My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally got a few pics of my newest toy. I know very little about jd tractors only that my 116 is getting a little tired and needs a break and i had the chance to buy this one from a guy at work. It is a 300 series with a 48" deck and also a 42" blower ti also came with chains a weight box and also a really nice jd service manual. It runs well just a little rough on start up and smooths out quickly. i think it could use a carb kit or maybe some seafoam. I paid $600 dollars for all of it. He was asking more but was really needing cash so i Offered 600 and he took it. Not sure if i did well or not but to me it seems to be worth it.

the serial number from the tractor is as follows: c300e 060108m

It is a kolher engine but the tag is a mess and i cant decipher it so i am not sure what it is.

Thanks Krank

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
You did very well from the looks of it. I would try the SeaFoam first. slkpk

·
Super Moderator
35,822 Posts
That's a great deal as your snowblower looks in great condition and would go for $350 - $500 by itself!

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. i thought i did okay.. can anyone tell me about what year it is orwhat motor it is. I have read something about a first and second production. Is there one that is better then the other one and how do i find out which i have?

Thanks Krank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay i just read the tech binder that came with it. i was told that it was bought new with the tractor when the original owner purchased the tractor. any way it says it is the kohler K341AQS.
I was also reading that the 300series tractor was equipped with 2 sets of outlets up front except tractors from serial number 55001-70000 which mine is so it only has one set. What is the benefit of 2 ? i understand that on set could be used to lift the blower but what would the other set be used for. The manual states that there is a kit to add the second set.

any idea on what year this thing might be?

is there anything i should look for that maybe a weak point on these tractors?

sorry one more question, is there no oil filter on this motor? I list one of the tranny but nothing for the motor. I thought this would have one.

Thanks For the Help..

Krank

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
any idea on what year this thing might be?
Here is the information about the Tractor c300e060108m

Model: 300
Typecode: C300E
Serial Number: 60108
Model Year: 1976
Engine Model and Size: K341 Kohler 16HP
Lift Type: Hydraulic 2 Lever
Paint: Green
Manufactured Location: Horicon, WI

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Two hyd. coupling on the front are used for the 54in blade. One side is the lift/float lever the other two coupling are used for the angle of the blade. Now for your snowblower you only need the one side just to lift it, you cant angle the snowblade. There is no oil filter for the motor. I have a 300 and its been a really good tracor. Those 16HP Kolher motors are just about bullet proof. Get yourself a set of chains for the back tires and put that blower to work later on this winter. As for "weak" points ... Like I said earlier they are really tough machines. congrats on your new ride......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone, makes sense for the tilt on the blade. never thought of that duh...

thanks kansas john, it came with chains and a weight box so i should be ready to go.. :)

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I just recently picked up a 300 my self at a auction.Mine is a 1976 and I gave $600 for just the tractor without the mower deck.All attachment including the deck was auctioned seperatly.But I got the 4way blade for $90.00 and the 3 point hitch for $175.00 and the Ag Super lugs with rims I had to go to $170.00 so I have $1035.00 as it sits plus a set of turf tires on rims.

Mine starts and shakes a bit then is smooth as well.I think its just the nature of the 300.

How is your steering gear?Mine has some play and steers harder then it should.I lubed everything up and it is now better then it was.I think I might rebuild the steering gear colume this winter.I really like the 3 point hitch and it can be removed in just a few minutes.That is what I like about the 300 over my 318.I could not remove the 3 point on it when ever I wanted.Plus the rear hydraulic outlets are a real plus.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jd, that looks like a sweet tractor. wish i had a blade for mine. The steering isnt too bad maybe a little harder then i think it should be. I think i am going to have to get me some of those ag tires too...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts