My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a 8122 yesterday with kohler motor. i got it with a 40" mower deck (wish it was the 50), the 48" blade and a yard trailer. seems to run excellent! bought from a guy that said it came with the house and he gave me a folder of records and even sales receipt with it. man bought it in '82 and have all maintenance records with it. rebuilt motor in '03. the man i bought it from didnt use it so you can really call it a one owner. the mower deck needs some work. all belts and pulleys good but needs blades very badly and some metal work on left side where it has some metal missing and rust issue and sprays clippings out that side too. the deck is really the only thing that needs work. lights work, oil looked brand new, tractor like tires on rear not turf tires. will try to figure out getting pics on here

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Welcome, looks like a nice machine and accessories.

Decks are out there, you may be able to find a 50" deck rather than put a whole lot of work/money into that 40".

Many of the parts are the same, so your 40" could be a parts source.

If you are mainly cutting grass, you may want to find some turf tires for the rear. Unless you have bad hills, Turf tires are much better for mowing, and turf tires with chains are generally better in snow than those garden lugs.

Your cart looks to be an Ohio Steel cart like mine. They are a little bigger than the GRAVELY carts were, and mine has served well.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
A 12 horse Kohler should have been easy on the transmission, and an easy engine to rebuild or replace.

Cute the way the previous owner mounted one Ag tire forward and the other backward, but what a job to turn one around.

I agree with Sheldon, look for a 50" replacement deck rather than trying to repair the rusted out 40"; you will not regret the investment.

That seat looks great, I wonder if it was replaced?

Spend a little time and jack up that front axle, look underneath for all the grease fittings and start pumping some grease in them, that rack and pinion steering also.

Roger,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know bout the seat being replaced or not. some of the things done in the maintenance receipts are engine rebuild, trans gasket and axle seals, muffler, point set?, clutch plate and ring, clutch dice? and clutch drive, bearings, and your usual filters, fluids, spark plugs and blade sharpenings

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Would have been great to see something about PTO rebuild/replacement, but a 12 horse and 40" mower should have be easy on the PTO assembly.

The point set is just a set of ignition points for a Kohler engine. Clutch parts were probably F/R parts. Axle oil seals, great.

Roger,

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Welcome to the forum CH. Nice to have another neighbor and fellow Gravely enthusiast sign up.

Your tractor looks good, especially with the work that's been done to it. You have a dependable tractor that you can count on.

I have to agree with the others: replace the deck or just the shell. Either way, trying to fix what's there is probably more of an exercise in futility than anything else. The blade and cart, like Marc said, look new and hardly used.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
106 Posts
+1 on adding a new deck (50"). I have two for my 816S - that way I have one ready to go when it is time to change the blades out. I keep one ready with sharpened blades, properly adjusted belt, and all grease up so when it is time to change blades I just drive off the old deck and up on the new one and repeat the process as necessary. Keeping the blades sharp is a big plus here in Florida with a Bahia lawn, I usually switch the blades out every other cut in the height of our growing season, the tractor does not have to work as hard and it cuts down on mowing time on 7 acres. Also you have no down time when it comes to changing the belt and idler pulleys with two separate decks.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Nice. I also just picked up an 8122 a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i haven't messed with it much. i need to mow now so i'd really like to do some quick welding with the deck just some metal over the hole for the suction or whatever of the deck... i know the blades are shot though. i havent taken them off yet does anyone know what size they are off hand? and i know when you go buy blades they have them by brand, can i just go get some that are the same size? we dont get much snow here(not enough to have to clean up) i was hoping the blade would be good on my gravel drive if i got small amounts of gravel here and there. and **** i didnt know how heavy that thing was just by itself. i havent messed with taking the deck off either, doesn't seem to hard

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
i haven't messed with it much. i need to mow now so i'd really like to do some quick welding with the deck just some metal over the hole for the suction or whatever of the deck... i know the blades are shot though. i havent taken them off yet does anyone know what size they are off hand? and i know when you go buy blades they have them by brand, can i just go get some that are the same size? we dont get much snow here(not enough to have to clean up) i was hoping the blade would be good on my gravel drive if i got small amounts of gravel here and there. and **** i didnt know how heavy that thing was just by itself. i havent messed with taking the deck off either, doesn't seem to hard
The deck weighs about 200 pounds... I'm only 125 myself, and I can wrassle it around for a while, but I'm sure I couldn't do it all day. The great thing about these decks is that you can drive the tractor right over them to mount/dismount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts