My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, nice to be here, would rather be riding -- my tractor. 3 weeks ago I bought and I'm having trouble with a 87 John Deere 130 lawn tractor. Battery is brand new and fully charged, starter is strong, I turn the key and get a click under the battery compartment. I tried jumping the seat safety with a piece of 14 gauge wire and unpluged and siliconed all the connections behind the battery as well as replaced the 20 amp fuse just in case. If anyone out there has any ideas I would love to hear them and thanks in advance
Russ:greendr:

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Russ , nice to have you aboard here with us and sorry to hear of the issues with your machine, hopefully someone in the know will be along with some suggestions, so keep checking in and enjoy the forums :).

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Needs a starter relay. The ignition switch builds up resistance over time and does not pass enough current to the solenoid. You can get them from the dealer with all the custom connectors and colored wires for $25 or make your own by following Brad's instructions here: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=129440

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for help gentlemen, I think I'll start with the starter relay and go from there. I'll post a follow up Mon. or Tues and let you know how it worked out, have a great weekend and thanks again:thanku:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had to do the starter relay on my 165 for the same reason. Once that was done it never clicked again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the culprit -- My local tractor supply didn't have the parts in stock so after a little tinkering tried tapping the starter with a hammer few times and presto problem solved. Must have had something holding her up that got knocked free. Thanks again to all for the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed for good, I found I had to keep tapping the starter while turning the key so I took the starter out took her apart and lo and behold -- a corner of one of the four magnets had snapped off and was jamming her up. Cleaned up the inside of the starter put her back together, so far so good 50 starts and no problems. Once again thanks to all for the help and hope your enjoying the weekend.
Russ:greendr:

·
Super Moderator
37,159 Posts
If those brushes are replaceable I'd suggest replacing the broken one. Once a magnet is broken it will continue to fracture. At least that's what I've seen with small electric motors.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I had mine crack to and have heard of it happening to others. when i did the bushings and brushes I cleaned the magnets real good and blew them out and cleamed again. After that I got some JB weld and glued up the cracks and around the sides to keep moister out . this has seamed to work out well , no failures as to now with over 100 starts. If its hard starting I don't keep cranking it so no over heat problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't see a way to remove the magnets, but then again I really didn't look. I just cleaned up the fractured area and didn't see any others. I did notice that where it broke it wasn't like a curb it fractured with the spin so I'm hoping it lasts. Worse comes to worse I replace it but if I get another 100 starts I'll take it.
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts