My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My New FORD 1700 with a WOODS RM306; 25hp, 2wd, 3pt hitch, 540rpm PTO, diesel for $3,800!!!
Pics;
3pt and PTO

Only 1,204.6 when I got it, yesterday...

Front

Side

Side

Controls

Mower

A little rust through.

Mower

I added a couple hours on it yesterday and today, not even 15min after I got it home I was out mowing the pasture with my pap. :thanku: and tell me what you think!

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot, it has 12speeds forward, and 4 reverse, the stack fell off earlier but I pulled out my blacksmithing skills and fixed it right up! It hardly needs to warm up with the glo-plugs and is in great running condition, the mower works well, and the tractor was restored 3yrs ago, just needs some paint touch ups, and has a Home Made weight on the front that came with it, the PO had the original bumper and pulled the plastic caps off, drilled some holes and filled it with Iron plate and bolted them tight in, but forgot to replace the caps...

·
Wheel Horse
461 Posts
I think it loos very nice. Wouldn't mine having it myself. Want to let me "borrow" it sometime? But seriuosly, I like it. Looks real good taken care of. Keep maintenance up and keep her nice and clean and you will have a tractor for your grandkids one day. Fords are good tractors.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Grand Kids can wait, I'm 13 and its still my turn, It runs very well, and I am fixing up the 2 bottom plow to use with it, my pap and I do everything in "Tandem" now with it and his JD 4320.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Good looking tractor, those Woods mowers are nice cutting machines. You got a good deal. You could weld a plate over the rust holes in the deck if you want.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I am It is Fair week here, so I can't really do anything till the week after next, I was going to do that and buy a ford blue touch up pen, so I can fix the paint!

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
Congratulations. $3800.00 with the Woods rotary mower is a good deal.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! It Mows Like A Dream!

·
Wheel Horse
461 Posts
Yep you did real good their. Did you get a tandem plow in the deal too or just one on the farm? I really like that tractor. That mower is a good deal too. But since all the rust is on their, it might not last long. I would do a "poor mans'' restoration on it. You know take everything off, grease it, wash it, sand all the rust down and throw some welds on there and just kind of paint it. Wouldn't cost much. Maybe $40 for the paint. Anyways good deal. I like it!

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turfs are doing good, i like them better on the blacktop, I found it by the barn a good many years ago, I dont slip at all with the turfs and it dosent have power steering, but when you turn the wheel it hisses and moves really easily, even when you arent moving, the tractor just needs to be on.

·
MTF MEMBER
185 Posts
ya the old fords are good tractors i have two ford 1900's one on ag's and one on turfs now as for as you pulling a two bottom plow with your ford 1700 i don't think your tractor will have the guts to do it even if you put Ag tires on it because my ford 1900 has a hard time pulling a single furrow 14'' bottom plow at a decent speed and even then traction is sometimes an issue and i put a duel on the one side to help plus the tires are loaded so unless you have some real sandy ground i don't think you will be going to far once you sink that plow into the ground
O almost forgot have fun with your new toy :thThumbsU

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
90% of science is trial and error, I think she'll do fine. But I'll keep ya posted, just gotta assemble it, and find some place to dig up!

·
MTF MEMBER
185 Posts
just took another look at your pictures your tractor dose have power steering by the looks of it ,it has the heaver steering arms the ones without power steering have lighter steering arms

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll look!

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my pap says it is not, because there are no hydroulic cylinders going to the wheels, but I dont believe the hydroulics go there, arent they in where the rod connects to the steering wheel? so I'm not sure, I think it is of some kind of friction reducer for the steering mechonism. Please help me with this one?

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pap says it dont, maby a friction reducer?

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My paps a John Junkie...

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
If it steers easier standing still with the engine running than when it's not running, then you have some sort of power steering. My '73 Ford 4000 has power steering with no external hydraulic cylinders. On mine, everything is internal to the steering box except the power steering pump, just like on a car. Some newer tractors use the main hydraulic pump to power the power steering too, so yours could have no external signs of power steering except some extra hydraulic lines going to the steering box.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts