My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just took delivery of my first tractor, a Craftsman DYT4000, model 917.273634. 18.5 B&S, 42" deck, 6 speed. Seems like a good machine and I really like that it has the electric PTO.

Right now it starts kinda slow, but as soon as I put it in gear, it sputters out. Kinda late in the season to be messing with it, so I will probably put it away for the winter and let my small engine guy look at it in the spring. WHat do you guys think it might be? Carb?

Anyway, glad to be here!

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
What do you mean by "it starts kinda slow"?
Slow cranking or ???
IF it cranks slow, that's an indication the valves might need adjustment (compression release issue) or your battery/connections are bad/weak.

"Sputtering out" indicates a fuel delivery problem.
Likely the Main Jet is somewhat clogged, but a weak fuel pump or restricted fuel filter could also cause these symptoms.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips Bill.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Got any gas in it? Or is there a hidden fuel inline on/off valve someplace?
Don't laugh. Guy next door took delivery of a brandie new (2011) snow blower. Dealer started it up, ran nicely, shut it off. After the dealer left, the new owner started it up, and it dies. I walk over, he starts to complain about the new machine, not running, etc. He demonstrates. I say, Harry, did you turn the fuel on? No, not the throttle. The fuel line valve.
Blower runs very nice now that he's found the fuel valve. Will put a tag on it so the wife can find it, too. He now needs to get a gas can.
Must be something simple. And don't let the gas sit in it over the winter, not being used.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did think of that, and put more gas in it, but same thing. What is a good way to get the gas out of the tank?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Turkey baister. Just don't re-use it to baist the Thanksgiving turkey, afterwards.

On the starting, do you have a fully charged battery? I park my machines in the sun, out of the wind. I like to repair them in the sun, also. Also in the warmer months, but will be working on one or two this coming weekend when temps are under 60 (hopefully).
Once started, let it warm up for abit, adjusting the hand choke for proper response. Then engage letting the clutch out slowly. No 'jack rabbit' starts needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts