger.
I called the dealer I bought this from and said I want my money back (I paid cash).
He said he doesn't think he can do that and can't make that decision anyway because the owner is gone for the weekend.
Does anyone else have this bagger and have similar problems and how did you fix it?
Also, any recommendations on how to deal with the dealer if I can't return it?
Phew..Thanks for letting me vent

·
Registered
86 Posts
Kevlm...tried to worn you about all the problems before you wasted your money from all my problems you should have got the YTH22V46XLS instead of that **** poor designed tractors bagging system,GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kevlm...tried to worn you about all the problems before you wasted your money from all my problems you should have got the YTH22V46XLS instead of that **** poor designed tractors bagging system,GOOD LUCK!!!
Thanks Lawn nut.
I didn't really believe that a large company like Husqvarna would put out such a piece of crap, and have the balls to charge $800 for it!
Boy, is my face red...

:fing20:

The dealer did have a tractor like the one you got at his shop. Maybe I can make a deal....

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know what to tell ya. I don't have the bagger on mine and mine cuts real good,sometimes if I hit uneven ground it'll gap at the chute since it doesn't have a skid guard but other than that it cuts good.

I cut lady's yard across to the street and she raves at how well that mower cuts and how nice I am to do for free. She'll use her self propel around the edges while I get the rest,which would take her about 3 hours.

Hope you can make a deal with them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same model and I love the way that mine cuts. (No bagging) I just cut with it again today, and it did a spectacular job. I really don't know if it is possible for my yard to look any better. I have some bumps that I have to go over, (curbs) and my deck has never lost its level. It sounds to me like the dealer is not the best. If it wasn't assembled correctly, and wasn't leveled correctly, it could be a dealer issue. I'm not trying to brush you off, because many people have complained of the same thing, but I wouldn't trust a dealer who sent me a tractor with a blower that wasn't assembled correctly, or a deck that was so far off level. I would raise **** and have them make it right, or refund the blower. The tractor itself is a very capable mowing machine. Personally, I would put the $800.00 towards a cyclone rake. They are a bit more expensive, but have received rave reviews.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, just to update my situation:
My dealer redelivered my tractor Friday afternoon...exactly as they picked it up, with all the same problems! (See previous post).
I got on the phone with the dealer right away and told him I've had it with this machine and that I want something different. He talked it over with the owner and they gave me credit for something else. My original receipt said "All Equipment Sales are Final" and I paid cash so I figured I'd pick up something from stock before they changed their mind.
The two tractors they had in stock in my price range were a Simplicity Regent 20HP, 38" cut and a Husqvarna YTH22V46XLS. The Simplicity cost $2399 and the Husqy cost $1999.
The Simplicity seemed well made, but I'm not sure $400 more well made. And the bagger was $600 (I think) vs. the Husky's $369. And it's a three bushel bagger.
So I bought the Husqy and with the extra $ left, I bought a tractor cover and an Echo PAS system with the trimmer and brush cutter.
Got the tractor delivered Saturday. This is a very good machine. Perfect condition and everything set up correctly. The non-powered bagger seems to pick up as well as the powered version, but even though this deck is reinforced, I still would like the fabricated deck. They just seem to have a problem with the whole bagging system for it.
Anyway I'm happy now.
And by the way, my dealer told me there was a mix up at his shop, and my tractor never got worked on because the mechanic didn't realize it was getting redelivered that day so he didn't do anything to it.
Here's a couple of pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm glad that they made it right for you, and that you are happy. Great pics too! It really is a shame about the bagger issues with the fabricated decks, because the YTHLS series really is a nice tractor when set up properly. It's a shame that they're getting kind of a bad rap lately. Hopefully, Husqvarna will fix these issues.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well,glad that they made it right with you also.After reading all these posts about LS's decks it's hard for me to believe since mine cuts very good.

I think you'll like the Echo,I just got one,I got the trimmer/edger combo.Kinda tough for me to start or rather not a easy as my old Toro trimmer,but I still like it. Here is a link to my review of it.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=145317

One thing HD and Lowe's does is refund all your money if you ain't satisfied,even if you paid cash,as long as you have the receipt,but then again a dealer will always have you in their system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well,glad that they made it right with you also.After reading all these posts about LS's decks it's hard for me to believe since mine cuts very good.

I think you'll like the Echo,I just got one,I got the trimmer/edger combo.Kinda tough for me to start or rather not a easy as my old Toro trimmer,but I still like it. Here is a link to my review of it.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=145317

One thing HD and Lowe's does is refund all your money if you ain't satisfied,even if you paid cash,as long as you have the receipt,but then again a dealer will always have you in their system.
Don't get me wrong about the fab deck on the 22V42LS. It's a great deck on a great tractor. And if I didn't want to bag occasionally, I would definitely buy it instead of the YTH22V46XLS. I just don't think Husqvarna has the bagger for it perfected yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts