My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a Gravely 8183-T last fall. I don't think it has been maintained very well and I already had to replace the fuel filter. I haven't found a service manual yet and I'm a weekend mechanic with minimal experience. This is going to be a challenge but I really like the tractor.

Dan

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Welcome to the forum!

You can't go wrong with Oldgravelys.net and this forum. We will help you in any way we can. All you have to do is ask.

Don't forget lots of pictures. We are very much a graphically oriented bunch here.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome Dan and YOU will own more than one gravely in time. You may end up with more than ten in no time flat.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Welcome! Once you own one Gravely.. more will come and you will probably feel compelled to buy them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcomes. I visited before but joined now that I have a serious issue. I broke the left rear axle. I went downhill in neutral and the brakes were not enough to stop me so I turned left at the bottom and the left wheel was at an awful angle. The axle sheared off at the wheel hub. I have a Gravely dealer nearby but would like to check prices on an axle first. Then I have to see if I dare attempt the replacement myself.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes. I visited before but joined now that I have a serious issue. I broke the left rear axle. I went downhill in neutral and the brakes were not enough to stop me so I turned left at the bottom and the left wheel was at an awful angle. The axle sheared off at the wheel hub. I have a Gravely dealer nearby but would like to check prices on an axle first. Then I have to see if I dare attempt the replacement myself.
Dan, forgot to mention,:MTF_wel:. Now to the issue at hand. Replacing the axle shaft is an indepth job. It definitely requires transmission disassembly. Possibly engine removal as well. But, using Gravely's shop and service manuals to do the job will definitely make it easier without any unnecessary steps.

Ebay is usually a decent source for Gravely parts. Upon checking, I ran across this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAVELY-axle-40...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5567698899876969294

Not the best but may be usable. If you are considering bidding on it, I would ask questions before doing so. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts

Where are you at in Tenn
I am in south east Tenn
I may be able to help If you are close
Thanks Bruce g
423 716 4611

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am in East TN, Talbott, Hamblen County, 45 mins east of Knoxville.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I am 70 miles south of Knoxville.
on I 75 exit 33
I guess it would be about 100 miles to you from me.

Back to your tractor
There are a lot ways people would approach your problem.
In my shop I would
Leave the mower and Engine on the tractor .
Jack tractor up under the trans put blocks on deck between the deck and foot rest both sides.
Take the right wheel Hub and bearing housing off
Take the linkages off the right side.
The brake drum also.
Make two bolts with out heads for guide pins
remove two bolts one on either side and screw the two guides pins into place.
Now you can take the rest of the bolts out the cap.
Now be careful to pry slowly open push the brake shaft back into the tran.
Take off the cap
Now you can slide the axle assy out since the left axle is broken off.
If it was not broken you would have to take the wheel hub and the bearing off.
This would be best do this to put it back together.
It is always wise to ck under all the gears and make sure nothing has fallen out.
Double ck each shaft with a parts brake down and make sure all the shim bearing
are on each.
This is a quick summary I know I missed some stuff
good luck.
Bruce g
423 716 4611:trink39:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts