My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've reposted this thread on suggestion of some forum members

As I mentioned, I've have been offered to buy a Gravely C12 with three different decks and a snow shield, see some pictures below. However, without a sulky.

Everything seems ok with the exception that there seems to be a problem with the coupling between the cutter deck and the motor. The knife stops under load but the motor continues. Any idea what that could be?

I live in Germany where Gravelys are not very common, i.e. spare parts must probably be ordered directly from the US. I will, however, use the machine in Sweden where Belos is not so unusual (Belos is generally based on Gravely but have been slightly modified, e.g. motors and gear boxes have changed but the attachments should fit.

Is this a good machine and is there anything else to look at. I offered the seller 400 EUR (about 450 USD), is this a good price? By the way, he just accepted it.

Cheers
Tommy

PS, on the meantime I've bought the tractor. Price was good I think do it should leave some space for repairs.

Apart from being exotic in Germany another obstacle could be the non metric system you use, e.g. bolts and bolt threads are different and not so easy too find in Europe. Also tools are different due to this.

Some countries in Europe used Imperial units and great Britain still does but to a limited extend but the rest of Europe changed to the simpler metric system maybe 50 years ago. normally I'm working in space engineering and misunderstanding between the systems have even resulted in loss of satellites, see for example Mars Probe Lost Due to Simple Math Error where spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched. Luckily a Gravely is not that complex.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Welcome! It's great to see that G.A.S. is an international phenomenon :)

On any gravely walker, if you have a situation where the attachment wedges up, but the rest of the drivetrain works, especially fwd/reverse, the issue has to be in the attachment clutch.

A stock C12 has the old-style four-bolt attachment mount, but the pic of the clamshell deck looks like it's set up for a quick-hitch. If it's the latter, I'm pretty sure the clutch is internal to the QH adapter. (All of my gravely gear is older, so not positive)

If you get a close-up of where/how the attachments bolt to the nose of the tractor, we'll be able to tell more.

If it's the old-style clutch, adjustment is pretty easy, just tighten the clutch bolts. If it's a newer style QH, I'll defer to other members here who know that system better.

Price is all over the place. Given the rarity of those machines in Germany, that may well be the right price for a running machine with attachments.

Is it a good machine? I think so :) I bet you won't find anybody here disagreeing. The gravely transmission is very robust, and the cast iron Kohlers are pretty bulletproof.

Good luck, and keep those cards and letters coming!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Guten Tag! They are an excellent machine! Hopefully you can get it operating correctly without too much problem and cost!
One thing to be mindful of when changing of putting a new attachment on- make sure the pto clutch is in neutral (retracted). Otherwise you can damage the clutch or drive.
Good luck! If you need help finding parts or possibly we can get them to you as cheaply as possible I'm sure others will help.

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Ja, Guten Tag, und willkommen! Gravelys are great tractors. They are very well built, versatile, and will run forever with normal maintenance.

Regarding attachment slippage, while the round 30 in. mower is direct drive, the other two mowers also have drive belts. If either of those decks are the one that stops turning you may also want to check to see if the drive belt is loose, and needs to be tightened. It could still be that the attachment clutch needs to be adjusted, as jrd said.

400 EUR sounds like a good (fair) price for the tractor, and attachments too. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I find a
- user manual,
- maintenance manual,
- parts list, and
- any other useful information
for this machine?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Metric bolts won't work of course, but you will find some of the metric tools you have will work.

5/16 head bolt-8mm is the same

I never found anything to fit a 3/8 headed bolt in metric

7/16 head bolt, 11mm fits good.

1/2 headed bolt. 13mm works, just ever so slightly loose.

9/16 head bolt. 14mm barely fits, it's tight. Most of the time it works, once in awhile not.

5/8 head bolt. 15mm is tight, 16mm may work, can't remember.

11/16 head bolt. Nothing really works well for this either.

3/4 head bolt. 19mm wrench is almost exactly the same. I use a 19mm to take my attachments off all the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, the Gravely my second walk behind tractor. I also have an Agria 1700 from 1956, see picture. On the picture, you also send the mower deck mounted (about 35").

It was a rusty lump of metal when I got it (for about 50$) but it is built in a way that with 1mm rust (1/256") there is still so least 5mm left.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
Your Agria looks like a very well built tractor. The mower deck looks very well built too. Is the engine gas, or diesel?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's gas, actually a two stroke engine as it is also used on steep hill sides. The weight of the tractor and the mower is about 200kg (440 pound).

Most of the "housing" is made in cast iron. I also use additional weights in the wheels (30 kg per wheel) to improve traction as is quite hilly here in the Gothenburg area. It's not absolutely necessary for the mower but mandatory when using the trailer.

The Gravely will be used in southern Sweden where we also have a summer house ( is actually too much but my wife inherited it so we kept it). There it is much flatter but also larger, about 6 acres.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up my Gravely last weekend. Every appears to be on good shape, pictures will follow.

We had to start the motor with a separate battery as the one on the machine is very well.

To me, it looks like a normal car battery (lead type, 12V, 45Ah). In the manual, it is written that a battery SAE Type 17MI, 42 Amp-h should be used. I'm not familiar with this standard but I assume it's just a standard car battery. Is this correct?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm trying to identify the built year of my Gravely. Somewhere I saw a document where you could do this based on the serial number but cannot find this manual anymore. Does anybody know where to find it?

On the motor I find the following
Model No.: K301S
Spec. No. 47601d
Serial No. 7214280

On the Gravely itself, I cannot find a number but according to the manual, it should located on the left size of the advance casting. I'm not sure where this is because in the red-marked area in the picture below, I cannot find a number.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
There's a sort of rib on the casting, forward of the handlebar attachment point. The S/N plate should be just below that rib.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I found two markings.

10-628P1
JH58

Does this tell me the year of built?

Not sure.

Gravely S/Ns follow a pattern. You can see a chart at Gravely Tractors - Links - StevenChalmers.com

The P1 is not part of the S/N, though I'm told that sometimes that got appended to it.

10-628 doesn't make sense. But if that hyphen were a digit, it would; that would be 1974, which would make sense for a C12

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I will check more carefully when I get the Gravely home and have cleaned it. Currently, I've "parked" the Gravely at my neighbor until I get a new battery (should get it tomorrow).

If I understand the motor marking correct (see a previous post from me), it's from 1975 so 1974 could be correct.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts