My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think it's a 67/68 Sub 12, model 917.25130. Missing the starter/generator, bracket and the cover. Pretty sure I've found the right wiring diagram and the parts pages for similar models. What I would like to know the best place to get the right manual for it and if any old starter/generator will work with this thing ?

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
I believe your tractor is a 1967 Suburban. Looks to be in nice shape. Couldn't find a link for the manual for your tractor, but you can pm GT_80 to see if he knows where to find one. If you need any help with the wiring, let me know - I just completely rewired mine. Congrats on the new tractor!

Doug

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
You have a '67. Ebay has scan manuals for $8 emailed to you for a '67-'68 Sears Suburban 10, which will be the same as a 12 mechanically. As for the starter Gen.. I'm 90% sure it's CW rotation. But I know it's opposite of what Cub Cadets used with the Kohlers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys ! Just found the stickies thread for GT_80's manuals, looks like there all pretty much the same except for minor changes.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
'67 had no hood ornament and no lip on the foot rests. visual design changes came for '69, but '69-'70 are mechanically the same. Decks changed in '71 but if you wanted the later deck for an earlier tractor, you just swap mounts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my hood is missing the hood ornament but there are holes for mounting it, just going by the decals on the hood they look like the 66's but it has the round fenders like the 67's had. I mess with old bicycles in my other hobby so I know what the catalog pics show aren't always how they hit the sales floor. And sometimes parts got used until they ran out, or old parts still in stock got put on when the current stuff ran out. Just playing with what I got. Looks as if it came with an "older" style deck, likely scavenged from another mower as the hardware is blue and it's a 36/38 ish inch deck. Didnt they usually come with a larger deck BITD ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it running earlier with a little starter fluid and a pull rope. Drive belt ate itself shortly after the victory lap though. Oh well, at least I know I can start getting some other stuff back in working order now. My 2 year old is really digging it too running or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do and thanks for the tip ! Really lik the trailer conversion idea you had cooked up in your blog too btw.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the original owners dug up the manuals for it so that solves that part of it !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can see this getting out of hand fast guys ... got a "parts" Super 12 for cheap, just a bad ignition and missing a fuel tank. Already had a spare tank laying around too before i got into this mess.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I can see this getting out of hand fast guys ... got a "parts" Super 12 for cheap, just a bad ignition and missing a fuel tank. Already had a spare tank laying around too before i got into this mess.
lol happens

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did get to wondering about the engine color, most I've seen pics of, the color matches the frames, Ive also read were a white engine could of meant a replacement at some point, any truth to that ?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've got the same '67 with the "leftover" blue decal hood. I've only seen 3 of these now, including yours and mine. Here's how mine is coming along, as well as a link to the video series I did on the restoration. It's STILL underway!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSaturnV#p/u/33/NSBSzP9Aio4

:p

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've actually been through all your suburban vids already ! Good stuff. And I suppose "leftover" would better describe the hood decal thing theyve got going on, the manual that came with it is dated 10/67. Yours has cleaned up really nice ! I can only hope I end up with something that looks that good. The more I stare at this parts tractor, the more I want to "Johnny Cash" my 67. I'm liking the later floor boards, dash and tool box from my parts tractor.

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
I did get to wondering about the engine color, most I've seen pics of, the color matches the frames, Ive also read were a white engine could of meant a replacement at some point, any truth to that ?
Yup,

White engines were offered as a replacement. GT_80 has links to a couple of websites with old sears advertisements and manuals. One of the advertisements I've seen had the replacement engines listed, as well as other things such as a headlight kit for the customs, electric start kit for the old customs with pull start engines. Also had prices and descriptions of other sears attachments.

Pretty neat stuff:thThumbsU

Doug

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's my parter I picked up for the starter :050: I'm really liking the dash and the woodgrain from the ss models now ! I like how they went from 6 speeds to 8 speeds by just changing the decals too !

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
personally, I would keep the 69 and take parts off the 67 and use it as a parts tractor. But thats just me lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've got the same '67 with the "leftover" blue decal hood. I've only seen 3 of these now, including yours and mine. Here's how mine is coming along, as well as a link to the video series I did on the restoration. It's STILL underway!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSaturnV#p/u/33/NSBSzP9Aio4

:p
I know this is an old thread but you can add one more to the '67s suburban 12's with a "leftover" hood. I just aquired one from my great aunt. It was my great uncles and has spent the last 15 years or so in a pine thicket. Decent shape considering. I'll most likely start a new thread soon. The model # is 917.25130 with a 1 stamped over the etched 0 at the end of the number. Strikes me as odd.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts