My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a cc1641 that starts fine (after fill carb bowl with gas) but stalls after running smoothly for about 45 seconds. I've been working on this for about 3 weeks and definitely need help.

Problem started about 3 weeks ago when I found carburetor gunked up with
a brown sugar like residue (left gas in it for about 2 months). I cleaned all of that out, cleaned carb really good with carb cleaner, drained old gas, installed new fuel filter, replaced fuel lines from new filter all the way up to carb. Now after putting in new fuel pump, the problem
still exists. It seems like the fuel pump is not getting gas to the carb.
I checked the pulse input line to the fuel pump - I held a small piece of paper next to it while cranking the engine - it deflected and fluttered like it was getting hit by pulses of air.
I've used fresh gas thru all of this. I've pulled the fuel line off to the fuel pump and held it down below the gas tank - gas flows freely into a container.
I'm at my wits end with this and would appreciate help from anyone.
Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Fuel pump function description sounds as if OK. Remove air cleaner. while assistant cranks engine to start, spray cuppla shots of rattlecan carb cleaner directly into carb throat. If engine catches and tries to run, still a fuel delivery prob. Good chance that load/idle circuits are still blocked.
Remove/disassemble carb again. Soak in carb cleaner overnite to loosen gunk. Next day using stiff brass small dia wire & MAGNIFYING GLASS, probe EVERY orifice/passagway in carb body/components. Blow out same with compressed air to clear any debris. rebuild using fresh rebuild kit. do not reuse old gaskets. chk seat of fuel inlet valve. If equipped, check for afterfire solenoid valve at carb bottom not sticking. reasm carb and test.
let us know results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update - pretty sure fuel pump is working now. This morning I removed carb cover and took out float and needle valve. Disconnected both spark plugs
and cranked engine. After a couple of seconds got a big spurt of gas from the
inlet port in carb. Good indication that fuel pump is working. Also noticed that
the fuel filter is now about 1/3 full of gas.
Put float and needle valve back in and noticed that float operation was sticky. I adjusted float and now it seems to operate quite well.

Put it all back together (first time without filling carb bowl with gas) and it
started right up. Ran for 10-12 seconds and stalled out. Took carb cover off again and noticed carb bowl is about 1/3 full - that gas was put in there by the
fuel pump. But it appears that the float/needle valve are sticking somewhat - let gas into carb initially ? I'll try replacing float and needle valve. Any other thoughts on what else to try.
Anyone know of source other that partstree.com - they want $27 for float and $31 for needle valve - highway robbery.
Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I finally fixed it. The float was not sticking like I suspected. When
I pulled top off carb again, the float was down indicating that it was allowing
gas in.

Tested fuel pump again, using previous setup. No gas spurts this time.
Removed fuel line to carb and connected spare section of fuel line to pump
output - got good fuel flow into empty container. Suspected that the inlet
port to carb was still gummed up (this is port fed by line from fuel pump).
Sprayed it with carb cleaner 3 times. Put everything back together and it fired
up and ran great.

Now I need to work on the real problem with this machine. A neighbor traded
this to me and the engine has always stalled when I engage the PTO. I've adjusted the PTO clutch to specs, checked all of the belts. I pulled the mower
deck off and removed all 3 of the mower blade spindles. They seem fine. Took
them to a mower shop and the guy there said they looked good. It may be that the engine gas flow has been weak and the engine just stalled with the
heavy load of the mower engaged. I think I'll save that problem for tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone,
Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts