My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Paul i am a first tiem home owner and have been using a push mower to cut about an acre of yard. Well i can not take it anymore so i am looking for a riding mower. A local shop has a Simplicity 4212 Hydro that is very very clean. I am new to tractors so like anything else i am doing my research, is this kind of tractor worth a 600 dollar asking price? it seems pertty high for an older tractor. plus there is no bagger or anything else? but the tractor like i said is super clean. give me some help guys thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
$600 does sound pretty pricey for that tractor, but if it has light use to match its appearance, it might be ok. A few questions will help determining the proper selection of a tractor that you will be satisfied with.

How much area do you have to mow and how many "tight" areas are in it.
What features are you looking for - you mentioned a bagger - is it a deal breaker?
What other tasks would you like to do in the future with your tractor?
Snowblowing
Snow pushing
Roto Tiller

You can find some good package deals on some older full size garden tractors with attachments for about the same money, but if your main concern is just replacing your push mower with a rider and its main use is to keep a pristine lawn, then that changes what you need to be looking for.

Ask the dealer for the previous owners name and contact them about the history of the tractor. Why did they trade? Did they have any problems with it? What did they like and dislike about it?

If it is sound mechanically and will fit your needs, even though $600 sounds high, it is still a lot cheaper than a new one and should serve your needs.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:MTF_wel2: I would take simplelife's advise and check with the previous owner. From what little I have checked out, sounds a little high on the price, but if it is in really good shape, it sure would beat push mowing your acre!:goodl:

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I personally would invest in a bolens tractor, not the so called Bolens of todays quality but a nice one from the 60's-70's. :trink40:
I would say 600 is a little much, for that type you described...... but If you find a older bolens in working condition with a deck thats what I would do, good luck on your tractor search.:goodl:
-Brian

·
Registered
146 Posts
My mother has a 4212h looks just like redbandit12"s bagger and all. She likes it so much She just spent $600 at the dealer to fix the engine and the tranny. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:MTF_wel: and enjoy the forum. slkpk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just spent 2 grand on a new tractor and $600 to fix a 22 yr old one. They are parked one behind the other in the garage. The one I use is parked closest to the door. That would be the older one. Uses more gas, but has a better riding position and cuts just as good. Just be prepared to spend some money once in awhile to keep her runnin!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts