My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to this forum and I know that it is customary to post a pic....
jd318.JPG

We "inherited" the 318 from a family member who is no longer able to care for their property. The tractor came from Ohio and included a 50inch mower deck and a snow blower attachment (which we dont need in GA). The snow blower was sold last fall.

Currently working on the front PTO clutch, PO had disconnected the switch and time delay box and ran a jumper wire straight from the cluch coil to the battery with an aligator clip for on/off. Clutch stopped working a week ago and will have to trouble shoot the system.

Ready to learn,

Bill

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
:MTF_wel: Glad to have you here. First thing to check with the PTO clutch is it getting power? and is there continuity thru the coil? Then check the air gap between the clutch faces, should be around .018" and can be adjusted with the spring loaded screws located around the clutch. You will need to recheck each screw as you "dial it in" because adjusting one affects the settings at the others.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
:MTF_wel: Bill. Looks like a real nice 318 you have there :fing32:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome to the forum, this place and those tractors are addicting. Indeed it does look like a nice machine and as you'll see they are loaded with potential.

As for troubleshooting the PTO the first place I'd start is with the air gap. Not knowing any better the previous owner of my 318 would engage the PTO by thumping the assembly with the handle of a hammer. After I adjusted the air gap it worked fine with the switch. On yours I'd get it working with the alligator clip then work towards as it should be with the dash switch.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
32,682 Posts
Welcom to the forum! You have inherited the "holy grail" of yard tractors! Yes guys I keep promoting this so resale values go up!!!! As the others have said get your PTO working and then I would look on eBay or CL for a Time Delay Module. Much cheaper than JD wants for them! Then you should be able to simply test the PTO switch with an Ohm meter to see if it still works properly. I would try to get one of the Technical Manuals from either JD (on disk, paper is too expensive) or also on eBay at around $40 - $50. This is a 30+ year old machine, chances are you'll be doing some more work on it. Again, welcome aboard!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts