My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my tree work consists of processing downed trees and occasionally I need to fell a tree. I have gotten by with the tractors and chains over the years, but I have a few dead trees that need to be pulled opposite of the lean. This need prompted me to order another winch/ tree saver strap, 2 snatch blocks, a throw line, and a 150' bull rope. The first 3 items showed up today and the rope should be here by Tuesday.

100_3600-m.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to your progress.

Mike

Reactions: cjet69

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Never had much luck with the a tossing line, probably due to my age and lousy shoulders, but I have that one in you pic and have been able to get some decent tosses with it.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rope arrived a day early. The rope is Samson Stable Braid 5/8" x 150'.

100_3605-m.JPG 100_3606-m.JPG 100_3607-m.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Nice! What's the rating on that line?

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! What's the rating on that line?

Mike
This is copied from a website:

Samson Stable Braid is one of the best rigging lines available. In the 5/8” diameter, Samson stable Braid has a breaking strength of 16,300 lb. Stable Braid is a double-braid, 100% polyester rigging rope that is exceptionally low stretch, abrasion resistant, and runs best though an arborist block for false crotch rigging. Stable braid is flexible and easy to handle, which makes a great combination with the high strength of this rope. 5/8” Samson Stable Braid is incredibly strong for its size, and makes a great every-day rigging line.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Nice. Looking forward to how it does for you. Did your logger friends recommend this rope / size?

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. Looking forward to how it does for you. Did your logger friends recommend this rope / size?

Mike
Years ago we had a big fir tree that was leaning over the back corner of dads shop. He hired a crew to take it out and they were using a Samson rope to pull the tree away from the shop. They said it was some of the best rope for this work. Also where we live is a fishing community and a lot of the boats use Samson lines for most of there gear.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Firsthand word of mouth is always best! How did you pick the diameter?

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Firsthand word of mouth is always best! How did you pick the diameter?

Mike
Same size that the fellers were using on our big fir and it should handle anything that I will be tackling.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Gotcha, makes sense!

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried out the rope on a hung up Cedar top. I thought the gator would do it, but it didn't have the traction. I got a tractor hooked up and then the Gopro battery died so no vid of it coming down. I did get the Gator attempt on video and the top on the ground after the fact. The second vid includes an Alder tree that the Pileated woodpeckers have been working on and my favorite Spruce that grew on top of an old Cedar stump.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Nice. Hung trees (and tops) scare me. I had been using a cheap nylon line to redirect a few trees, I'm sure it was completely undersized for what I was doing.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice. Hung trees (and tops) scare me. I had been using a cheap nylon line to redirect a few trees, I'm sure it was completely undersized for what I was doing.

Mike
The Cedars here are known to snap off. Then you get a multi-top tree that beaks off easier years later. I've been waiting since Jan. 2017 for this top to get blow out, but it never came down. I'm glad its finally on the ground so I can cut what's left standing and put it on the sawmill.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
You might want to set the parking brake on the vehicle when using a winch like that, rather than relying on the transmission parking pawl to hold the vehicle in place while you are winching logs. The pawl isn't designed for that kind of loading, and it's generally not cheap or easy replace them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's a manual trans in my truck and I use a line lock parking brake lock when using it along with my best stop backing up to a tree whenever possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts