My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to all this "garden tractor" stuff. Prior to last weekend I called these things "riding lawn mowers". I've owned an 89 JD170 for several years.
I just bought an SS15 with some attachments (tiller, plow, front blade, disc, and sicklebar mower). I was originally just looking for a rototiller for my garden but found this and figured it would be fun for my 2 acre property. I was correct, its loads of fun. Within 2 hours of getting it home I had plowed the garden, tilled the garden, and bladed some of the gravel drive. All with a big ole grin on my face!
Everything is in rusted but working order more or less.
I've hit up the net, ebay and such, and ordered up the brake strap and drum. The current drum has ground through the strap, brake pad material long since gone. The drum is pretty grooved so I'll replace it. Also someone buggered up the PTO engagement mechanism so I hit up ebay for that also and its inbound.
I'm at a bit of a loss with the roto-spader. Its all serviceable, gear box and bearings not to loose and rotate smoothly, motor runs fine, ect... But someone has bubba'd up the tiller tines. They have cut off the existing tines and welded on some bent chunks of steel. One of the outer blade sets is missing entirely. Not an issue, I can weld and fab up what I need. But I'm looking for suggestions on tiller tines/blades if anyone's been down this road.
The sicklebar mower is another item I'll have to deal with. The guy I bought it from says it doesn't fit this mower because the running board interferes with part of the mower framework so you cant install the rear mounting pin(s). I bought it from him anyhow just cause it looked cool and I'd never seen one before. Paid $100 for it and the mule drive. So I'm also looking for any suggestions on the sicklebar mower. My tractor doesn't seem to appear on the "fit up guides" I've found.

Tractor 917.25381
38" rotospader 917.251884
10" plow 917.253020
46" bulldozer/snow plow 917.253331
40" disc 917.252??1
Sicklebar mower, guessing 917.253120, think tag is missing.

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Looks good. A lot of nice attachments

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Welcome to MTF!!!!

You've hit the JACKPOT!!:dancingpa

You've caught the Suburban FEVER, now start building that 10 bay garage for the other tractors you will be buying!:kens:

The Sub-15's are work horses and will continue to chugg right along with just a kind word and some maintnance now and then!

I've read a post (?) on here where a member cut the footrest's bottom edge (model??) inorder to attach a sicklebar mower before. I'd rather see if the foot rest could be relocated a little higher with mod-brackets using existing holes. If possible, wish I was home so I could walk out and look at my tractor and give some better ideas....really sucks sometimes living overseas!

If your SS-15 didn't come with manuals and I hope you asked the seller for all literature on the equipment you purchased!! Here Stripmine's site with a copy of my Sub-15 model# 917.25200 manual which should be almost the same as yours. Look for 1972 Sub-15 on left side of page, scroll bars.

http://www.stripmine.org/sears/

Parts Diagrams:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...381/0247/1509200?searchedModel=917.25381&blt=

I'm sure the smile will grow with every new use that you find for the new to you SS-15!

:trink39:

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Not sure what model of Roto-spader you have? May want to post so others can help.

I picked a model number just to see if Tines were still available for the Roto-spader. SearsPartsDirect.com had some tines available for model #917251880 Craftsman Sears roto-spader. You can go to the link below and type in your model# (make sure you select model# in drop down box to the right of where you put your mod#) to see what parts are still avaiable. SPD is on the high side $$$ roam the net with the tines part # and you should be able to find a better prices.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...00010015/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=917251880

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Very Nice Score!!!!!! :congrats: :congrats:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Awesome. I'm a tad jealous that you got all the stuff all at once ... I've spent four years getting to the same point (and I don't have a sickle bar ... yet.)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have the same tractor and tiller. The tines on my tiller were like yours. They came originally on this model with the tines welded onto the shaft. When the tines wore out you had to replace shaft and all. On mine when the tines wore out the PO cut them down to about 1 1\2" and welded more tines on. These were worn out also. Shoddy job at best. I put a message on the For Sale\WTB section of MTF for tines and shafts from a 38" tiller that had the plates for replaceable tines. Didn't think I would have much luck but a member responded and I bought a set that he had at a very fair price. The tillers, that I have seen with those types of tines, did not have the supported outer shaft. That made the outside shaft to short for my tiller. I carefully marked and measured where the plate placement was and ground it off the shaft. Also ground the tines off the original outer shafts of my tiller. Then I welded the plates onto my original outer shafts Everything works great and now I can easily replace the tines when needed. One thing to think about is the weight of this tiller when trying to lift it with a manual 3 point lift. There are lots of threads showing ways to modify or set up the lift to help with this task. I was lucky enough to have an electric lift to use with mine. If I didn't have that I probably wouldn't have bought the tiller. Good luck with this and if I can help let me let me know.
Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I saw the pic where the guy trimmed the running board (step) to fit the sicklebar. I have that same issue with the fit. I'm a bit against cutting up the tractor, but also not sure about modifying the mower. Kind of a moral dilemma I guess. But, the step is the easy route and somewhat easy to get a replacement for to put the rig back to factory. That's likely the road I'll take when time comes.

As for the tiller. edgesr I think you have the right idea, though I'll mod it a touch. I should be able to fabricate the square tine mount plates myself and I can then weld them onto my axle shafts. Then I could order bolt on replacement tines. The hard part will likely be getting the axles removed from the tiller.

I've got to get that JD170 in the background put back together first to mow the lawn. It had fender and dash support cancer from an old battery and poor factory paint adhesion. Did the first coat of primer on the fenders last night.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
That's quite a collection to start off with. Good deal.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nice find :) seems to be a few sickle bar mowers starting to show up.
I only wish one would show up around here :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Found me a spike harrow this weekend. Was wanting one to drag the horse arena and didn't want to have to build one.
The tag on it is 235-261392 (3 may be a 5). The first 3 of the tag are in black print, not stamped, and the tag was put on with double sided sticky tape not rivets.

Anyone have an idea of the year?

I ventured over to Stripmine and mine is the same as the 235-261320 unit they have a manual for.

Sorry about the pic, I'll have to take another and put it up tomorrow so its not mini.

·
Slowly turning green...
1,248 Posts
So now you have a rare sickle bar, somewhat rare discs and a rare 3 point spike tooth harrow? That's perfect. You can now use the frugal JD170 for mowing and the SS/15 for literally everything else. That Briggs & Stratton engine is great for dirt work because it doesn't use a lot of fuel and has excellent torque at low RPM's. That is a terrific start to what I hope will be a Suburban collection. Now you just need to get yourself a nice SS/18 or GT/18 with the BG/MS Onan and a 48" mowing deck and you'll be set!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So now you have a rare sickle bar, somewhat rare discs and a rare 3 point spike tooth harrow? That's perfect. You can now use the frugal JD170 for mowing and the SS/15 for literally everything else. That Briggs & Stratton engine is great for dirt work because it doesn't use a lot of fuel and has excellent torque at low RPM's. That is a terrific start to what I hope will be a Suburban collection. Now you just need to get yourself a nice SS/18 or GT/18 with the BG/MS Onan and a 48" mowing deck and you'll be set!
Opps! I went the wrong direction and forgot to snap a better pic of the harrow.
My JD170 was a rust bucket like all the others so I did a working rig restore job on it, but the deck spindles and PTO clutch are clinging to life by a thread, the tires are shot, and the left rear wheel has a death grip on the axle. So I see a used one on craigslist with a bad tranny, no forward gears. So I picked it up this last weekend for a parts rig, but its in better shape than mine. So last night I pulled the transaxle. I suspect its just shift forks. Revers is good, forward gear shifting is sloppy, it will go in to gear, but pops out under pressure. I'll tear it down and repair it.

So now I have 2 JD170's and the SS/15. I'll slum the JD's with the puny tranny for mowing while the Sears does all the real work around the place. The only thing I like about the JD's is the pressure lubed Kawasaki. Its a good reliable motor.

If I had a mower deck for the Sears the JD's would be for sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts