My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
W5CPT
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete novice when it comes to welding so I need some advice. Here is the situation: I have a Lincoln 225 AC welder and a friend gave me a sealed metal tube of welding rods with which to practice. They came from a local facility that throws away rods that are out of date, which they can not use on Government projects. The rods are 310-16, which when you look them up gives the following data.

E 310-16

Manufacturer Lincoln Electric Co -------Trade_name STAINWELD 310-16

This stick electrode is ideal for welding type 310 steels.May also be used to weld many dissimilar metal joints such as carbon steel or low alloy steel to stainless steel.Good all-position electrode,with exceptional vertical-up capabilities.Not recommended for vertical down. Stainweld 310-16 operates well on both DC+and AC. Exceptional vertical up welding capability.

TYPICAL APPLICATIONS A 25%chromium,20%nickel grade coated electrode,ideal for welding type 310 steels. May also be used to weld dissimilar metal joints such as carbon steel or low alloy steel to stainless steel.

So the question is, can I use these rods for "regular" welding or will they add a level of difficulty I really don't want just starting out?

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well sure you can use them on plain old steel,but they are a stainless rod,and won't run as good as a rod made for steel that is made to run on ac current[about all rods that I know of run better on dc even the ac rods,some you can't run worth a dang on ac,but some are made to be used on ac],plus you might have a cracking problem,plus,,,plus,,and not good rods for you to learn on.

So go to a welding supply place and tell them you want some 3/32 dia ac rods[probably something like 6011 or 6013],I don't use ac rods,probably lowes has them,don't get 7018 or 6010,they are a dc rod.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
yep 6011 is a good all round rod. 6013 is almost as good but can look prettier! T would get either to practice with.:fing32:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
As was said, 6011 or 6013 is a good choice for an all position rod. They'll give you a bit more spatter but noting too serious. As a bit of side info you can use the 6011's to cut as well, not too pretty but it'll get you out of a bind.
A good rod if you can position whatever you're welding in the flat position is a 7024. It's no good for filling gaps as it's not a fast freeze rod if you have a bad fit up but for flat filletts its great.
Not to argue rrg but you can get 7018's that are designed for ac. They have a slightly different flux that keeps the arc from extinguishing, they don't work too bad neither.....Mike

·
Banned
297 Posts
Mike,I know they make 7018ac but they don't run as good on ac as dc,period.

And,course you knowed that they are called a low hydrogen rod which needs to be kept in a rod oven,course you knowed if not kept in a rod oven they are not a lo/hi any mores,and might be not worth using if they absorb to much moisture in coating.
And I'm sure you also knew that a 60 rod will beat any steel he will be welding,,,well,99 percent chance anyways it will.[if not he can always use some of those stainless rods he's got,,that was a joke...]

And you also knew that a 7018 is hard to restart,they fingernail,and you can't put an open root in with them unless your real lucky,and won't work very good at all downhill.

Than you know he is a beginner,who doesn't need to worry about all the above.:trink40:

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I've welded most of my life... For some reason I found that rods bought in a card board box works much better than the one in tin....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts