My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a year and a half ago I bought a Yanmar 155D with a finish mower on the rear. Worked well for me except I think a belly mower will be better for maneuverability so I found a Case 446. I'm hoping to get it set up with hydraulic PTO and do some weed spliting as well as mowing.
My first question for someone who knows is How do I install the brake drum that I got with the tractor but not on it. I already know that I need that brake since I have hilly property. I have a drum with a shaft and gear but it looks like I need bearings and maybe seals. Anyone car to steer me in th e right direction?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Greetings & welcome from southern Md . I have a 186d but have never been in any of the internals & haven't found a manual yet so I'm no help but someone will likely help you .

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike
By the way, do you know if the hydraulic pump on your tractor is sufficient to run a log splitter? I would like to get one going with either my Case 446 or the Yanmar 155D.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Thanks, Mike
By the way, do you know if the hydraulic pump on your tractor is sufficient to run a log splitter? I would like to get one going with either my Case 446 or the Yanmar 155D.
Again I'm no help , I have barely even used my Yanmar yet so I can't speak from personal experience but I think there are more then a few Yanmar owners on this site and I hope they will chime in .

Mike

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Mark, I'm not sure if this is a Yanmar topic- it kinda reads like his 446 is the one missing the brake drum. The Case tractors have a drum attached to a shaft sitting atop ( R. side) the transaxle with a brake band around it... Can't say I know what a Yanmar has.:dunno:

Welcome to MTF there Machinerynut :):howdy:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks, Mike
It would move the cylinder back and forth but in my opinion you don't have enough gpms or pressure to be effective with a splitter. May be wrong but I think your pump is in the 4gpm range and your pressure is set around 1400 psi. Don't go to the bank with either of those numbers. Here is an interesting chart from tractor supply showing pressure, cylinder size, cycle time, etc. Might help you make a decision. Go to the last page and I am relating this to your Yanmar. http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcssto...ges/products/ProdContentPDFs/2153304_Man1.pdf

·
4,007 Posts
The 446 ( and others ) have more than enough GPM ( about 9) to run a splitter effectively. They sold as three point attachments as well as tow- behinds. Now, it's just tow behinds....

12 ton with stock hydraulics.

Hope this helps your search :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't know the specifications for the YM155, but the YM1401D has a hydraulic pump with 2.75 GPM, and the Yanmar 140 and 147 have outputs of 3.4 GPM. I've been compiling a list of Yanmar tractor pumps and their outputs, and don't yet have the 155. If you look on your pump, it will have a data plate that should have a specification that looks something "4cc/rev" or whatever, as well as a pressure rating. From there we can determine what it is.

Can you check your tractor's pump, and I'll add it to the list?

I agree with Winston (as usual!) that it would run a splitter very slowly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for responses. I really had two questions because I have a Yanmar 155D with a category 1 3 pt hitch and I have a new (to me) Case 446 without 3 pt hitch or hydraulic PTO and it does not have the brake drum even though the braking mechanism is there to stop a drum if it wre there. I do have a shaft with brakedrum and gear to install
Question 1 is: How much of a job is it to put that brake drum shaft in there and what bearings, seals etc are required.
Question 2 was about using the Yanmar to run a log splitter and it sounds like the hydraulic system on that tractor is not sufficient to do the job so I wil have to get a hydraulic PTO onto the Case.

·
4,007 Posts
Okay, well that cleared it up a bit. ^^:fing32:

On the Case, you'll have to take the tractor apart 'till you can see the top inspection plate of the transaxle under the seat. Pop that plate off too, and you'll be looking at where the gear for the brake idler shaft drum mate to the big gear of the differential carrier.

There should be two plain bearings that your brake shaft rides in, clips that hold said shaft in place, and one outer seal.

Here is the manual for said rear end, it shows it fairly well.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=88804

You are looking at parts:

40- drum/ shaft assy.
39 clip
28 gear ( it runs on top of the main diff gear)
41 key ( to hold the gear in place on the shaft)
5, 6 bearings ( plain bearings, with an oil groove that goes down...)
4 outer oil seal

Look for supporter member bhildret " Salem Power Equipment" for parts if you need something parts wise - he's a Case dealer and very knowledgable :)

^^^There might be something I am missing, but this will get you on your way to having brakes :)
All in all, not that bad of a job to do, but some time wrenching will get you there:fing32:

PTO on a Case is a great thing BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the instructions and link to the service manual. I think I can handle the brake shaft installation with this information.
I guess I should think about installing a hydraulic PTO while I am working on the tractor. What is a good source for the hydraulic lines, control valve, etc? Are there any changes required to the hydraulic pump?
I have also read that one can make an improvement to the hydraulic motor that will better cotnrol downhill runaway. Is that complicated?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts