My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I've had a Simplicity mower for about 8 years. Started with a Broadmore, but my hilly yard killed the transmission. Wound up trading it in on a Conquest, because it seemed like the best idea at the time. I've had it for about 6 years. It's been great 'til this year. Now it's started having various intermittent problems. The current issue is that the engine shuts down every time I engage the blade. Searched for answers everywhere I could think of, including my repair manual. Finally found a wiring diagram, but now I need some help with diagnosing the problem...

·
Super Moderator
32,637 Posts
This is one of those general responses because I've never had a Simplicity. But your problem sounds like a seat safety switch is either bad or not connected. I will let the guys that have knowledge on your brand answer the rest of this.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Agreed on the seat switch. You can take it out of the seat and check it, or check it with a meter.
If you could post the wiring diagram for the Conquest (or the link to it) I'd sure appreciate it. I haven't been able to find one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Wiring diagram for Simplicity Conquest

I found the diagram at PartsTree.com. I just entered the brand name and the model number and opened their link to "Electrical Group". The diagram comes up, along with a parts list. Here's the path:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=simplicity&mn=1694013+-+Conquest,+18HP+Hydro&dn=19401

I tried to attach, the picture of the diagram. Not sure if it worked.

Also, here's a little more information about my problem...

First, I want to be clear that I'm not asking for advice regarding disabling safety switches / mechanisms. And, I'm not suggesting that anyone should disable safety devices. (Trying to following the forum rules and still give accurate information.)

Having said that, I did disable the under seat safety switch and the break switch. The seat switch always acts like it does when I'm sitting on the seat. I may just be showing my ignorance, but I thought the seat switch would shut just down the engine if it wasn't properly engaged.

I can start and drive the mower - even get off the seat without the break on - and the engine will continue to run. The only time the engine shuts down is when I engage the PTO switch to get power to the blade. (I was thinking maybe the PTO switch might be bad.)

I'll check continuity on the seat switch and the break switch and give you an update.

I appreciate your help.

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Thanks for the diagram!

Now, on my Conquest, which is 4 years old -

1) if you get off the seat with the brake off, it kills the engine.

2) if you get off the seat, brake on or off, and the PTO is on, it kills the engine.

3) pulling the connector off the seat switch should kill the engine if the brake is off, or the PTO on. There is an "anti-defeat" feature built in so one can't just pull the connector off the switch and defeat its function.

I would love to have a wiring diagram for a Conquest, but don't have one, so it seems to me that your seat switch or wiring may be bad.

The PTO switch has 2 sections. One enables the starter when the PTO is off only. That prevents starting with the PTO on, obviously. The other section of the switch operates the PTO itself. From your description, I'd say the PTO switch is working properly.

I don't think the brake switch has anything to do with the PTO.

You have some strange symptoms, for sure. Has any electrical work been done on this machine lately? It's starting to seem to me that there is a wiring problem because:

The seat switch is not killing the engine when it should.
The PTO is killing the engine when it shouldn't - assuming that the engine isn't just stalling with the load.
The PTO must somehow connect to the seat switch, so that the seat switch can kill the engine if the PTO is on.

I've burned out a few gray cells on this, can't come to a real conclusion yet. A wiring diagram would lay it all out for me - I'm going to try to find a schematic.

Edit: I gotta correct myself. I hiked out and had a look at my Conquest. It has 6 wires going to the PTO switch, so there must be another set of contacts in it, which might allow for the shutdown function going to the seat switch.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I found a wiring diagram, and for the life of me can't see what would cause your problem. The PTO switch does have 3 sections, but I can't see where a bad switch would kill the engine with someone in the seat. The two switches are in series.
I suggest that you find out why the seat switch doesn't kill the engine, and that may lead you to your PTO problem. At the least, it will make your machine safer to operate. There is a 15 pin harness plug in there, make sure it's tight together.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
PTO on kills the engine...can't get much mowing done like that! :sad_02:

Hope you have found the problem, but if not, what is your model number? (like 169xxxx).
The Simplicity site has some diagrams, but I think since Briggs took over there are fewer diagrams available. Maybe they want us to buy the Service Manuals?

Anyway, looking at a 1694014 wiring diagram (covers a few others, too), the PTO circuit is pretty straight forward. They did not even put an interlock module on that model from what I can see. You can get that diagram by going to the Simplicity site http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/index.cfm?rd=1 and entering 1694014.

If you follow the M wire off the ignition sw., it goes to the PTO sw. and is passed thru if the PTO is on. It then goes to harness plug #8 which goes to the seat sw. and from there to ground if nobody is seated...engine killed! That is the only way I see that the engine will get killed from the PTO being on.
The wire from harness plug #8 also goes to the brake sw. and if the brake is not on AND the seat is not occupied, the ground is applied to harness plug #11 which is the mag kill circuit...engine killed!

The thing to keep in mind is that the kill ground should ONLY be coming from the "seat not occupied" condition. If you do not find a ground coming out of the seat sw. (and going to harness plug #8), then sombody else in your system has butted in with a ground when they shouldn't.

Of course, if your model has different wiring than the 1694014, then all bets are off! :fing32:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Problem solved for the new guy needin' help

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered suggestions. I wouldn't have been able to track down the problem without you.

I didn't realize that all the safety switches were interconnected. It makes sense now that I've read all your suggestions.

The problem turned out to be the seat switch after all. The switch wasn't closing completely, even with it installed correctly and with me sitting on the seat. I removed the seat and break switches from their mounts, so that I could manually hold them both closed. After the engine started, I released the break switch and continued to hold the seat switch closed and engaged the blade. The engine kept running with the blade engaged! :thThumbsU

Now I'll have to figure out why the seat switch isn't closing properly when I'm sitting on the seat. (I know it's not 'cause I've lost weight!) May need to just replace the switch.

Again, thank you all. You've been extremely responsive and helpful - saved me money and anguish. You're good people.:thanku:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Glad you got it!

This fact might help you understand it a bit better:
Just to be nit-picky - when you sit on the seat, the switch actually opens. The switch will ground the kill wire from the magneto to stop the engine. When you sit, the switch opens, so that when the PTO is on, the engine is allowed to keep running.
Perhaps the area of the seat that hits the switch is worn with use and time.

Thanks for getting back to us! It's always nice to get the end of the story.

And, I gained something, too, since I found a schematic for my Conquest. It doesn't show the RMO circuit, but the rest of it's there. That's what I call a win-win!

Yes, this is a great place to spend some time every day. :fing32:

·
10K and Climbin!
12,301 Posts
Re: Problem solved for the new guy needin' help

I didn't realize that all the safety switches were interconnected. It makes sense now that I've read all your suggestions.

Now I'll have to figure out why the seat switch isn't closing properly when I'm sitting on the seat.
I recommend eating alot of burgers and fries and ice cream and such to gravitationally enhance your frame so it activates your seat switch better!! ;-] Sorry-- Couldn't resist! :fing20::Stop::sorry1:

:goodl:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Now I remember why I went with a 1980 model tractor. No seat or brake or any other sensor. Just is it out of gear and is the pto off to start the tractor. And you guys won't believe this I still have all my fingers and toes lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts